• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
Sloppy_Jimbo wrote:
Tohru: "But you like it when I make things clean..."

BEST LINE EVER.

No, because this is a show that contains the line "sentaku wo nameru na".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I was putty in their hands when they brought out the dragon stapler. When I was Kanna's apparent age, I derived endless entertainment from my mother's staple remover, which is of course a pterodactyl. Wink

Also lol at how Saikawa's forehead is so shiny that not only does it reflect blinding beams of light, but it mirrors the guy all up in her face.

Did I read that right? The backpack (I thought the standard was yellow) was almost $300? Conspiracy indeed...
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 is the best episode so far hands down. The comedy of the second half plays off how diabeticly sweet the first half was. It's nearly impossible to watch some of the first half and not "Aww" at how cute Kana is being, specifically when she put the charm back on the shelf I actually felt a brief moment of guilt that matched up with hers.

While it's clear the show is trying to push a bit of a family dynamic with Kobayashi and Tohru being the parents, Kana being the child and Fafnir and Lucoa being the sort of perpetually present Aunt and Uncle you'd see in a 90s sitcom, this was the first episode where start to finish it felt like we were watching a Family Unit as a whole, and not just a bunch of silly dragons and their human friend. I loved that, I hope the show plays with that sort of dynamic a little more as opposed to just being a pure comedy.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I haven't been this impressed with a Kyoto Animation show since the first season of Haruhi. I can safely say that they're back on their A-game with this lovable dragon maid Anime smile
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually that back pack was 34,960 yen before sales tax and 38,000 yen total out the door.

And even though with the current conversion rate of $335.88 in USD, since the characters are using domestic currency to pay for the item the yen is still about $380.00 USD amount wise for a native citizen.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Did I read that right? The backpack (I thought the standard was yellow) was almost $300? Conspiracy indeed...

As with any product you can of course find cheaper variations, but typically randoseru are bought to last for all six years of the child's primary schooling. With that in mind it's not uncommon to spend 30k+ yen like this one here
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
So. Cute.

Seeing the dragons cut loose is still guaranteed to make me smile. The follow-up joke about learning to play dodgeball on Kobayashi mode to not incite further suspicion was bonus points.

I think this might be the sweetest family unit I can recall in anime, from the little moments like Kanna being adorably thoughtful in putting back the bunny charm to the silly OTT bits like Tohru (predictably) putting her name sticker on Kobayashi to claim her. I need this weekly dose of diabetes so bad right now, KyoAni. Thank you so much.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Haha this episode was so funny.

Kanna was "wicked" in this episode.

Tohru is an absolute riot. All she thinks about is destruction of the humans.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of amusing how Kanna sort of hijacked the show in the past few episodes (not that I have anything against more Kanna-chan). So with the next episode preview, hopefully the show can keep up its charming comedic nature once Tohru is back into focus. It also seems Fafnir will be more involved as well.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This show has seriously grown on me. I didn't really get into the first episode, but episode 2 and up and been very enjoyable.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
What I got out of this episode: holy crap backpack are expensive! It's a conspiracy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
I love the works of this author, they're so damn relaxing and adorable. It's so nice to have a series free of drama, tragedy, saving the world etc. I hope they make an anime of Ojojojo (manga by the same author) next. I think it stands a decent chance of at least being a bunch of shorts like "I can't understand what my husband is saying".
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this show so much, it's very cute and heartwarming. It's nice to have a show every now and then that just makes ya smile, and every episode so far I'm either smiling or going "aww that's so sweet".

Feels good man.
dash56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Man today was such a crappy day, so this was a great pick me up. Between Akiba's Trip, Konosuba, and this, Wednesdays are guaranteed pure entertainment.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 had me laughing out loud, (every episode has). Saikawa's taunting had me rolling! Then dragon dodgeball, a highlight of KyoAni kick-ass animation. And to top everything off, the first half's grade A Kanna cuteness. So far, this has been my favorite episode. And I must point out how perfect the background sound effects and music punctuate. Four episodes in and I can say without reservation this is my favorite show this season/year so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9