• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Acquires Live-Action Blood: The Last Vampire's U.S. Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Prodigy_child wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
I would rather someone got the right to this. With the bad release of the anime they did. Who in their right mind still does dub titles! For one of my favorite animes there wasn't to much to screw up yet they somehow did that. I have a feeling Sony is going to mess this up some how. They probably are going to make it a limited release so none of the anime fans can see it or its going to be dubbed.

Why would they dub it in English when most of the movie is IN English? Huh? Razz

And the actors appear to be English speakers for the most part. Only 4 Asians in the cast apparently. Jun did her behind the scenes interview (contains spoilers) in English by the way.
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
It's been repeated that the mostly in English and "other languages". And why the heck would they dub the "other languages" if they don't take up most of the film especially since the film is mainly in English anyway.
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Don't expect a very wide release. Sony snags the rights to foreign flicks all the time and (at least for me) the first time ya ever hear about them is in the trailers section of a Sony DVD.
Tratious

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
so sony has licensed a movie that they and production ig have created back in the day,this is wierd i always thought that Sony would have created an adaptation along time ago.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
so sony has licensed a movie that they and production ig have created back in the day,this is wierd i always thought that Sony would have created an adaptation along time ago.

You're a wee bit confused.

Sony licensed the live-action movie Blood the Last Vampire. It's Japanese release is this year.

Manga Ent. has the Production IG Blood the Last Vampire anime movie.

Sony also licensed the Production IG anime TV series Blood+.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Cool! A film to look forward to!

Yup, a new trailer comes out and it still looks like "not suck."

The best part of this is that should all but gaurantee a BD release after it gets through the theaters ... may take awhile for the price to come down from Sony-land, but most retailers know the drill by now and at least it will be out there.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Kind of disappointed that the trailer only says it's based on the "cult series", rather than "anime/manga series". (Studio trepidation after Speed Racer and DB: E perhaps?) Anyway, I don't think it'll immediately go wide, either, but I'm hoping for at least a better-than-Nightwatch release, at least.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Sony. I was hoping that we would be able to see this soon, Blood the Last Vampire rocks. Having viewed the trailers and such, I have faith in this adaption, more so than DBE any day.
Tratious

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Tratious wrote:

Sony licensed the live-action movie Blood the Last Vampire. It's Japanese release is this year.

no ANIPLEX and Production IG are the original creators of BLOOD(as a whole story including the tv series and the original movie and the manga)
ANIPLEX sold the american rights to Manga Ent(aniplex owns the rights to the original story with pro ig and they also distribute the original movie in japan)

i thought since they originally created it i was thinking they should have financed and created the movie and not some other company and then license it from them.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Tratious wrote:

no ANIPLEX and Production IG are the original creators of BLOOD(as a whole story including the tv series and the original movie and the manga)
ANIPLEX sold the american rights to Manga Ent(aniplex owns the rights to the original story with pro ig and they also distribute the original movie in japan)

i thought since they originally created it i was thinking they should have financed and created the movie and not some other company and then license it from them.

Not totally correct.

Blood the Last Vampire movie is derived from the story by Mamoru Oshii. Rights for Blood the Last Vampire anime movie in R1 is with Manga Entertainment and Aniplex (SONY) in R2. Blood the Last Vampire manga (Kadokawa) and games (SONY) came after the anime movie. Blood the Last Vampire live-action is partially financed by Production IG who gave consent for the film to be made.

The control web for this is prob not that simple with Production IG being the one with the most control as the theatrical rights are totally fractured with SONY only getting into the game in the US and Manga Ent showing some influence thru Pathe (spoiler link). Hopefully, SONY can retain DVD/BD rights in their home country. GiTS is another franchise which Production IG is calling the shots with regards to live-action adaptation.

Not touching on Blood+ as that is OT.
Tratious

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ok, but sony co-owns the rights and didn't they help finance it also i thought?

aniplex is releasing this on bd in a couple of weeks in japan

Last edited by Tratious on Sat May 02, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2