• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: DiCaprio, Jolie & Pitt's Family Are Anime Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Who knows, the wuss from Titanic just might succeed where the awesome architects of The Matrix, the Wachowski brothers, failed!

*ring* *ring*

Hi, LagannImpact? This is the 21st century calling. Would you like to come join us some time?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard from people who have, I'm under the impression that it was supposed to be over-the-top and insane. When I think about it, I don't think there is a way to make a Speed Racer live-action adaptation that isn't. From what I can tell, fans just loved that it captured the essence of the original. A strange, colorful ride that's lulzworthy when you sit back and think about what you're watching Very Happy

Oh, it is insane. I have ADHD, and I can barely keep up with the crazy fast racing.

Seriously, rent/buy it and watch it. You will not regret it.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
1. Don't release articles like this

2. People won't wear there junk on their forehead (this includes the mods and admins)

3. Profit, get back to real news
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zin5ki:
Quote:
Separate works, separate titles, separate canons.

If you believe that, then you'll really love Black Swan. Rolling Eyes

mdo: Jackson Rathbone is famous? Laughing Too bad Megan Fox likes it, though, as her tastes in general make the rest of us look bad.

As for Ghibli films being widely known, that's the case in Japan. Over here, they're the equivalent of Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Saturn: Replace Animatrix with HALO Legends, and I'll agree with you.

I don't see any problem with celebs liking anime and manga. I don't see anything worng with Megan Fox liking it, it's not like everyday you'll find a hot-looking girl digging nerdy stuff. By your logic, should we not let hot-looking girl play video game. We don't know what other anime Megan Fox may have watch. She might have a big DVD collection (anybody know if MTV Cribs showed people her home). Hey the next time you meet a hot girl and she like anime and manga, you might miss out a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
mdo:
Quote:
Hey the next time you meet a hot girl and she like anime and manga, you might miss out a lot.

If she's as dumb or as high-maintenance as Fox, I'd get bored fast, believe me.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

2. People won't wear there junk on their forehead (this includes the mods and admins)

Alright, enough is enough. Any further posts whining about how newsworthy this non-news article is will simply have the post deleted. If you wish to provide feedback and discuss the matter more there is a forum for that, please take it there and stop derailing this topic.

If you're looking for how the markets are doing do you open the sports section? If you want the weather do you flip to the classifieds? This is clearly indicated as an interest article and not a news article, if you want the news then click the articles that are labeled as such. Regardless, if you feel you have to complain about a non-news article not being news then take it to the feedback forum and voice your concerns, otherwise it'll be considered OT and not contributing to the discussion and simply removed from this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
mdo:
Quote:
Hey the next time you meet a hot girl and she like anime and manga, you might miss out a lot.

If she's as dumb or as high-maintenance as Fox, I'd get bored fast, believe me.

Word. I actually found the girl that was into BDSM and Paganism actually abit more well rounded than the Anime chick I once dated. She was abit batshit insane to say the least.

Think of the hambeast with the multiple cat ears and Yaoi paddle in the Anime News Nina comic, only abit more fit, blonde, and loaded with cash. I s*** you not, she went thru cars so fast the local tow yards and scrap yards hated seeing her face.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
That was a good movie, inception. Anime hyper

Sooo the poster had help from Bloody Monday creators! Hell Yes!

who doesn't like Miyazaki movies. They are golden!
Mika20

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
I think it's really cool that Jolie lets her kids watch movies like Ponyo (which of course is an awesome anime movie). Stars are just like us. They can be anime fans too, even DiCaprio was obvious when he said how he wants to be part of the "Akira" movie project.

What I'd like to see is both the stars cosplay. That would be worth taking pictures of.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
I just don't understand the complaining. All news outlets have this sort of thing, so why can't ANN have it as well? Good for those who are interested and if you're not, don't bother reading it.

It would be interesting to see what other anime their kids might like in the future if they ever want to branch out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:

We never stopped posting real news. There's very little sharing of resources between news and interest, so the work on interest pieces take nothing away from the time and effort we are able to dedicate to news. Likewise, if we stop doing interest, it won't mean more "hard" news (it would just mean 1 out of work interest writer, not something we want).

Respectable, major sources like NYT, CNN and BBC do interest pieces and are respected nonetheless. Why would doing similar work as the most respected names in journalism make us any less respectable?

Finally, as I said, the interest pieces take nothing away from the material you do like. If you don't like the interest pieces, just don't read them.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
You're wasting your time trying to explain it to them tempest.

The fact that the first response to an interest article is "go back to real news" even though real news has never stopped being posted shows that these people want to be reactionary and stubborn.

In fact, the additional article genres are MORE content for ANN visitors.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Nice to see a article. I remember on other anime forum like myanimelist we would talk about celebrities (non-Japanese one, since anime and manga are mainstream over there) who are anime fan. Here's a interesting pic of celebs who are anime fan:

source: http://slumz.boxden.com/f429/famous-people-who-like-anime-1318621/

Also, did you know Megan Fox like anime? I'm not lying I was shocked that Megan said this and she said that on Seventeen/Cosmogirlmagazine.

Quote:
HOW DID YOU GET INTO YOUR LOVE OF ANIME AND GRAPHIC NOVELS?

I started drawing when I was about 2, mostly pictures of my mother and my sister. When I got into school, instead of taking the notes that I should have been taking, I was drawing in all of my notebooks. It was an artwork thing for me at first. But when I was 12, Adult Swim on Cartoon Network started, and they had a lot of anime cartoons on, like Cowboy Bebop and InuYasha, and that’s when I first started seeing it in cartoon form and actually started researching it. I’d also been a fan of graphic novels, so it’s that kind of art as well as Japanime art that I’m in love with. For comics, my sister always collected X-Men, and that’s where it started. Then I discovered this comic book Gen13, and that just opened me up to a whole world of animation. I just really, really love it, and I spend a lot of time on the Internet researching it. In fact, it’s probably the only reason I even have a computer, so I can go on and see the latest drawings from Michael Turner, who is one of my favorite artists.

We don't know other celebrities who are anime fan. It could be someone who doesn't even look like a nerd.

As real as this looks, this is the internet, you'd be surprised how many things on here that isn't true. That could be fake. Even so, who cares about the celebrities? Besides the anime that is mentioned on there is mainstream or near mainstream. Some of them are mentioned to like Bleach. Last I checked, people are ready to burn others at the stake for liking Bleach. I don't know why people are so excited about a celebrity liking anime. It's no big deal. For all we know, that could be the only anime they like, and have probably never heard of some of the more obscure and niche titles like Weiss Kreuz or Twelve Kingdoms. Are you people that desperate for approval? "Celebrities like anime! New World Order for anime fans! We are now "in"!" Sheesh. Rolling Eyes Who cares about conformity? Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5