• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voltron Legendary Defender's Season 3 Trailer Introduces Prince Lotor

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, looking at this trailer makes me feel like I've really been missing out on this show.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely spelled "Lotor."
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
Hey ANN, his name is Lotor not Lotar!
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
Not to be too nitpicky but this is Voltron, not Beast King Golion that Netflix has brought back. Voltron was a product of its time and even with it clear flaws by today's standards it left a pretty good mark on those that remember it from the 80's. Loved Voltron as a kid and am looking forward to more of Netflix's take on it. Hoping to finally see Sven show up since Shiro has gone missing. Still miss the horrible over the top Scandinavian accented character from the original series and this would be the perfect time to bring him back. Even just to have Lotor kill him in the same episode.

Yes. Voltron was an excellent anime gateway back in the 1980s, I remember when they replayed it in the early 2000s on Adult Swim, wasn't really a majorly good show for me, though I guess I don't have the nostalgia for it (born in the wrong era for it). I watched GoLion and wow was Voltron kinda hard to take afterwards after knowing the uncensored truth that the Japanese version gave. Now granted I realize GoLion really went overboard as a kid's show about showing violence and brutality at times, which again is jarring considering the other lighter trappings of the show. So I understand why a lot of it did get snipped for Voltron.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Also in Go-Lion, it's pretty much implied that Sincline was having his way with Princess Romelle. (Forget her Go-Lion name). No way that was gonna fly here in 1984.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Also in Go-Lion, it's pretty much implied that Sincline was having his way with Princess Romelle. (Forget her Go-Lion name). No way that was gonna fly here in 1984.

Didn't Prince Sincline also have a harem too? He had dancing slave girls I think too. Yeah, Voltron kept a distance from the rapist side of Lotor/Sincline. Plus also all those sweet revelations at the end of the show from Haggar/Honerva about his mommy.
Basically
spoiler[ "Hey look your mom was an Altean woman Daibazaal knocked up and you're basically a half-breed psycho I'm betraying you now to GoLion. Also your attraction to Princess Farla is because you have mommy issues." He promptly stabs her to death for that in a psychotic rage and kills her demon cat creature. Nice job Sincline.]
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Cannot wait! This has me pumped.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll bet this version of Prince Lotor wants to marry Princess Allura.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
I'll bet this version of Prince Lotor wants to marry Princess Allura.

Because
spoiler[He's got mommy issues.
]

Oh if they feature that bit from GoLion.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
Not to be too nitpicky but this is Voltron, not Beast King Golion that Netflix has brought back. Voltron was a product of its time and even with it clear flaws by today's standards it left a pretty good mark on those that remember it from the 80's. Loved Voltron as a kid and am looking forward to more of Netflix's take on it. Hoping to finally see Sven show up since Shiro has gone missing. Still miss the horrible over the top Scandinavian accented character from the original series and this would be the perfect time to bring him back. Even just to have Lotor kill him in the same episode.

Wait... isn't Shiro just Sven? I remember reading that in the original GoLion the name was Shiro (Well Shirogane Takashi), and that in the American adaption they changed it to Sven? Am I wrong?
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure Shiro=Sven in this version. I haven't seen the original Voltron or GoLion, but I was under the impression that spoiler[Allura pilots the Black Lion after Sven "disappears"/Shiro dies. I'm pretty excited for that to happen in this version!]

Lotor is the bishiest character they've introduced so far! How does a Galra have hair that pretty?! He looks like he stepped out of an animated shampoo commercial!
Codeanime93 wrote:

spoiler[ "Hey look your mom was an Altean woman Daibazaal knocked up and you're basically a half-breed ]

Oh. Guess that solves it. (Thanks for the over 30 year old spoilers!) [spoiler]Wonder how Princess Allura will take it?[spoiler]
Next mystery: What is up with Keith? spoiler[How can he be part Galra?]
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Pretty sure Shiro=Sven in this version. I haven't seen the original Voltron or GoLion, but I was under the impression that spoiler[Allura pilots the Black Lion after Sven "disappears"/Shiro dies. I'm pretty excited for that to happen in this version!]

Lotor is the bishiest character they've introduced so far! How does a Galra have hair that pretty?! He looks like he stepped out of an animated shampoo commercial!
Codeanime93 wrote:

spoiler[ "Hey look your mom was an Altean woman Daibazaal knocked up and you're basically a half-breed ]

Oh. Guess that solves it. (Thanks for the over 30 year old spoilers!) [spoiler]Wonder how Princess Allura will take it?[spoiler]
Next mystery: What is up with Keith? spoiler[How can he be part Galra?]

Shiro/Sven's also spoiler[got a twin brother stuck on the Galra Empire world that ultimately ices Lotor/Sincline at the end of GoLion, at the cost of his own life. ]
I know it sounds hilarious.
And no I don't think Princess Farla/Allura ever figured out about that stuff at the end of GoLion, that was some in house Galra empire stuff. spoiler[Though it pretty much makes it sound like Lotor/Sincline has mommy issues because of it in GoLion and that's why he goes after Princess Farla/Allura in that version. She reminds him of his mother!]

As for Keith, all that stuff was invented for the new Voltron show, spoiler[ in the other past shows and the original show Keith/Akira Kogane in the original show was not partially of Galra ancestry, he was fully human. Though the original GoLion show threw in the end of the world as well. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2