• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alkeia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Axbox360 wrote:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/910N2hq2oVL._SL1500_.jpg
^Not to mention Nightow did this illustration of black and white for on of the DVD covers for the anime so he probably approved Matsumoto's idea[/url]

Okay kid now you're just bloody reaching. Mangakas do NOT get any say on an anime adaption of their series unless the staff actually gives two flying sh*ts about their opinion (which is maybe only 5% of the time). Compliance does not mean acceptance. If you've ever touched Nightow's previous works, or the KKSS manga, you'd know that Black and White's bland, tropey, overused archetypes are the farthest things from his type.
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
I'm glad someone else is mad about this too

in the interest of Good Cop Bad Cop, I encurage everyone to buy the manga because it is really great and has tons of reread value. it feels like Nightow's been wanting to make this manga his entire life and his ideas burst off the page like nothing I've ever read before

Also yeah, Black and White were in part awful because they're so far away from Nightow's writing style. In a world where everything is a reference to Tarantino or Spawn, you have these two milquetoast shounen characters with nothing unique about them at all. It felt pervasive.
AnimeFan1994

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:

in the interest of Good Cop Bad Cop, I encurage everyone to buy the manga because it is really great and has tons of reread value. it feels like Nightow's been wanting to make this manga his entire life and his ideas burst off the page like nothing I've ever read before

Also yeah, Black and White were in part awful because they're so far away from Nightow's writing style. In a world where everything is a reference to Tarantino or Spawn, you have these two milquetoast shounen characters with nothing unique about them at all. It felt pervasive.

Meh. I'm not mad. I mean if the black and white stuff was anime original that means the pointless chess game in episode 3 was manga content right? And the episode with a the mushroom alien nej? And the underground fight with Klaus that kind of went nowhere?
I am sure there is probably more development with Libra in the the manga. But The manga content seems pretty flawed too. Do they ever try to figure out a way out of the bubble covering New York? Feels too much like a slice of life.

Even episodes of Trigun Vash just kept traveling around in the 1st half with a lot of one off characters we don't see for more than one episode except for the final bad guy near the end.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
Alkeia wrote:
Axbox360 wrote:
Nyron wrote:

if you're not sure, I will inform you.

Last season, every episode from 2 onward started with Black and White's subplot, and ended with Black and White's sublot. This stupid plotline was always 100% detached from the rest of the episode.

Episode 4 introduced the Blood Breed, the most fearsome enemies in the story, and it was almost a whole volume in the manga. The anime truncated it to not just one episode, but about 16 minutes total. The actual Blood Breeds had about 2 minutes of screen time. Just to make room for Black and White.

Episode 5 introduced Brody and Hammer, who are main characters. This episode's main story (Aligula and her car-eating car) was also truncated down to almost nothing, just so there could be a 5 minute long worthless scene about White.

Near the end, there was a two-parter where Zapp's master and Zed show up. This was huge. Major backstory for main characters, and another full-time cast member. And there was the second major fight with a Blood Breed. The entire fight with the Blood Breed was crammed down to about 10 minutes and ***half of the entire conclusion episode to this arc*** was instead made about Black walking around some ****ing carnival talking about NOTHING.

The first 10 episodes also completely skipped over entire plotlines about the actual main characters: Klaus, Leo, Zapp, Stephen, Chain, KK, Brody, and Mummybutler, instead relegating everyone but Zapp and Leo to background characters. Chain is a main character who had maybe 10 lines all of last season to Black and White's entire episodes' worth.

And finally, the last three or so episodes of the season were 100% about Black and White with no actual manga characters to be seen, except for Leo. The setting changed from the central city to B&W's stupid farm. The mysterious, unsolvable nature of the atmosphere was brushed aside and the story was now about wizards or something. It was all drama and no action or comedy. The narrative at this point had made BBB into a completely different series. And Black and White's story didn't even make sense, it was a convoluted mess.

It's like if you took Cowboy Bebop and inserted clips of Space Battleship Yamato at the start and end of every episode, and then swapped out the final block of episodes with Yamato, featuring Spike cameos.

It was really bad dude

Also, the manga is mostly episodic but it does have progression. The progression is finding out more regarding the cast's characterization and pasts. BBB is cool because the characters and setting are so incredibly endearing, and it's understandable that anime viewers wouldn't get that due to so many of those main characters being butchered last season. There are also tons of plot threads that get touched upon over time, like the Blood Breeds, the 13 Kings, the nature of the city, etc. It's all really interesting.

