• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if it wasn't obvious before who the mother was, it's even more painfully so now.
Just look at this.

The moments where Sesshomaru saved Rin's life the second time in the Final Act are overlaid over Towa and Setsuna in the new OP.
And also this image from the preview.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:

Quote:
Don't worry, endorsing the feudal practice of marrying off child-brides is not one of Yashahime's many sins this week, and the perverts from the village are stymied when Tamano refuses their advances, and her agency as a literal child that shouldn't be married to anyone is respected by everyone.

Oh give me a break, how in the ever loving duck does this episode "endorse" archaic marriage customs? Because it features it?

James wrote "endorsing the feudal practice of marrying off child-brides is not one of Yashahime's many sins this week" so he doesn't accuse episode of that. He writes next "that isn't what happens at all", but as I understand the review that comment is regarding "her agency as a literal child that shouldn't be married to anyone is respected by everyone." part. I get it as "it didn't sink that low, but it didn't stick the landing either" thing.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

James wrote "endorsing the feudal practice of marrying off child-brides is not one of Yashahime's many sins this week" so he doesn't accuse episode of that. He writes next "that isn't what happens at all", but as I understand the review that comment is regarding "her agency as a literal child that shouldn't be married to anyone is respected by everyone." part. I get it as "it didn't sink that low, but it didn't stick the landing either" thing.

Oh woops, reading comprehension, what is that?
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
It just occured to me that these girls should consider themselves lucky in a way.

Towa and Setsuna are the daughters of a powerful lord. Had things not gone the way they did, they too would've been in a forced marriage situation. Moroha, not as much, but possible with her. Sesshomaru would have set them up with arranged marriages as per custom of the times there.

Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Tamano's story sets the cautionary tale there of what their fate could have been.

Females, back then, were considered a rich commodity. If they could be paired with sons of royalty or of equal stature, they could bring in wealth and the children bred of such a pairing would be considered gold. Now if they were men, they would be looking at heirs to the throne so to say.

Instead, we have the twins, heir and a spare, so to say, but as they're female, they wouldn't have had a chance to rule.

This senario could have been the twins' fate considering the time frame. Instead, thankfully, they weren't subjected to it. The next episode however will hopefully explain more.
rajputaman04

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
I always taught they had a cute relationship with Rin being the cause of Sesshomaru’s character development though I would never imagine it being romantic.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
rajputaman04 wrote:
I always taught they had a cute relationship with Rin being the cause of Sesshomaru’s character development though I would never imagine it being romantic.

Neither did Inuyasha's creator. She was not thrilled by people shipping the two. Which makes the fact that she is almost certainly the mother kinda... ehh...
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
Yeah, if it wasn't obvious before who the mother was, it's even more painfully so now.
Just look at this.

The moments where Sesshomaru saved Rin's life the second time in the Final Act are overlaid over Towa and Setsuna in the new OP.
And also this image from the preview.

The people who don't like that ship will never acknowledge it and will just disown the show and pretend it never happened. Meanwhile fans of the ship are already popping champagne bottles and playing "Celebrate good times come on" as I write this.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
uhhhhhhhh NO! the odds that kagura is their mother are ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE!

for one thing she's also a demon herself and those two are half demon!

more impotantly, SHE IS 100% DEAD!

so yea, its high time the staff just get it over with and just tell everyone what we know all along and that rin is their mother! PERIOD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
Meh. Yashahime is basically animated fanfiction so if the writers want to use it to fulfill their weird ships have at it. At this point it doesn't have much else going for it.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well the ship that everyone new would be made cannon and was consistently hinted at for over a decade was finally made cannon. Nobody can say that this was remotely unexpected since Rumiko Takahashi had suggested she might make Sesshomaru x Rin cannon over a decade before Yashahime was even planned. And then there were voice actors for the original Inuyasha who created a drama cd featuring a scene were Sesshomaru proposes to Rin. And then there were the animators that posted fan art of the Sesshomaru x Rin ships on their twitter accounts before Yashahime started airing. And of course there were the interviews were Rumiko states that the person Sesshomaru gets with is a woman that changed his views on humanity. And the only human that Sesshomaru didn't completely hate was Rin. Rin was always the only logical love interest for Sesshomaru, since Sesshomaru openly despised every other human besides Rin. While some people tried to shoehorn Kagura as a viable love interest. Sesshomaru was shown to completely disregard Kagura to the point of completely ignoring her unconscious body almost falling down a water fall. In fact the only reason who tries to help her is due to Rin. Meanwhile Rin couldn't get a paper cut without Sesshomaru coming in swinging.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:38 am Reply with quote
Holy-mother-of-God...

This episode was a master class on how you don't make an info dumb, not just 90% of it it's just people standing still throwing exposition at each other, but it even manages to explain nothing and throw more questions at the mix, makes TWO time jumps without warning and introduces 2 new characters that not just are there just to explain things to the audience but the exposition of one of them was just told by another character on the previous scene.

And on top of all of that, every character believes what people who have never meet tell them.

The best part of all it's the plot hole on Moroha's clothes and techniques, I always thought she had amnesia and only could remember what her parents taught her and when she was abandoned Inuyasha left her his shirt, but no, she can use Inuyasha's and Kagome's techniques, know their names and has fire rat's clothes "Because".

She also doesn't use a sole of the Wolf Clan's techniques nor acts like one.

I also can't remember if the serpent told the girls that the pearls were hers originally, if not, then holy crap...

And finally, ends with an scene with the pirate acting all smug about what just happened, I can only define it as the writhing team high fiving each other for the master class on history telling they just gave.

