• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Replaces Deadman Wonderland Rerun With Attack on Titan Rerun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Trying to argue with penguintruth on various things isn't easy.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sadly, I think I remember someone from Toonami. Mentioning that action shows are the only thing people watch.

Shin-chan would have been perfect to bridge action going into comedy line-up. Wish that comedy anime like Shin-chan showed up for Adult Swim comedy side instead of the action one because it would have fit better with the comedies surrounding it.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
deadman wonderland was terrible shite anyway,with its source material,not being any better. Though i don't think AOT warranted another rerun so soon. its a good show and all but...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there going to start from where they left off or the begining again
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Trying to argue with penguintruth on various things isn't easy.

Of course, just like me Cool. I agree with him though.

SquidmembeRistu wrote:
I really don't know what to say to you other than 'no'.

Because you can't come up with a reason why it isn't as shallow and less fun as Deadman Wonderland. Even with its dub.

Quote:
You're basically saying that a show with ton of gore can't have a mature storyline but that's just so wrong on so many levels.

A. He did'nt say any of that even if you try and paraphrase.

1. AOT has bait and switch storytelling with slow pacing.

2. Its not breaking the boundary of Shonnen gore when its pretending to be a Seinen.

3. Drama that doesn't develop the characters, only advance the plot and reiterate things again and again. At least Parasyte changes the dialouge up.

4. World building that tries to squish out as much juice as they can on a city inside the walls when there is still more interset outside them.

5. Main cast of characters being 2 dimensional or below besides Armin. And having your 3 dimensional characters like Jean, Hange and Erwin as secondary. Its basically the power fantasy formula to SAO and every action movie to have your main hero and heroine be bland as possible for the viewers to put them in their skin. Yes, Mikasa is a tool and a kudere pandering massocist otaku wet dream while Annie is a card-board cut ouy with blood shot high eyes. None are, "Strong independant women." Ange is a better female protagonist.

6. I disagree with Penguin on this, but it tries to bait that the show is trying to be more than a Carnage shonnen. Just with Annie having flashbacks foreshadows that, yet whats to feel sorry about? Nothing.

I read Gigantomakhia and found more interest in its aspects, story, characters and action than AOT. Which are basically similar materials besides 1 or 2 things which AOT lacks, small but stong characters and fast yet consistent pace that does'nt bait anything.

Better yet, just go watch/read Berserk for its maturity while having gore. I just watch AOT with a bunch of friends and enjoy the action and nothing else. Its popcorn entertainment and I'll watch it as such.

B. Deadman Wonderland on the other hand.

1. Reminds viewers of Batman Arkuyam City. Already something reletable.

2. Has gore galore.

3. Insane characters that fit gore galore

4. Fun yet respectable dub

Yeah, AOT had little to no fun with it. Respect is tossed in the dirt with them changing the script to make vastly different characters into relatable idiots or have intolerable script reads that make the writers sound like spoiled kids who want an ADR oscar.

When I heard the titans fight in the sub, their pitch and sound brought amazement and fear. Dub? Cockfighting! Just the sound of terrible edited audio to make them sound high pitch as possible to sound like screeching hens/roosters in a pit when they should be the biggest brutes as possible.

You know, a 90's dub had this same task to try and perfect. And suceeded. Does the community know what that was? Neon Genesis Evangelion. When the robots went berserk, they were amazing to hear but terrifying at the same time. Same with the Rebuild movies despite them sounding more high pitch and bird like, but very good try. Keep on shininng Matt!

Deadman has the best and funniest out of Greg Ayres while all of Funimations female actresses who sound like there trying not to be on, "Their time of the Month." Here they all embrace that they are on them. Jessica Boone will be proud. Plus the script is as insane as Panty and Stocking.

sim0n2170 wrote:
Haters gonna hate

And spoonfed viewers will continue to be spoonfed.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
A. He did'nt say any of that even if you try and paraphrase.