"Why is Klaus a 7ft tall human with fangs and incredible stamina?"
"wtf are Leo's eyes"
"why are KK and Stephen so tense around each other?"
"who are the 13 Kings?"

these are the mysterious the series presents without comment, and touches upon slowly over time

If I were to take a guess, this season will probably touch on the origin of Leo's eyes and the backstories for most of the cast. It's pretty much the same kind of progression that Bebop had.

Even if the manga has progression. There won't be enough time of all those extra manga plot points in a 12 episode season. And the anime might feel a bit too episodic for people who don't read the manga.

Black and white parents were castors were they not? In episode 2 of the new season they were probably one of the castors that helped held up the city in placed so the story was not "butchered" for something that was pretty episodic anyways.

The relationship with white and her brother was a great parallell contrast to Leo's relationship with his sister.

Your argument is automatically invalidated by the fact that the manga on its own and of itself is popular.People liked the episodic nature that slowly led up to bigger plots. There's no reason anime viewers all the same would not have liked it.

And Leo's relationship with his sister doesn't need a f**king parallel when the anime didn't even get to the extent of their backstory BECAUSE of Black and White's existence.

No the manga was not popular. It had an average of 6 on MAL before the anime came out. Sales of the manga and anime went up when season 1 finished.

Some people don't even like cowboy bebop (older anime fans) because it's episodic. Episodic anime makes episodes feel like filler even if it's technically not.

How can the manga's story be messed up if it's episodic? The series already has blood bread, invisible were wolfs, aliens, sonic monkeys and so on. Having twins with parents who are castors dose'nt seem out of the ordinary in this world.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
As my 2nd most anticipated show of the season(The Ancient Magus' Bride is #1) I am so far having a blast with BBB&B.

Also, you're going a good job, Gabriella. I'll miss Jacob as he's a big a Nightow fan as I am but I think you'll do just fine indeed.
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
AnimeFan1994 wrote:
Nyron wrote:

Meh. I'm not mad. I mean if the black and white stuff was anime original that means the pointless chess game in episode 3 was manga content right? And the episode with a the mushroom alien nej? And the underground fight with Klaus that kind of went nowhere?
I am sure there is probably more development with Libra in the the manga. But The manga content seems pretty flawed too. Do they ever try to figure out a way out of the bubble covering New York? Feels too much like a slice of life.

Even episodes of Trigun Vash just kept traveling around in the 1st half with a lot of one off characters we don't see for more than one episode except for the final bad guy near the end.

the chess game was Klaus' introductory episode. rather than have him appear and do some big leader-y fight thing, it showed that he has infinite endurance and holds himself to incredibly high standards. those are the core aspects of his character.

Nej and the cage fighting episodes were based off of short chapters in the manga. they did show important things like how Leo actually has friends, and how Klaus has animalistic urges that probably foreshadow something about him.

and the series is literally a slice of life
that's the point
that is, in fact, the show
it's seinfeld with vampire punching

no they don't go outside the ****ing city because the city is a central character of the show and is at the core of its entire premise

not going to bother replying to axbox because I think they may actually be like 15 or something
AnimeFan1994

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
AnimeFan1994 wrote:
Nyron wrote:

the chess game was Klaus' introductory episode. rather than have him appear and do some big leader-y fight thing, it showed that he has infinite endurance and holds himself to incredibly high standards. those are the core aspects of his character.

Nej and the cage fighting episodes were based off of short chapters in the manga. they did show important things like how Leo actually has friends, and how Klaus has animalistic urges that probably foreshadow something about him.

that's the point

no they don't go outside the ****ing city because the city is a central character of the show and is at the core of its entire premise

not going to bother replying to axbox because I think they may actually be like 15 or something

If they don't go outside the city then do they get imported or exported stuff from other countries into New York?

For example if when people in the bubble of New York buy groceries where do the groceries come from? There are not many farms in New York or at least we have not been shown a lot.

Dose'nt anyone in New York have family members or friends who live outside the city they want to visit? They all can't be fine with this kind of life style.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Axbox360"]
Axbox360 wrote:
Nyron wrote:
Niello wrote:
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
There´s an actual balance of moments, and given that so far there´s no overarching storyline to disrupt the episodic narratives, it´s all good.

I'm not sure how an overarching storyline could even "disrupt the episodic narratives", considering that all of that only really happened at the beginning or the end of each episodes. Sometimes, it even gives meaning to the episodic feature that happened, such as the episode where Leo took White out to see a movie together. If anything, it ties the show together, give it some progression and a sense of coherence.

Last season, every episode from 2 onward started with Black and White's subplot, and ended with Black and White's sublot. This stupid plotline was always 100% detached from the rest of the episode.