Give a damn break.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Now I expected that the Sesshomaru X Rin relationship being confirmed would be controversial. But I did not expect the Inuyasha tag on tumblr to be bombarded by unhinged people posting death threats targeting anyone who supports the pairing. If people don’t like that pairing that’s their right. But if you find yourself threatening to kill people over cartoon characters. You need a therapist.

I will say this again if you don’t like this pairing you don’t have to. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but not to their own facts.

The original show made it clear that Sesshomaru only traveled with Rin for a few months before leaving her with Kaede. It was Kaede that raised Rin for the majority of her childhood not Sesshomaru. Yashahime even makes this clear since the first episode shows Rin living with Kaede, with Sesshomaru nowhere in sight. How can people insist that he was her father figure when he did only the bare minimum to raise her is beyond me. Merely being in proximity to a child is not parenting.

People are also saying that he impregnated her as a teen. There is no evidence that she was a teen when she became pregnant. The show never states her age so we have no idea how old she was when she became pregnant. This is a myth that exists solely to demonize the shows creators as pedophiles that support child grooming. This has gotten so bad that I have actually scene people trying to organize harassment mobs in order to get the shows creators fired. If you don’t like the show fine. I can’t tell you what to like. But harassing the show’s creators, sending fans death threats, accusing people of being pedophiles, and trying to get the shows creators fired. Is not behavior that should be tolerated or condoned.

Last edited by MetalEmolga7 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The Inuyasha Fandom Wiki lists Rin's age at the end of The Final Act as 11, and 18 years have passed since then. Both of these value feel accurate. Since Towa, Setsuna, and Moroha are all 14 (with the twins clearly having a few months on Moroha), that means that Rin had to have given birth to them when she was 15.

I couldn't find good information on average first childbirth age in Japan during that era, but in Europe at the time sources seem to agree that average age of first childbirth for women of Rin's social status was probably in the early 20s. (Poor women tended to have their first child much later than wealthier women, likely primarily because of nutritional reasons.) Since similar conditions existed in 16th century Japan, their figures are probably similar. So yeah, getting impregnated at 14 and having kids at 15 would have been on the young side (and, frankly, somewhat dangerous for the woman), though hardly unheard-of.

The unseemliness of that is a matter of personal taste. That aside, I am glad that the most recent episode took the time to lay all of this out in coherent fashion, as a lot of what's going on in the current time now makes more sense. (And I don't get this complaint about "90% exposition." It's a gross exaggeration at best.) I look forward to seeing next episode more details about how Moroha ended up getting raised in Koga's tribe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Holy-mother-of-God...
This episode was a master class on how you don't make an info dump...

Extremely clumsy way to deliver all this info. Actually feels insulting to have the producers essentially tell us
"There stupids, happy!? Now shut the fudge up and keep watching the show".
Instead of just jerking off the audience, maybe have Riku bring our girls aside and actually tell them all this so that we experience it firsthand through them and grow as compelled as they are when they decide to go save their mothers.

MetalEmolga7 wrote:
Now I expected that the Sesshomaru X Rin relationship being confirmed would be controversial. But I did not expect the Inuyasha tag on tumblr to be bombarded by unhinged people posting death threats targeting anyone who supports the pairing. If people don’t like that pairing that’s their right. But if you find yourself threatening to kill people over cartoon characters. You need a therapist.

Hurt people, hurt people. It's sad that victims of trauma often lash out violently at anything that reminds them of their pain, but at the same time they're (presumably) adults with a responsibility to not unduly harm others, and there are much better ways to handle your baggage. Therapy, yes, hysterically screaming at Japanese animators, no.

Also, pedantic, but Rin is in all likelihood a LATE teen mom, but so what? Sango was 16 when she had her twins and wackos weren't planning on burning Rumiko's house down over that. Plus it's the frickin 16th century, that where most women would've had their first kids anyway.

Plus, just look at them, they're adorable. You'd need to be pretty black hearted to see this and get angry.

Poor Rin was orphaned, beaten, ostracized, ripped apart by wolves, had to steal and forage the wilderness to feed herself, nearly killed by demons on multiple occasions, and then killed again while nearly having her soul devoured.
But despite all that she was still able to grow-up, marry the man of her dreams, and look upon her own baby daughters' sleeping faces (if for a fleeting moment).
A culmination of Rin's story of survival, a very beautiful thing, even if the show isn't all that great.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The Inuyasha Fandom Wiki lists Rin's age at the end of The Final Act as 11, and 18 years have passed since then. Both of these value feel accurate. Since Towa, Setsuna, and Moroha are all 14 (with the twins clearly having a few months on Moroha), that means that Rin had to have given birth to them when she was 15.

I couldn't find good information on average first childbirth age in Japan during that era, but in Europe at the time sources seem to agree that average age of first childbirth for women of Rin's social status was probably in the early 20s. (Poor women tended to have their first child much later than wealthier women, likely primarily because of nutritional reasons.) Since similar conditions existed in 16th century Japan, their figures are probably similar. So yeah, getting impregnated at 14 and having kids at 15 would have been on the young side (and, frankly, somewhat dangerous for the woman), though hardly unheard-of.

The unseemliness of that is a matter of personal taste. That aside, I am glad that the most recent episode took the time to lay all of this out in coherent fashion, as a lot of what's going on in the current time now makes more sense. (And I don't get this complaint about "90% exposition." It's a gross exaggeration at best.) I look forward to seeing next episode more details about how Moroha ended up getting raised in Koga's tribe.

Someone compiled a time line using multiple official sources https://rb.gy/ne7rmz. And with the limited official information about the characters ages that exists the youngest she could have been when giving birth to the twins is 16. Her age during the original show was never mentioned in the anime or the manga. Just a German movie pamphlet. Which is a sketchy source at best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 29