• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Hack Affects One Piece, Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai, Delicious Party Precure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
Sucks this happened, hopefully it won't take long before these show can get back on schedule.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:01 am Reply with quote
Am I missing something? Why do people think somebody hacking a large company's servers - something so routinely attempted it's rarely brought up unless it's actually successful - is related to Toei sending copyright takedowns to a youtuber?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:09 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Am I missing something? Why do people think somebody hacking a large company's servers - something so routinely attempted it's rarely brought up unless it's actually successful - is related to Toei sending copyright takedowns to a youtuber?

They're related by virtue of... being related to Toei.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:09 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Simply because Toei's most egregious examples have happened recently and this type of thing hasn't happened to any other anime studio in the past few months or years. It could easily be an isolated incident though. Either way, plenty of people are definitely going to say "that's what you get" regardless of circumstance.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
OrangeRafi wrote:
I have zero f*ck about Toei the way they treat international fans especially how they almost destroyed a certain Youtuber.

He deserved it. And now I'm mad I can't watch precure.

Lol, what? You're crazy.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I guess if you said something stupid over e-mail like the Sony hack revealed, that's a lesson to be learned.

Exactly. That was by far one of the worst hacking incidents in history, and I especially hope nothing like saying something stupid over emails happened at Toei.
#rajsaha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
OrangeRafi wrote:
I have zero f*ck about Toei the way they treat international fans especially how they almost destroyed a certain Youtuber.

I don't give a f*ck about a random youtuber who is totally liar
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I guess if you said something stupid over e-mail like the Sony hack revealed, that's a lesson to be learned.

Exactly. That was by far one of the worst hacking incidents in history, and I especially hope nothing like saying something stupid over emails happened at Toei.

But the some of the insight into the production process (and drama, like the Angelina Jolie Cleopatra movie) was pretty interesting.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
He didn't upload entire episodes, wtf is this fake narrative you're pushing? He used footage in transformative ways to literally REVIEW the content he showed. He didn't include entire episodes and he used it in what literally is defined as fair use in the western legal system. I seriously don't understand trolls like you claiming Totally Not Mark was a thief when you would have to claim a huge chunk of western reviewers are that going by your standards.

Why so triggered??? lol you have to come up with a much better argument to defend yourself than calling me a troll, man.
While I'm not calling you a troll, I will provide you the proof u need and thus the "defence" u asked for, even though I'm not catsplay.

A business lawyer said he was in the right, period. U can find the vids in the below link to his channel under the name of
Totally Not Mark's Toei Takedowns | YouTube's Content ID is Failing (VL590)
TOEI STORY | Totally Not Mark, YouTube, and Avoiding a Copyright Catastrophe (VL615)
and
YOUTUBE MUST ACT | Non-Fair Use Countries Threaten the Entire Platform (VL EXTRA)
https://www.youtube.com/c/HoegLaw/videos
and lastly the below video under the next quote means if there was ever ANY DOUBT that Totally Not Mark was lying, its now gone as YouTube ITSELF got involved and blocked the vids in JP and got him his vids back. U can watch the video if u wanna know what happened and how the legal system ACTUALLY works on copyright and regions and such. If u choose to not watch these videos thats fine, but u no longer have the right to continue saying what u were saying when its now been proven Totally Not Mark was wronged by Toai Animation.

Kyiev wrote:
OrangeRafi wrote:

i don't care about Totally not mark because he is a liar and he says that his videos dont contain toei footage but the reality is its contain a lot toei footage this is the reason why he privated his videos because his videos contain copyright material :evil:

U can watch the vids above AND this video which not only clears up why the vids were temp privated (fyi, they aren't anymore and are back in full) and that YouTube came to his aid (finally) but also the above vids explain how and why Toei were the ones in the wrong here. (Tl;dr, they abused YouTube's copyright/claim system)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZM_Jxj_Y5c
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
While I'm not calling you a troll, I will provide you the proof u need and thus the "defence" u asked for, even though I'm not catsplay.

A business lawyer said he was in the right, period. U can find the vids in the below link to his channel under the name of
Totally Not Mark's Toei Takedowns | YouTube's Content ID is Failing (VL590)
TOEI STORY | Totally Not Mark, YouTube, and Avoiding a Copyright Catastrophe (VL615)
and
YOUTUBE MUST ACT | Non-Fair Use Countries Threaten the Entire Platform (VL EXTRA)
https://www.youtube.com/c/HoegLaw/videos
and lastly the below video under the next quote means if there was ever ANY DOUBT that Totally Not Mark was lying, its now gone as YouTube ITSELF got involved and blocked the vids in JP and got him his vids back. U can watch the video if u wanna know what happened and how the legal system ACTUALLY works on copyright and regions and such. If u choose to not watch these videos thats fine, but u no longer have the right to continue saying what u were saying when its now been proven Totally Not Mark was wronged by Toai Animation.

Thank you for wasting your time fighting other people's battles and trying to prove something to some stranger on the internet, I guess Rolling Eyes
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Schadenfreude. Toei did something they didn't like, so any misfortune that happens to Toei makes them giddy.

I'm just curious if we'll get any leaks on the upcoming Precure/Sentai/Rider/other projects out of this.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Grabs popcorn. Woah Nelly not sure if the forums are filled with bots, Russians, or just trolls in general. Might need to keep an eye this topic mods.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they can beef up their security and the delays aren't too long. Much as I'm not too hot on Toei as a business (I'm not really a fan of the youtuber in particular, but what toei did was straight up wrong) that has very little bearing on most of the people actually making the shows in question, so I hope they aren't effected too badly by this.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for wasting your time fighting other people's battles and trying to prove something to some stranger on the internet, I guess :roll:
You're welcome stranger, it was never a battle though nor was it a waste of my time to post facts. Hope u have a nice day.
DopeyDragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:46 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I'm just curious if we'll get any leaks on the upcoming Precure/Sentai/Rider/other projects out of this.

Toei TV is a separate company owned by Toei Co, that latter of which only owns ~30% of Toei Animation. We won't be seeing anything related to live action productions, if anything leaks at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3