Episode 4 introduced the Blood Breed, the most fearsome enemies in the story, and it was almost a whole volume in the manga. The anime truncated it to not just one episode, but about 16 minutes total. The actual Blood Breeds had about 2 minutes of screen time. Just to make room for Black and White.

Episode 5 introduced Brody and Hammer, who are main characters. This episode's main story (Aligula and her car-eating car) was also truncated down to almost nothing, just so there could be a 5 minute long worthless scene about White.

Near the end, there was a two-parter where Zapp's master and Zed show up. This was huge. Major backstory for main characters, and another full-time cast member. And there was the second major fight with a Blood Breed. The entire fight with the Blood Breed was crammed down to about 10 minutes and ***half of the entire conclusion episode to this arc*** was instead made about Black walking around some ****ing carnival talking about NOTHING.

The first 10 episodes also completely skipped over entire plotlines about the actual main characters: Klaus, Leo, Zapp, Stephen, Chain, KK, Brody, and Mummybutler, instead relegating everyone but Zapp and Leo to background characters. Chain is a main character who had maybe 10 lines all of last season to Black and White's entire episodes' worth.

And finally, the last three or so episodes of the season were 100% about Black and White with no actual manga characters to be seen, except for Leo. The setting changed from the central city to B&W's stupid farm. The mysterious, unsolvable nature of the atmosphere was brushed aside and the story was now about wizards or something. It was all drama and no action or comedy. The narrative at this point had made BBB into a completely different series. And Black and White's story didn't even make sense, it was a convoluted mess.

It's like if you took Cowboy Bebop and inserted clips of Space Battleship Yamato at the start and end of every episode, and then swapped out the final block of episodes with Yamato, featuring Spike cameos.

It was really bad dude

Also, the manga is mostly episodic but it does have progression. The progression is finding out more regarding the cast's characterization and pasts. BBB is cool because the characters and setting are so incredibly endearing, and it's understandable that anime viewers wouldn't get that due to so many of those main characters being butchered last season. There are also tons of plot threads that get touched upon over time, like the Blood Breeds, the 13 Kings, the nature of the city, etc. It's all really interesting.

"wtf are Leo's eyes"
"who are the 13 Kings?"

these are the mysterious the series presents without comment, and touches upon slowly over time

If I were to take a guess, this season will probably touch on the origin of Leo's eyes and the backstories for most of the cast. It's pretty much the same kind of progression that Bebop had.

Even if the manga has progression. There won't be enough time of all those extra manga plot points in a 12 episode season. And the anime might feel a bit too episodic for people who don't read the manga.

Black and white parents were castors were they not? In episode 2 of the new season they were probably one of the castors that helped held up the city in placed so the story was not "butchered" for something that was pretty episodic anyways.

The relationship with white and her brother was a great parallell contrast to Leo's relationship with his sister.

^Not to mention Nightow did this illustration of black and white for on of the DVD covers for the anime so he probably approved Matsumoto's idea[/url]

OK, I knew that someone was about to post a "manga vs. anime" comparison. I´m open to adaptations taking liberties to source materials(something that anime series directors need to do these days, take more liberties), but as I have never read the manga, nor I care, these were my thoughts with the first season. I still hope an overarching storyline happens with this second season, but it should be written better, and structured better. As I said, White and Black´s storyline was not that complex, and it was poorly implemented, making the show have a clash between being either "style over substance show" or "shonen action adventure" and provoking the problems I mentioned earlier. I don´t care if it was in the manga or not, I just think that was poorly done in season 1. Thanks
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I've read the manga vs anime comparisons in this thread with interest. I haven't read the manga yet, but I plan to. Based on what I've read here, I suspect I will wish the first season had been more like the manga. Wasn't a huge fan of the Black-White stuff and I did feel I wasn't getting enough background about and exposure to a lot of the characters.
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I think people will get a good idea of what they missed (or didn't miss) after this season since it looks like it will be straight-up adapting the manga (including previously skipped chapters)

AnimeFan1994 wrote:
Nyron wrote:
AnimeFan1994 wrote:
Nyron wrote:

that's the point

If they don't go outside the city then do they get imported or exported stuff from other countries into New York?

For example if when people in the bubble of New York buy groceries where do the groceries come from? There are not many farms in New York or at least we have not been shown a lot.

