• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you imitate an "Osakan" accent?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
It seems like when the English VAs tries to do a voice for a character who lives in the Osaka region, they tried to do a variation of an "American" southern accent. Of course some people are somewhat pissed at the bad attempts made (like the English dub of Kitsune from Love Hina). So how "exactly" can you dub this type of voice?
Goldfinger0957

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
exactly how they do it in Abenobashi. gold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Gotta agree with that. The various methods of dubbing the kansai dialect (usually poorly) is one of the main reasons for my dislike of dubs, but I have to admit.... I really like the Abenobashi dubs. Those things are great... really carry off the Osaka 'feel' pretty well.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quote
*puts Abenobashi on shopping list* Smile
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, the problem I have with Osakan is that it's not so much an "accent" as it is a dialect, so there really isn't a good solid way to dub it. While I'm not a huge fan of the Abenobashi dub, it's arguably better than most other attempts the U.S. has made in the past. Of course, if you get into those city/urban areas, doing a hick country accent doesn't make sense because it's not like they are from some backwater hick town, and to me, the southern accents frequently carry it.

To an extent though, they might as well be speaking Brooklynese. If they need to sound a bit rough and uneducated, that's another way to go. On the otherhand, most people in the U.S. are turned off by that accent, so clearly it's easier to go with the southern accent anyway. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey,

Don't knock Southern accents....

some of us might not take kindly to it, y'all.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
While I'm not a huge fan of the Abenobashi dub, it's arguably better than most other attempts the U.S. has made in the past.

I haven't seen Abenobashi, but I thought that the dub for Ayumu Kasuga in Azumanga Daioh was really good. The accent was there, but it was soft, not totally outrageous like a lot of dubs try to be. You could tell that she was from a different region without it being over the top. But since Abenobashi and Daioh were dubbed by ADV, it very well may be the same VA in both (or one of the VA's if Abenobashi has multiple Osakan accents). Someone who has seen both lemme know if it is.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
Cookie in Rural Pennsylvanian wrote:
Well, trouble is 'et cha can't easly find an english dialect that's both distinct and pleasin' to everyon'.

eiean, lookit my centr'l pennsylvanian dialect. c'n everyon' here say, "the car needs wash't?" or d'ya have to say, "the car needs ta be wash't?". The first's fine by me, but I know some who find only the latter acceptable.

or, what's the propa' response ta "dj'eet yet?"
or, is the contraction of "should not have" ... "shouldn't've"?

'course, it's hard ta turn a spok'n dialect inta typed words. Nonetheless, e'en somethin' like this isn'd really that different from standard english.. But maybe they coulda' used rural Pennsylvanian instead'a southr'n.

Cookie in English wrote:
Well, the trouble is that you can't easily find and english dialect that's both distinct and pleasing to everyone.

I mean, look at my central Pennsylvanian dialect. Can everyone here say, "The car needs washed?" or do you have to say, "The car needs to be washed?". The first is fine by me, but I know some who find only the latter acceptable.

Or, what's the proper response to "Did you eat yet?"
Or, is the contraction of "should not have" ... "shouldn't've"?

Of course, it's hard to turn a spoken dialect into typed words. Nonetheless, even something like this isn't really that different from standard English.. but maybe they could've used rural Pennsylvanian instead of southern.

;)

There's really nothing that separates a language from a dialect; it's only a matter of perception and politics. Languages don't need to be mutually incompatible to be called "languages", nor do dialects need to necessarily be compatable with one another.

If you've lived your entire life in NE America, take a trip down to Alabama or Mississippi sometime. If you head out into the countryside, you'll find it's initally very difficult to speak with people down there. Likewise, if you live in Alabama, head north to Montana or Michigan; the difference in speech patterns should make it difficult for you to understand them.

Or, if you live in an urban center, head to the countryside or vice versa. There are plenty of differences between "American" english, depending on where you're from and where you're heading to.

