• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some of Eva 2.0's music from Kare Kano...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I just recently got the opportunity to finally see Evangelion 2.0 and to my astonishment, some of the musical tracks in the movie appeared to have been reused from Gainax's earlier work His and Her Circumstances. Some quick examples (in spoilers for those who have yet to see it):

spoiler[-Shinji and friends at a marine wildlife preservation center- The music played in this scene was also played during the montage of Yukino and Arima's date craze at the start of episode 6.
-Flashback on Misato's past- Same music used for tense and emotional scenes in Kare Kano (ex: Yukino and Arima at school at night in episode 6, Tsubasa angsting over her father's marriage at the end of episode 12, the death of Hiroyuki's grandfather in episode 16).
-Asuka and Shinji's heart-to-heart talk in bed- Same music played for a number of tense, dramatic scenes (Tsubaki and Yukino about Tsubasa's situation in episode 12, Hiroyuki thinking of how to support his grandfather, Tsubasa confronted by Yukino after a comical chase.)]

Has anyone else noticed this? And to at least have some discussion going, post your thoughts over you think if this was one of Gainax's ways to cut some corners with their film budget for this movie and/or if they fit well with the scenes in which said music accompanies the scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
That. Was. Cheap.

I do think this move can be taken both ways, but personally I think they just cut some corners and stole "borrowed" Kare Kano's soundtrack. Every series should have it's own unique soundtrack as it helps to sets the right mood and bring up appropriate feeling, and gives us memories associated with that particular soundtrack and it's series. Here they just messed it all up.

Yet there is another beef with music. It is simply inappropriate. Especially insert songs. spoiler[When "dummy system" takes over and wreaks other Eva the music is atrociously unfitting... and then there is another insert song at the end of the movie that matches scene just as well as aforementioned one.]

Music is one of the biggest reasons I didn't like Eva 2.22 as I wanted to. A huge disappointment.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Both have the same composer, Shiro Sagisu. Either like Yuki Kajiura he re-uses themes a lot, or they had the relevant rights and actually did re-use some of the music. Never seen Karekano and not seen Eva 2 yet so..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:

Yet there is another beef with music. It is simply inappropriate. Especially insert songs. spoiler[When "dummy system" takes over and wreaks other Eva the music is atrociously unfitting... and then there is another insert song at the end of the movie that matches scene just as well as aforementioned one.]

Music is one of the biggest reasons I didn't like Eva 2.22 as I wanted to. A huge disappointment.

Finally some one agrees with me about the insert songs.

The first one was out of place but the one playing near the end of the movie was fine. But still it just ruined the scene for me, it was still a good movie but the music placement was just bad in some scenes.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 am Reply with quote
I said from the very beginning that the songs did not fit. To me they are ultimately a drop in the vast ocean of awesomeness, but still, quite... jarring. I found the dummy system one especially bad. Contrast - they're doing it wrong.
Cabal17

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:

I felt that juxtaposition made the scene creepier, which is what I believe they were going for there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Both have the same composer, Shiro Sagisu. Either like Yuki Kajiura he re-uses themes a lot, or they had the relevant rights and actually did re-use some of the music. Never seen Karekano and not seen Eva 2 yet so..

Adapting previously composed music to a new setting is not unusual. Various classical composers have done it, e.g. Sergei Prokofiev used part of his first symphony in his Cinderella ballet music. If the music is good, and it fits, I don't think it's a big deal. Possibly, recognising it could be jarring if you know the original context, but on the other hand you get fanboy points for noticing the connection.

BTW, lately I've noticed a bunch of Threads in the Anime forum which should really be under Music.
BMJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
I've heard more than one person describe NGE as "Shinji destroys the world while Anno plays unfitting music."

Personally I thought the 2 scenes with obviously unfitting music in 2.22 worked well. A children's song playing while the horrific gore happens on screen really makes the scenes uncomfortable to watch. It would have been trivial to play epic music in those scenes, but that isn't what Anno was going for.

Compare the spoiler[Unit 03/Dummy plug] scene to the scene where spoiler[the three pilots work together to catch Sahaqiel]. The latter was an impossibly amazing heartpounding scene of epic proportions, complete with choir chanting. Epic music for epic scene.

On the other hand, the spoiler[unit 03] scene has music that's just wrong. Which is the entire point. What's happening on screen is wrong, it's monstrously wrong.

NGE has always gone for soundtrack dissonance at particularly rough points. Hallelujah chorus? EoE in particular did it constantly. Kom Susser Tod anyone? If nothing else you can consider the unfitting music an homage to the original series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1