Dose'nt anyone in New York have family members or friends who live outside the city they want to visit? They all can't be fine with this kind of life style.

ah i get you

So far the story has just kept the outside at arms reach. there are a bunch of plots about the outside world, like the chess episode where some drug gets outside the bubble, or Zapp's master's arc where they show that Blood Breed are abound in the world and supernatural combat happens all over the place. and obvs there are plotlines about michella

but yeah the series is at its core about Libra making sure stuff doesn't destroy the outside world
Axbox360

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SkerllyFC07"]
Axbox360 wrote:
Axbox360 wrote:
Nyron wrote:
Niello wrote:
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
There´s an actual balance of moments, and given that so far there´s no overarching storyline to disrupt the episodic narratives, it´s all good.

I'm not sure how an overarching storyline could even "disrupt the episodic narratives", considering that all of that only really happened at the beginning or the end of each episodes. Sometimes, it even gives meaning to the episodic feature that happened, such as the episode where Leo took White out to see a movie together. If anything, it ties the show together, give it some progression and a sense of coherence.

It was really bad dude

"wtf are Leo's eyes"
"who are the 13 Kings?"

OK, I knew that someone was about to post a "manga vs. anime" comparison. I´m open to adaptations taking liberties to source materials(something that anime series directors need to do these days, take more liberties), but as I have never read the manga, nor I care, these were my thoughts with the first season. I still hope an overarching storyline happens with this second season, but it should be written better, and structured better. As I said, White and Black´s storyline was not that complex, and it was poorly implemented, making the show have a clash between being either "style over substance show" or "shonen action adventure" and provoking the problems I mentioned earlier. I don´t care if it was in the manga or not, I just think that was poorly done in season 1. Thanks

Even if if the 1st season did follow the manga interlay it ran on a 12 episode time slot on TV in Japan and who knows how many volumes were out when the anime was in production. There would probably be still un answers questions about the world even if you did know more about the characters. Not everyone wants to wait 2 to 4 more years for more episodes of something that incomplete anyways.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Honestly i don't get all this hate from the manga readers towards the first season.

From what I got from the Sakuga Blog, S1 was quite unusual because Yasuhiro Nightow was working quite closely with Matsumoto on the series. Like the cover showed, him drawing Black and White on the magazine cover is quite an endorsement of this plotline.

I also read in this thread that the Caligula chase was cut off, but to me as an anime viewer, it didn't feel that way at all, and that was also the case with most of the things I would consider "manga originated" in this series. If it was only a series of 1-episode stories, I would surely have dropped it, especially if it focused on a different character each time. People regretted that the story focused only on Klaus, Zapp and Leo (in manga original characters), but to me that was a good thing because I knew that each week I would know that I would follow these characters (along with the Black & White story) and see their evolution, which made the finale that much interesting. Here for example they added a character that I doubt we will hear about again soon. It feels like the author thought of a cool concept, delivers on it on a single chapter, and then forget about it as he goes to another concept.

I understand why Matsumoto made her choices, as a stand alone series with no promise of S2, S1 was perfect, having a self contained story while enriching the world for manga readers (via the magicians role that became canon). For anime only viewer that were attracted by the Matsumoto name, she delivered what was expected of her, a poignant story about family and belonging that made her fame in Kyousougiga, while staying true to the world and ambiance of Nightow throughout. And for the fan of Nightow, even if she cuts the corners on the story, the action is hectic and dynamic, with a true Sakuga Feast at it's core.

If I had to compare with a current airing show, I probably won't follow Magus Bride this season despite it being my favorite manga ever because the adaptation just does the bare minimum. It follows almost page by page the manga, and sure it adds pretty colors and music, but nothing that I didn't already imagine by reading the manga. That's why I prefer directors like Matsumoto or Mizushima (of FMA 2003) that add their own touch over overly conservative ones that pander the manga readers by delivering safe adaptation. At least with them I know that outside of the source material, I will have an audiovisual experiment that I could present to people that don't know about anime as an example of what the medium can do.
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For anime only viewer that were attracted by the Matsumoto name, she delivered what was expected of her, a poignant story about family and belonging that made her fame in Kyousougiga, while staying true to the world and ambiance of Nightow throughout.

Kyousogiga was really bad and barely approached coherent, much like the B&W story. And it didn't stay true to the world and ambiance otherwise no one would be complaining. The characters fighting zombies in furry outfits in the streets isn't BBB, it's a ghetto "lul so randum" impersonation of it

Quote:
enriching the world for manga readers (via the magicians role that became canon)

"Enriching"
the world Nightow built is so dense that it didn't need Tiger Mizuki-style "enriching"

Quote:
If it was only a series of 1-episode stories, I would surely have dropped it,

Good, this isn't the show for you then. I guess you'll drop it this season? Because that's what you're getting.
Quote:

It feels like the author thought of a cool concept, delivers on it on a single chapter, and then forget about it as he goes to another concept.

