• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Masculinity, femininity and androgyny in anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
*EDIT* Survey Closed.

Thank you for your help and I apologize for taking up your time.

To the Mods, you may close this topic as you see fit.

Last edited by Leiser on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:35 am; edited 2 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha. I just submitted a report by mistake. Hopefully the mod will be kind enough to post it for me, since I can't remember what I wrote. If not, I'll repeat what I can; the survey was too short. I was expecting something longer, perhaps nearly fifty choices.

[Yeah. I can do that. - Keonyn]

That's what I'd call a short list. Not really that many, and I sincerely couldn't even find any sexy animated woman.
Guts and Griffith. Really an easy choice. Why Guts?
Shameful option 1:
Berserk's universe looks awesome. If I were in, I'd rather be Guts and use my rage and hatred as my strength's fuel.
Shameful option 2:
Hell. Even though pain seems to be one of the most fearsome human feeling, it's easily covered by rage. I have my own reasons for wanting to die while enraged.
I forgot the others. I guess I get the message; still trying to figure out what message.

I don't see the preview button. Screw it all then.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently taking a sociology class about gender and sex roles, so this was really interesting to me. I noticed that I picked more characters, male or female, that were emotionally reserved and quiet. For example, I picked Saito over Kenshin because of his cool demeanor even though they're equal in my eyes in the series. I think it's because-as an introvert myself-I relate to these character more. Also (although I'd hate to admit this) I think it's because character that aren't as expressive are seen as stereotypically masculine, so that probably had bearing on my choices.

I agree with Egoist that the survey needed to be longer.

I hoped this helped. Good luck on you're project!
Leiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, unfortunately after I compile the results I need write up mini-reports on each of the questions, so fifty would be a little too much for me.

Originally, I only had eight, then it went up to seventeen, but eventually I decided that twelve was more manageable since I have other aspects of the project I'll need to work on as well. To be honest, I am less interested in the number of potential choices and more interested in why they chose the way that they did.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hellsing Ultimate (Integra vs Victoria)
Chose: Integra
Why: I've only seen the first episode of Ultimate, but the whole of the TV series, so I'm going on that. When I saw the two of them listed, I realized I wasn't really sure which I preferred. Victoria is the more sympathetic character, and if they were actual people, she'd be the one I'd more want to meet on account of Integra being rather intimidating and - I can't think of a good way to put this - sharp-edged. However, Victoria is a little whiny in the beginning of the story, and as that's mainly what I've seen, as a character, I prefer Integra's strong and commanding personality.

Hidamari Sketch (Hiro vs Sae)
Chose: Sae
They're so constantly together that it's hard to think of them separately. Hiro is delightful and caring, but I'm going with Sae for being a little more complex of a character. Whereas Hiro's characterization is primarily as the mother (role) of the girls, and her next most noticeable quirk is her concern about her weight, Sae mixes the father role, her job as an author, and her awkward crush on Hiro.

R.O.D. the TV (Maggie vs Michelle)
Chose: Michelle
Why: Force of personality. Michelle is essentially the leader of the sisters. She's vivacious and outgoing, while Maggie is quiet and sedate. Also, there's that one scene, I think shortly after the arrive in Tokyo and Michelle does that goofy little happy dance because they come to the neighborhood where they sell books or something.

Bleach (Chad vs Uryu)
Chose: Chad
And in trying to figure out why I chose Chad, I totally see the purpose of this survey. The comparison is incredibly similar to Maggie and Michelle, but this time male, and I chose the stoic over the more flamboyant character. The reason? Um, I suppose Chad feels more cool while Ishida seems like he's always putting on an act.

Death Note (Mello vs Near)
Chose: Near
Why: It's a little like the choice between eating cardboard or getting stabbed in the eye. Mello is an obnoxious jerk, while Near is only boring. It's kind of a tough call as I don't really care about either of them, so in this case, it's less a question of which is my favorite, and more which do I dislike less.

Fullmetal Alchemist (Envy vs Greed)
Chose: Greed
Easy choice for me. Envy is rather loathsome. As the epitome of the deadly sin it's named for, Envy will gleefully employ underhanded and devious methods to punish any humans deemed dangerous or inconvenient. Greed, while still clearly a bad guy, has a kind of noble honesty about him, even if he looks down on everyone else as being at best potential underlings.

For Berserk, I thought about voting Guts over Griffith, but that's more based on first impression as I haven't seen more than the first episode, so I didn't vote for it.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Hidamari Sketch: Hiro or Sae → Sae
Lucky Star: Minami Iwasaki or Yutaka Kobayakawa → Minami Iwasaki
ROD The TV: Maggie Mui or Michelle Cheung → Maggie Mui

I like the tall/aloof/shy characters. Partly because I'm tall and quiet myself so I can understand how they feel awkward sometimes, and partly because I admire/love how cool and strong they look Anime smile

The only other anime I could vote for was Revolutionary Girl Utena. I picked Utena not so much because of her being cool, but more because the alternative, Anthy, is either a doormat (for most of the anime) or spoiler[an evil witch] (at the end).
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Can I suggest that you post a link to a video with a typical scene or episode from each show. I have not watched half of the stuff on that and I am not going to waste time tracking them down just to fill in a survey. I am sure I am not the only one thinking that.
Leiser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
If you have not seen a certain show, then all you need to do is pass over that show and focus on the titles/characters with which you are familiar. If someone has not seen a show, I doubt he/she will be able to make a valued judgment on a certain character based off a short clip or a single episode.

That is my opinion anyway.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
A good point however alot of the shows you have listed seem to be very niche. I think you may have a hard time finding enough people who have seen all or even most of the shows. But that's youre call Smile
Leiser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am finding out that that certainly is the case. Fortunately, enough people are answering, so at least I do not have to worry about there being any questions where absolutely nobody is answering. In addition, I have posted my survey on another message board, which definitely helps even things out a bit.

Still, you do raise an excellent point. In my attempt to diversify my questions I wanted to include a variety of show beyond the same handful of titles that most (if not all) anime fans are familiar with. Unfortunately, I went a little TOO broad. Embarassed Still, as long as I have enough data to finish the assignment, then that is good enough for me.

Que sera sera.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Leiser, I am intrigued by your study project as this is a subject I am fondly interested in, but the survey itself did not seem to address typical instances of characters with notable gender role situations. A few but not all. I am fascinated by and typically seek out anime that explores unusual gender role situations, crossdressing, androgyny and gender swapping. I'd like to know what findings you discover with your study and if you could PM me with a summary of results that would be great. I'd also gladly like to provide input to help you out, as I've long been investigating these subjects as portrayed in anime, and have a fairly good wealth of knowledge and experiences with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1