• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Debut Gets Australian Simulcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Jkid wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
What about the other English-speaking territories?

that is a good question...I don't know if they're doing Geo-region blocking by IP addresses.

I'd assume it's restricted to Australian IPs, but hopefully there will be some way for other regions to watch the show, too.

The same way Japanese-speaking Americans can partake in the festivities on 2ch Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Jkid wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

that is a good question...I don't know if they're doing Geo-region blocking by IP addresses.

I'd assume it's restricted to Australian IPs, but hopefully there will be some way for other regions to watch the show, too.

They're plenty of programs. Are we allowed to talk about them?

Probably not, since I'm guessing they're flagrantly illegal.

Hopefully this is a sign that other markets might get on the ball, though. As much as I use fansubs for preview purposes (i.e. not keeping them), I know a lot of people don't use them that way, and that it can hurt the DVD market, so if it were streamed, that would make me very, very happy. Come on, Funimation! Even if you can't do a simulcast, a week delay or whatever you had for Shikaben-hime would be fine, we wouldn't care, we just want our FMA!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
*must not be jealous* *must not be jealous*

*BLEEP* THAT! I'M JEALOUS!
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Good to hear other countries are doing this now. I'm sure Funimation are working to get it streamed on hulu or there site as well. They have done this with a few tittles so i wouldn't be surprised with such a big tittle if it doesn't happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Great news! For the austrailians... No one ever makes deals with the Uk Sad maybe if an American company gets it I might be able to see it but I doubt it...
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
We need it in America!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
jedimaster5000 wrote:
WOW, this is great news...now the only news I really want to hear now is for Funi to get this very soon (unless of course this simulca uses the same VA's as funi)

Took the words right outta my mouth, hon. Uwaaaaahhh!

C'mon, FUNi! You've continued to rock over the years, and you've already gotten the OVAs--so add this remake and you'll have the full roster!! Anime hyper Ohpleasepleasepleaseplease.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
We need it in America!

It will be licensed in about a year or two. Patience is key.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Jkid wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

Are we gonna hear Americans whine now too?! Laughing
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
We need it in America!

It will be licensed in about a year or two. Patience is key.

Madman used to sublicense most of their shows from american companies so that this would be an almost instantaneous equality to FUNi already having it. However, recently they have been licensing more direct from the companies. Also, it will be coming out in America somehow within 6 months.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Also, it will be coming out in America somehow within 6 months.

And you know this...how? Do you work for a licensing company? Or are you just speculating?
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
The programs themselves are not illegal in any way, shape or form. VPN tunnels are in common use around the world.
As for using them to bypass region restrictions? I don't see how it would be much different from purchasing and watching foreign DVDs. It could be argued that it confuses targeted advertising systems, but that's little different from using adblock or having unusual proxy settings.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
The programs themselves are not illegal in any way, shape or form. VPN tunnels are in common use around the world.
As for using them to bypass region restrictions? I don't see how it would be much different from purchasing and watching foreign DVDs. It could be argued that it confuses targeted advertising systems, but that's little different from using adblock or having unusual proxy settings.

Hmm... in that case, PM me some ideas, just in case Funimation (or someone else) doesn't get on the ball. Hopefully they're busily working right now to get the rights to it - if they have any sense at all - and it won't be necessary. I'd rather confuse the targeted ad systems than increase the risks of people using fansubs as DVD substitutes.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I previously thought the Australian industry was on roughly the same level as the British one. This clearly proves otherwise.

Though I don't have an interest in FMA, I'll nonetheless be intrigued to see how R1 anime fans react to being left out by region blocking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I previously thought the Australian industry was on roughly the same level as the British one. This clearly proves otherwise.
Though I don't have an interest in FMA, I'll nonetheless be intrigued to see how R1 anime fans react to being left out by region blocking.

I thought the same but I guess this is sort of to be expected since in England all the stuff we get animewise has just been imported from America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6