Every chapter in BBB has a point. Whether it's to establish worldbuilding, character development, introduce a character or whatever, the concepts always come back. It's a living, breathing world. It's awesome.
Quote:

And for the fan of Nightow, even if she cuts the corners on the story, the action is hectic and dynamic, with a true Sakuga Feast at it's core.

Except the action was cut short all over the place and we didn't get to see half the cast do anything???

Look, obviously a director can take source material and make it their own. There are lots of great and quirky things about season 1 of BBB's art, music and animation. But ultimately it was more of a sequel to Kyousogiga than BBB. See my Bebop/Yamato comparison.

Nightow's last two shows, Gungrave and Trigun, both were vastly different from the source material. Trigun was serviceable enough even though the manga was better, and Gungrave is a darn work of greatness that was probably brought down by having to tie it to the video game.

but they both still felt very nightow

BBB s1 felt like rie matsumoto
and kyousogiga sucked so that's not great
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Never read the manga but I also though the Black and White story was disappointing. I actually kinda liked White, but some of her appearance in the story felt forced here and there but figured it was all leading to a big payoff so that was fine. Except the payoff was incredibly boring by the standard that had been set from previous episode, so that was a big letdown. The last regular episode (Black and White backstory) felt like it was pulled out of an entirely different show and was just cliche and boring and the actual ending wasn't worth much more, so much so that I struggle to recall anything about it now.

As for this season... meh for now. Ep 1 focused on Leo who I found really boring and ep 2 was just way too slow, could have been crammed in half the time, the fights were also really unimpressive, Klaus just standing there does not make for an interesting dynamic fight. Plus the story itself was just too reliant on coincidence to be taken seriously (what would they have done if there wasn't all 3 of them present there, cause any combination of two wouldn't have worked and if they hadn't been there everyone would be dead...).
Axbox360

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
Quote:
For anime only viewer that were attracted by the Matsumoto name, she delivered what was expected of her, a poignant story about family and belonging that made her fame in Kyousougiga, while staying true to the world and ambiance of Nightow throughout.

Kyousogiga was really bad and barely approached coherent, much like the B&W story. And it didn't stay true to the world and ambiance otherwise no one would be complaining. The characters fighting zombies in furry outfits in the streets isn't BBB, it's a ghetto "lul so randum" impersonation of it

Quote:
enriching the world for manga readers (via the magicians role that became canon)

"Enriching"
the world Nightow built is so dense that it didn't need Tiger Mizuki-style "enriching"

Quote:
If it was only a series of 1-episode stories, I would surely have dropped it,

Good, this isn't the show for you then. I guess you'll drop it this season? Because that's what you're getting.
Quote:

It feels like the author thought of a cool concept, delivers on it on a single chapter, and then forget about it as he goes to another concept.

Every chapter in BBB has a point. Whether it's to establish worldbuilding, character development, introduce a character or whatever, the concepts always come back. It's a living, breathing world. It's awesome.
Quote:

And for the fan of Nightow, even if she cuts the corners on the story, the action is hectic and dynamic, with a true Sakuga Feast at it's core.

Except the action was cut short all over the place and we didn't get to see half the cast do anything???

Look, obviously a director can take source material and make it their own. There are lots of great and quirky things about season 1 of BBB's art, music and animation. But ultimately it was more of a sequel to Kyousogiga than BBB. See my Bebop/Yamato comparison.

Nightow's last two shows, Gungrave and Trigun, both were vastly different from the source material. Trigun was serviceable enough even though the manga was better, and Gungrave is a darn work of greatness that was probably brought down by having to tie it to the video game.

but they both still felt very nightow

BBB s1 felt like rie matsumoto
and kyousogiga sucked so that's not great

Well according to this interview from Sakura con 2016: https://heroineproblem.com/2016/04/18/sakura-con-2016-rie-matsumototoshihiro-kawamoto-interview-part-1/

(Near the end of this interview Matsumoto stated she was a fan of the manga and got permission from Nightow himself to include the Black & white story into the anime.

And anime can never destroy a manga no matter what the manga will always be there. If the anime was successful in Japan than it must have been doing something right. Nobody makes more of a anime everyone previous thought was bad or that they did not enjoy something of.

Even Akira had the creator of the Akira manga involved with it's movie adaptation and it was still not %100 like the manga but still considered a classic. Same with a Ghost in the shell (the 1st anime film) the story telling from director Oshii feels very different from the original manga and even skipped this from the manga but it was still fine. Anime and manga are 2 different mediums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8