• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Discusses Handheld Successor to 3DS System

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Now I'm annoyed. The released the New 3DS recently, 2 years ago? Now they want to release something new and I bet my hat you won't be able to play the old 3DS cartridges on it. The more I think about it, the more HULK SMASH I get GDI.

Literally only two of the handheld consoles have backwards compatible. One made sense (3ds to ds), while the other was kind of weird (ds to advance). I'm not miffed about it because unlike regular consoles, it's very easy to pull out one handheld to play an old game and then pull out the newer one to play a current game, not so with consoles that require you haul it out and hook up wires just to play a game from last gen. As for the the short life span of the new 3ds, I mean you should've seen that coming. It was introduced after the 3ds had been around for a while, and nintendo always does stuff like that. You know, introducing a new version of a handheld that's only marginally different than the one that's already out, think the 3dsi in relation to the 3ds lite, it's the almost the same exact deal.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The more cpu or gpu power the system has to draw on, the shorter the battery life. Big open world games are going to hit the battery life noticeably hard.

Hell, the 3DS will last you 10 hours if you play only DS games, because the hard ware power requirement drop so much.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
So they're crippling the Switch right out of the gate? Dumb idea.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
So they're crippling the Switch right out of the gate? Dumb idea.

That's not at all what they are doing. Or saying.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
It's officially 2.5-6 hours, and confirmed to be 3 for Zelda, which honestly isn't much different than the 3DS's battery life.

Good point. I've been mostly using my 3DS for DS games (Pokemon x Nobunaga's Ambition and Chrono Trigger) these past couple of months, so my perception of the 3DS's battery life is probably skewed towards less graphically-intense games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The switch is the new handheld and nintendo pulled out of the console market.

The pulled out of the console market by making a device that primarily functions as a gaming console?

FenixFiesta wrote:
, the irony being Nintendo need only flood its own digital library with quality Snes roms to satisfy the masses.

Going to be awfully hard to do that when Nintendo doesn't own the bulk of the SNES's library.

Kougeru wrote:
Dumb idea. They should just let the 3DS die when the Switch proves to be a success. The whole appeal of the Switch is Nintendo merging their fantastic mobile market with their extremely fun home market.

The appeal of the Switch is that it lets you play your console games on the go....I don't know where people get this idea that the Switch was designed to merge their handheld division with their console division. A claim that gets funny when you remember that the Switch can't play 3DS games.

Kougeru wrote:
A smaller Switch is the only thing that makes any logical sense. Smaller and doesn't dock. Anything risks segregating into two separate handheld markets.

....Except the Switch is console not a handheld so it's not risking anything of the sort.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Dumb idea. They should just let the 3DS die when the Switch proves to be a success. The whole appeal of the Switch is Nintendo merging their fantastic mobile market with their extremely fun home market. A smaller Switch is the only thing that makes any logical sense. Smaller and doesn't dock. Anything risks segregating into two separate handheld markets.

And to the person above me, the Switch really isn't very big. analog sticks probably stop it from being pocket friendly, but realistically if you have time to play a game where you're going, you should probably have a case or something to carry it anyway. 3DS XL is honestly too big for my pockets 90% of the time too.

I saw it as, "If the Switch does well, we'll make it like the Switch, but if it doesn't, we'll make it like the 3DS."

I can say that I always carry my 3DS in my pockets and I don't always carry some sort of bag around with me at all times. I would say that a handheld's appeal is greatly increased for me for being small and durable, which Nintendo's handhelds have always been.

Paulo27 wrote:
"The Switch isn't replacing the 3DS, the 3DS still has a long life ahead of it." They said, while thinking of a replacement in less than 2 years already.

They still need to finish Pokémon's Generation VII. It'd be really weird for them to switch systems mid-generation. It hasn't happened before (though the possibility isn't zero, now that Pokémon Bank allows for cloud storage of your Pokémon).

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I still don't understand how replacing the 3DS with something that has 3 functional hours of battery life is going to do anything other than drive portable gamers towards iOS/Android gaming.

Well, iOS and Android devices already have very short battery lives, especially if you're playing Pokémon GO on it.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Well, to be honest, I don't expect the Switch to be all of that successful, so I look forward to the next dedicated handheld.

Peebs wrote:
Now I'm annoyed. The released the New 3DS recently, 2 years ago?

The New 3DS was nothing but a slightly more powerful rehash of the 3DS. Getting mad at Nintendo for releasing a new handheld two years after that, is like being mad at Nintendo for releasing the DS so shortly after the GBA SP.

The New 3DS doesn't count as its own handheld. In reality, the 3DS has been out for almost six years. The DS lasted like seven years. This is nothing unusual.
Gustavo Woltmann

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
A problem for Nintendo, since its new and next console is portable (Switch) !.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2