All of these differences exist in Japan, as well. I've heard Oosakan used by gangsters and "tough guys", comedians and such. It's sometimes used as a "farmers" dialect, since it sounds "unsophisticated".

As such, the closest parallel in English is probably the language used in Westerns; a "tough guy" accent that, when done right, can be used jokingly or seriously, but yet typically is considered an unprestegious dialect.. some people go as far as trying to actively UNlearn it, in the hopes that their station in life will improve.

If she always says "ya" instead of the proper particle, what's a good equivalent in English? "ta" instead of "to"? dropping the g from "ing"? what about the grammatical variances (such as "-tooru" instead of "-teiru") or the vocabulary? How much change is too much?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:37 am Reply with quote
Interesting comments, but all too true. Cookie, having been a military brat, I've had the luxury of having lived in all sorts of places... I'd say that it's safe to say that I've been exposed in my life to many dialects of english because of this. Based on what I know of the Osaka dialect, it seems strange (but not surprising) to me that the industry wanted to settle on consistently using the southern drawl. Personally I'd just like to see them experiment a little more is all. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But since Abenobashi and Daioh were dubbed by ADV, it very well may be the same VA in both (or one of the VA's if Abenobashi has multiple Osakan accents). Someone who has seen both lemme know if it is.

No. Although the VA for Osaka is in Abenobashi, she played the little goblin. ADV is located in Texas though so it's really no surprise they have abundance of actors who can pull the accent off.

I thought the southern accent fit AzuDai and Abenobashi extremely well...better that the Brooklyn accent in the AzuDai manga anyway...
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
All of these differences exist in Japan, as well. I've heard Oosakan used by gangsters and "tough guys", comedians and such. It's sometimes used as a "farmers" dialect, since it sounds "unsophisticated".

True, but Japanese gets much worse than English dialects. For instance, the difference between a northern Japanese dialect (Akita, for example) and Okinawan are much more substantial... these are almost separate languages, in fact. Japanese dialects aren't really a difference in pronunciation as they are a difference in grammar and word usage.

For example, when I was over there, I had a guy from Kyuushuuu in one of my classes, and if he spoke in dialect, I had a hell of a time figuring out anything he said. Even the local Koushuuben dialect of Yamanashi prefecture was fairly different from the standard Kantou or Toukyou dialect, and Yamanashi is virtually next door to Toukyouto.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
ADV has two dubbing studios, the mainones in Texas, I think the other is in California somewhere.

And Gnollman, you're talking about American dialects, not English.

There are more dialects in a 40Km circle of my home that in the whole of the us. most of which are uninteligable to eachother.

Add the english spoken in canada, Autralia, Malasia, Hong Kong, et al, and you find an increadible diversity of dialects, all of which are english.

The Southern accent used in Azumanga is a pretty good compromise.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
True, but Japanese gets much worse than English dialects. For instance, the difference between a northern Japanese dialect (Akita, for example) and Okinawan are much more substantial... these are almost separate languages, in fact. Japanese dialects aren't really a difference in pronunciation as they are a difference in grammar and word usage.

A rap group back in the mid-90s called East End X Yuri released a song called "Da Yo Ne", which in Tokyo slang means "that's the way it is". They released 3-4 different versions of the single, East, West, south, maybe some others because the slang used didn't make sense Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:15 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this is a little off the subject, but I was wondering if anyone here knew what accent Mugen in Samurai Champloo has.

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to Japanese dialects, but I know his isn't the usual one (whichever that is Razz.) I'm just curious, and thanks in advance for whoever can answer this.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:15 am Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
There are more dialects in a 40Km circle of my home that in the whole of the us. most of which are uninteligable to eachother.

Is that a fact or just something you're saying? It seems that the country with the larger land area (by far) and larger population (by more than a factor of four), not to mention the country where millions of immigrants from all over the world have come bringing their own languages and cultures with them, would have the greatest number of dialects. It's interesting if true, but I find it hard to believe that within a 40km radius you can find more dialects than in this country that spans three thousand miles from one ocean to the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2