• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Watch With Your Dad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Tiger & Bunny is a good choice because the makers of the show specifically said that they wanted to make something that a slightly older audience would enjoy. There's some real stuff aimed at fathers in the show.

Eyeshield 21 is kind of a ridiculous choice. At least pick something like Cross Game or other Mitsuru Adachi works that has realistic sports (and appeals to a wide audience in Japan as well.)

Another type of show that's interesting for somewhat older crowds is an actual workplace show, like Shirobako (or even to some extent Classroom Crisis.)
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Definitely Madbull 34 and M.D Geist. But seriously, I think Yukikaze would be a pretty good bet to show dads. Perhaps Berserk as well.

As for the poll, probably Guy Shishio if he's coming with the GaoGaiGar. Not much's gonna mess with that.

Last edited by Souther on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
How about "Disapproving, Unappeasable Dad"'s choice, which is to berate you for watching cartoons in your 30s?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NormanS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
For the poll competition, there are a few I wanted to vote for such as Henrietta and briareos, but I decided to add rune balot from Mardock Scramble to the list

Last edited by NormanS on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
No Gundam Wing?

Mine has been trying to get me to watch Wing for years now. I try to suggest something else (even another gundam series), but for him if it's not Wing or DBZ, he's somewhat turned away by it.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
For the new poll I wrote in Mahoro from Mahoromatic.
She is not a cyborg, but that should be acceptable because most of the characters, that I recognized, in the poll are not cyborgs.

Of those that I knew the only one that I would not want with me in a fight is Multi from To Heart. She might be the cutest in the group, but I would not have much faith in her combat skills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I think about the only anime I would have ever considered watching with my father might be Silver Spoon. I know he would have gotten a few chuckles of recognition out of the first episode, and might've found the Japanese version of farming interesting.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
2. The first two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. That was embarrassing. It went down like a lead balloon. I thought it was puerile.

Well, a more difficult time may have been experienced if the last two episodes were shown instead of the first two.

penguintruth wrote:
How about "Disapproving, Unappeasable Dad"'s choice, which is to berate you for watching cartoons in your 30s?

Alas, in such cases it is best to be non-specific in describing your interests.

"What are you watching?"
"World cinema!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Ritsu from AssClass should not be an option in the poll, she's not a cyborg, she's a computer, there is not a single human part about her other than her screen design.

I've never really been into sharing anime with either of my parents. My mom in particular has always been very judgmental of it, to the point that I feel uncomfortable watching anything when she's in the house. Ever since I was little she's always found something about anime that she disapproves of. If it's not "too violent" (Dragon Ball, Bleach) it's just about "little girls being cute and doing nothing" (she said this in reference of Card Captor Sakura, which proves she didn't even try to understand it before judging it). She also made the typical comment about it being all violence or sex at some point. She never let me watch Sailor Moon or Magic Knight Rayearth. I remember when both Digimon 3 and Yugioh were airing on TV I had to bargain with her so she'd let me watch one of them. She gave up on trying to forbid it years ago, but she still made icky faces when she caught me watching something else recently, don't remember what. It's gotten to the point that I can be watching something in my PC, and if she comes into the room, I'll pause it because I can't stand her judgmental looks. The one time I thought I'd found something she could enjoy (Polar Bear's Cafe: no violence, no sex, no girls being cute and girly), she fell asleep halfway into the first episode so I gave up on trying to share this hobby with her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
^ What do you do about your figure collection?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
And when all else fails, there is only ONE anime to show your dad on Father's Day:
"My Neighbors, the Yamadas", preferably the Disney dub with Jim Belushi as Dad Yamada.

You have only to watch any given five minutes of it to know why. Anime smile
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Ok, some of the candidates for the cyborg character poll aren't cyborgs.

Astro Boy, Chachamaru, Doraemon, Haro, Kurumi, Nano and Solty are all robots. They don't have any human parts.

Also Yuki's an artificial alien.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Food Wars is a big fat NO for me. If I can't get through an episode without cringing, there's no way in hell I'm gonna show any of my family members. It's too bad so many anime have sexual elements, that's what turned my sister who used to be a fan away from anime.

I would say steer clear of any comedy that is very Japan specific, a while ago my sister asked me to recommend her some comedy anime so I recommended the Daily Lives of High School Boys which she did not like, and Hataraku Maou-sama which got some laughs but not as much as I expected. Japanese comedy isn't her thing I guess.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Children's card game Dad

If I were a Dad, I'd be watching Yu-Gi-Oh!(DM and 5D's) with my son. Of course, it'd be the spoiler[Japanese version because I don't want him to be brainwashed by butchered material like I almost was...even though the DM anime is not a perfect 1:1 adaptation of the manga, it is the less butchered of the two.] Very Happy
shea07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Rather than my dad, I ended up watching Tiger & Bunny with my mom and she loved it. My dad liked Rurouni Kenshin and some Ghibli films, especially My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Kaguya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4