• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Resurrect the Book Club?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I wasn’t around for the last edition of the ANN Book Club because I joined this site right around the time the last one was finishing up. And since I thought the Book Club was such a wonderful idea, I started this thread to see if there is anyone interested in resurrecting the ANN Book Club? I would love to set up another session of the ANN Book Club, which would run from around June 1st until sometime in the end of August. If anyone is interested in participating let me know, in addition, please post any suggestions on which series you would be interested in watching this time. A few that come to mind would be: Kino’s Journey, Boogiepop Phantom, Koi Kaze, or Spice and Wolf.

Also, here are a few different ideas of what we could do in the Book Club this time around.

Compare two similar series
I was thinking along the lines of watching two series simultaneously that are often compared to each other, such as comparing Neon Genesis Evangelion alongside RahXephon . Or perhaps, watching a remake alongside the original, such as comparing Kanon 2002 alongside Kanon 2006 .

Watch the entire collected works of a director
Satoshi Kon would be an ideal choice, start at Perfect Blue and slowly work our way up to Paprika .

Last edited by GeminiDS85 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
If your going compare and contrast route you could try Serial Experiments Lain and Paranoia Agent

But that's just my humble opinion...

Or if your wanting similar series you could go with Steam Detectives and The Big O

Last edited by LordRedhand on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
Compare two similar series
I was thinking along the lines of watching two series simultaneously that are often compared to each other, such as comparing Neon Genesis Evangelion alongside RahXephon .

[Rubs hands together with maniacal glee.]

. . . . . .

But seriously, I'm only going to participate if gets renamed either "Winter Book Club 2010", or something neutral. No longer shall I put up with the discrimination tactics of you northerners. In fact, you know what, you are now the southerners, and we are now the northerners. Congratulations. Hey, and this way, the South Magnetic Pole is actually at the new South Pole (i.e. the Arctic), and the North Magnetic Pole is at the new North Pole (i.e. Antarctica). Man, I'm such a genius.

Edit: hey, it got changed. Being justifiably obnoxious rules.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
I apologize for being insensitive to our charming members of the southern hemisphere, so I changed the title of the thread to: Resurrect the Book Club?

I think comparing Neon Genesis Evangelion against RahXephon would be a very fascinating topic for the Book Club. I was thinking we could watch two episodes a week of each series and see how they measure up to each other. I actually have never seen RahXephon, so this would be the perfect motivation for me to finally sit down and watch it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
I rather like the idea of looking at a creator's work over time, namely Satoshi Kon's four movies. Miyazaki has too many and some of them might be a bit out of print hard to find in the states whereas all of Satoshi Kon's movie can still be bought pretty easily. Makoto Shinkai might be another option with three movies.

Also, looking at past book clubs, I think we'd need to try something shorter, like 4 weeks, because everyone got busy during Gankutsuou or could'nt watch much of it due to the strange visuals (for some of us).

In the case of a versus series, we'd not only need to watch 1 26-ep series, but two, and most of us could barely handle one for the book club duration. It might make its own interesting thread on its own, but for a book club, it might be biting off a bit more than we can chew in all practicality.

Either way, I think we'd need to go with a 12-13 ep series or a small series of movies or maybe OVAs related either by person or series. Or I'd wager at least half the participants would end up dropping the book club somehow. I'd think that either 3 eps or 1 movie a week might be a more realistic goal people could achieve, maybe give it 10 days not 7 too?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
Oh god. Not the Eva-RahXephon.... no. no. OMG. no. The result of an ongoing Eva/RahXephon debate could... well... *mind explodes*

You do realize you're unleashing dtm42 and any other fanboys/girls to destroy any sanity left in these boards?

Although.... it would definitely be nice to watch Eva again. Not sure if I'm up for the lullaby of RahXephon though. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
We already did one for Kino's Journey. But otherwise, it would be nice to get another Book Club thread going again.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Book Club threads would be nice. Focusing on a specific director would definitely be cool. Satoshi Kon would be a good choice (and would allow me to properly articulate my frustrations with a lot of his work, along with my praises).

Doing a thread dedicated to comparing "similar" series is a bad idea. It would just bring out fanboys pulling out ridiculous and underdeveloped arguments (as this board attests to).

If you still want a comparison thread, then actually make one concentrated on the subject; or, like you suggested, create one for an anime that is a remake of another.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
For whatever reason, the Book Clubs always seem to lose steam after a few episodes. I still think the daunting preconception that you have to post a essay in your post following every episode is a factor in this. Though, personally, it's been a matter of not being in the mood since it does take quite a bit of dedication to contribute in any way.

This time around, though, I definitely think that we should focus on a director's works. I'd recommend Mamoru Hosoda, because even though he's only directed 6 movies, there are still quite a bit to chew on. Only one of his movies is available in the US legally and uncut, so that might be a problem.

Kon would be cool too since I haven't really thought about his works in that way.

No comparing series for me either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

If you still want a comparison thread, then actually make one concentrated on the subject; or, like you suggested, create one for an anime that is a remake of another.

Huh? I thought Steam Detectives and The Big O were both remakes of Batman. [/joke.. mostly...]
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
My sentiments about book club threads are about the same as braves'. It's sad but most seem to lose steam as they go on and I think braves hit the nail on the head as to why this happens. But maybe we can get a good one rolling and keep it.

Mamoru Hosoda would be a good subject but his works aren't to available to the western fan base. Sadly Summer Wars hasn't even been licensed yet and his Digimon movies aren't quite in tack. So really his only movie that's legally available here is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (which is amazing).

Satoshi Kon might be a better pick seeing as his works are easily attainable here and there is allot to choose from. Plus on top of that his works are amazing.

We could possibly try Mamoru Oshii seeing as his movies are pretty amazing. We could do a line up of Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor 1 and 2, Blood: The Last Vampire, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, and Sky Crawlers. All of these movies are available in English so we can access them easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Huh? I thought Steam Detectives and The Big O were both remakes of Batman. [/joke.. mostly...]

And Batman ripped off Zorro, which in turn was inspired by real life bandits. Everything is a rehash of something else.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:

And Batman ripped off Zorro, which in turn was inspired by real life bandits. Everything is a rehash of something else.

I know I'm still trying to figure out the Giant(ish in the case of Steam Detectives) traveling underground through subway systems to appear anywhere within the city came from.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well I’m happy to see that there is at least some interest in resurrecting the Book Club. I’d be happy if I could get even five people to participate, so I’m open to any ideas that you want to suggest.

It seems watching Satoshi Kon’s movies is the most popular direction, but if you want to watch a different director, we can certainly have a vote to decide. I think Kon would be the ideal choice because the themes he explores in his four movies are very different, compared to a director who explores similar themes such as Makoto Shinkai. However, if we decide to watch Satoshi Kon’s movies, we would have to decide whether or not to omit Paranoia Agent .

@ braves and Mushi-man
Would you be more likely to participate if you had a longer time frame to view the movie and write an analysis? How about having two weeks per movie, one week to view the film and another week to write and share your analysis.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Movies or OVAs would be better than series. Not only is there much less time invested in watching them by a deadline, but discussing 90-120 minutes will have people much more focused than discussing 300-600 or even 1200 minutes of anime.

I'd love to discuss Satoshi Kon's movies here. Has anyone else read Andrew Osmond's Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist?

And, yes, where I am the days are getting shorter and the nights chillier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2