• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
I liked the animation and some of the characters, but the story just never got interesting, and the ending didn’t feel satisfying.

The opening theme gave me a headache.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
You can call the story "dated and unoriginal" but I would call it "classic and refreshingly streamlined." There's no need to reinvent the wheel here. This is a show about dudes punching one another. A clean simple story to hang the fights on is highly preferable in this sort of affair. Obviously you liked it's as much as you liked it, and different strokes for different folks and all that. However, for myself I'd rank the show as a solid B+, and maybe a soft A-.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Watched it recently myself, its much more grounded which is quite refreshing at times. It definitely not a show for everyone but, if you are looking for something similar to Kengan, Baki, Kenichi or Megalo then this could be something worth having a look at.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
One thing I do appreciate with the designs is that everyone who was fighting seems to have notable cauliflower ears in their designs. It’s something that gets looked over in a lot of MMA and boxing shows.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote
If i had to rank it out of the 100 or so 2024 animes so far it would be in the last 10%. I'm usually into martial art and had high expectation with the original novel being from the golden era of this genre but from beginning to end it never catches me, probably because everything felt blank, be it the characters, the dramas or the action, the fights especially were way inferior to most martial art franchise we had in recent year, even the currently airing Wind Breaker which in my opinion is only carried by its high production value during fighs is incomparably better. I wouldn't even recommand it to fans of the aforementioned martial art franchises just for those looking for Bara-ish vibes.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the show will do at least reasonably well for Netflix. Clearly they draw audiences with this kind of show (Baki, Tengen, Baki vs Tengen, etc.), and I see no reason why people who like those wouldn't like this one just as much. I know I did.

Actually, what Netflix has to do is bring back an old show called Air Master, which was basically a female Baki. It's not great but you could give it a more modern sheen, like they did with, well, the old Baki series. The weird thing about Air Master was that the fights were fairly straight (in a completely ridiculous fashion) and then only in the last episode or two of the 27 episode run did they abruptly start transition to legitimately superpowered fights. It was a very weird way to end the series, so it's definitely primed for a new lick of paint. Plus, then you could have Baki vs Tengen vs Air Master vs Garouden.
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Behind the scenes video confirms that the fight scenes are rotoscoped.
InvertedIkemen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a fair review, though I did find myself weirdly engaged in the last fight. It's a stupid non-ending, but I non-shouted "Counter Tiger King" about two seconds before one of the characters did, so I was definitely on the show's wavelength then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1