• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Marathon Challenge: Q&A Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Please post any questions or concerns you have with the Anime Marathon Challenge in this thread.

You are also welcome to use this thread to find other buddies to watch anime with at the same time as you.

------

So this idea has been floating around in my head for the past week after the "Why is ANN so dead?" thread was posted, and I've finally decided to make a thread to gauge interest and feedback.

How would people feel about having an Anime Watch Marathon Challenge? By this I mean that a list of chosen shows would be posted and then people who decide to partake in the challenge would attempt to watch as many episodes from those shows as they can within a certain time frame. The list will be determined by people on the forum and posted ahead of time, but only the episodes watched within the determined time frame would count.

Why should you participate?
  1. Knock out that backlog. This challenge would give you an excuse to clear out some shows that have been on your backlog for a while.
  2. Discuss the show at the same time with fellow challengers and create more forum participation. The link to each anime's thread will be posted with the list and people will be encouraged to discuss the show.
  3. Give legal streaming sites more watches. Anime with legal streaming options are preferred.
  4. The person who watches the most episodes within the time frame and posts their thoughts on the series will get a gift card. This will be from my own pocket money and I'm willing to put forth $10-20. I was thinking either from Amazon or Rightstuf. I would also be willing to gift a one-month subscription to a streaming service (I know it's possible to do with Crunchyroll, I'm not certain about others).

So, here's some criteria I put together. You're welcome to add more or suggest changes to what I've posted.
  1. As mentioned above, anime with legal streaming options are preferred. Of course, not everyone will have the same access to the shows due to them not being legally licensed in their country, not having subscriptions, or other reasons. Therefore, you are not required to watch the show using the legal stream. There is no penalty watching the show using DVD/BD or fansubs as long as you follow the rules on this site (i.e. no requests or links to non-legal options).
  2. All episodes must be watched at 1.0X speed. Watching episodes at an increased rate using video software is not allowed.
  3. OPs and EDs and any next episode previews can be skipped.
  4. You are not required to watch every episode of the series (i.e. recaps, personal dislike, etc). Only the episodes watched will be counted towards the final total.
  5. If you wish to be eligible for the $10-20 gift card, then you are required to post your thoughts on the show in the respective anime thread. It doesn't need to be long or detailed, but I am going to require at least 5 sentences. If you watched the anime but didn't post your thoughts, those episodes will not be counted towards your final total.

At this point, I just want to gauge the amount of interest. If there's enough interest for this, then next steps are to smooth out the details, determine the time frame, and start getting a list together.

So, thoughts on this? Anyone interested in participating?

Last edited by Crisha on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
I'd be game. Especially if we can throw some older titles in there, I need excuses to watch them.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
I would be interested and I definitely do have the time, unfortunately I cannot watch streams so I would be limited to what I own on DVD and Blu-ray. Most of that is more than two years old, and even then it is just a small percentage of what is available.

In the unlikely event that a show that I could watch is chosen I would participate.
It seems like it could be fun and, as you mentioned, it would motivate me to watch something in my backlog.

In addition to my backlog, which is at 110 titles right now, I have a good-sized collection of shows that I have watched. I would not mind watching most of them again.
I guess that it is not impossible that something that I could watch might come up if people want to try something older.

You can count me as willing, but not necessarily able.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
I'd be game. Got quite a bit of free time at the moment.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'd be game if I had more time on my hands and didn't also have a video game backlog to address.

If I change my mind, though, I'll get back to you.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
I'd be game too, but like Touma, I already have a giant pile of DVDs to watch, and many are of older series that I'm not sure are available streaming, so if I participated, it would be with the purpose of burning through that. But if shows I have on that giant pile of shame end up being chosen, I'd definitely be interested
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Hmm...on second thought, I might be able to do this, albeit once we hit October, and if we're dealing with relatively short series. Can currently-airing shows be a part of this? I, for example, would like to give School-Live! a try, since it allegedly has some horrific twist or something, but haven't really been able to because I've been out in the middle of the goddamn Mojave on a military field exercise with internet that can't handle Crunchyroll reliably enough.

I guess I'll also throw Inari Kon Kon into the ring if that's how we're doing this. Hulu is even more problematic on this network than Crunchyroll, so I'd get around to it in when I get home.

Last edited by Gatherum on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
My backlog is still irritating me, and I'm a bit behind on many currently airing shows.

My goal is to watch one hundred episodes this week. I've got a day off work tomorrow (yay) so I'm gonna go for at least thirty episodes just on that day alone.

You wanna race against me?

*cracks neck*

Good luck with that.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I am not foolish enough to compete against dtm42 when it comes to hard-core marathoning. Wink

Besides, I'm already in the middle of trying to re-marathon The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye before my next review items come up. (Great series; I highly recommend it, especially if you're a fan of strong, well-developed heroines.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
If yoose guys come up with an anime that sounds interesting to me I'll watch and post. Been having trouble getting motivated with anime lately, pretty much just watching Ace of Diamond as it comes out and GTO is getting a revisit.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Besides, I'm already in the middle of trying to re-marathon The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye before my next review items come up. (Great series; I highly recommend it, especially if you're a fan of strong, well-developed heroines.)
The narrator really irritates me for some reason, which sucks because it's a great show otherwise.

I'd love to take a crack at this. It does depend a bit on what ends up in the pool, but given the crowd involved I assume there will be a diverse enough list to catch my interest.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
For those interested, could you guys post a list on here of the anime you'd like to see and/or have DVDs available of? I can remove the requirement about there being a legal stream available of each show (which would have been easier to do if this was a large group). Since it's not a super large group, we can vote on shows that most everyone here would have access to in one form or another. Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I can watch anything in My Anime Collection or My Anime Backlog.
That is a total of 645 entries right now, so I will try to compose a list of 10 to 20 that I can post here.

Am I correct in thinking that there will be a list of shows to be watched sequentially? So it is not a problem if a show has only a few episodes?
I am wondering because I have been planning to watch I's and I's Pure, which have a total of 8 episodes. Would something short like that be acceptable?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
If a moderator says its okay to make a list in this particular instance then I don't mind making one. But it's going to be a very, very long list though. This is a sizeable chunk - but not all - of my current backlog:

Aishiteruze Baby
Aquarian Age
Blassreiter
Bokura ga Ita
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Destiny of the Shrine Maiden
Ghost Hunt
Gilgamesh
Hatsukoi Limited
Hell Girl
Hidamari Sketch
Kare Kano
Kemonozume
Key the Metal Idol
Kurokami
Living for the Day After Tomorrow
Lovely Complex
Mnemosyne
Moonlight Mile
Noir
Now and Then, Here and There
Paradise Kiss
Read Or Die TV
Revolutionary Girl Utena
School Days
Shigofumi
Shigurui: Death Frenzy
Shounen Onmyouji
Sola
Solty Rei
Someday's Dreamers
Tears to Tiara
The Third
The Wallflower
Twin Spica
Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Welcome to the NHK

Apologies for them not being in alphabetical order.

Surely there's something in there that people could watch.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
...Apologies for them not being in alphabetical order...

Fixed for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9