1. AOT has bait and switch storytelling with slow pacing.

2. Its not breaking the boundary of Shonnen gore when its pretending to be a Seinen.

3. Drama that doesn't develop the characters, only advance the plot and reiterate things again and again. At least Parasyte changes the dialouge up.

4. World building that tries to squish out as much juice as they can on a city inside the walls when there is still more interset outside them.

5. Main cast of characters being 2 dimensional or below besides Armin. And having your 3 dimensional characters like Jean, Hange and Erwin as secondary. Its basically the power fantasy formula to SAO and every action movie to have your main hero and heroine be bland as possible for the viewers to put them in their skin. Yes, Mikasa is a tool and a kudere pandering massocist otaku wet dream while Annie is a card-board cut ouy with blood shot high eyes. None are, "Strong independant women." Ange is a better female protagonist.

6. I disagree with Penguin on this, but it tries to bait that the show is trying to be more than a Carnage shonnen. Just with Annie having flashbacks foreshadows that, yet whats to feel sorry about? Nothing.

I read Gigantomakhia and found more interest in its aspects, story, characters and action than AOT. Which are basically similar materials besides 1 or 2 things which AOT lacks, small but stong characters and fast yet consistent pace that does'nt bait anything.

Better yet, just go watch/read Berserk for its maturity while having gore. I just watch AOT with a bunch of friends and enjoy the action and nothing else. Its popcorn entertainment and I'll watch it as such.

B. Deadman Wonderland on the other hand.

1. Reminds viewers of Batman Arkuyam City. Already something reletable.

2. Has gore galore.

3. Insane characters that fit gore galore

4. Fun yet respectable dub

Yeah, AOT had little to no fun with it. Respect is tossed in the dirt with them changing the script to make vastly different characters into relatable idiots or have intolerable script reads that make the writers sound like spoiled kids who want an ADR oscar.

When I heard the titans fight in the sub, their pitch and sound brought amazement and fear. Dub? Cockfighting! Just the sound of terrible edited audio to make them sound high pitch as possible to sound like screeching hens/roosters in a pit when they should be the biggest brutes as possible.

You know, a 90's dub had this same task to try and perfect. And suceeded. Does the community know what that was? Neon Genesis Evangelion. When the robots went berserk, they were amazing to hear but terrifying at the same time. Same with the Rebuild movies despite them sounding more high pitch and bird like, but very good try. Keep on shininng Matt!

Deadman has the best and funniest out of Greg Ayres while all of Funimations female actresses who sound like there trying not to be on, "Their time of the Month." Here they all embrace that they are on them. Jessica Boone will be proud. Plus the script is as insane as Panty and Stocking.

Why not go write a review, there is not need for a 548 word essay on why you don't like it on a forum. Most people are not going to read all of it anyway.
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Guess the people at Toonami think that people just CAN'T get enough of AoT.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
TnKtRk wrote:
If they're going to use the 3am slot for reruns, they should use it to air shows that haven't been on for some time like Deadman: Cashern Sins, Samurai 7, or Shin-chan.

Or use the slot for comedies to help ease into AS early morning comedies: Sgt. Frog, P&S...

Unconventional is the key.

I'd love if they got the rights for Shin Chan back, and aired it again. It was very funny, and I even got the DVD's when they came out. Since I enjoyed the English dub so much.
You are right, the block could use a comedy show instead of so much action. Sadly, I think I remember someone from Toonami. Mentioning that action shows are the only thing people watch.

Jason DeMarco has said repeatedly that Toonami is an action block first and foremost, not a strictly anime block, which is why action American cartoons have also appeared. Shin Chan and Sgt. Frog (as much as I love the latter) would be no more fitting than Spongebob.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Attack on Titan. It was the one of the best show to be produced in a real long time.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
I wonder if there going to start from where they left off or the begining again

On twitter, DeMarco said from the beginning.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
All that AoT hate. Rolling Eyes

That's why AoT's getting a second seasond and Deadman...hmm, let's see...still waiting...

The
Audience
Has
Spoken.

Laughing
VPedge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
All that AoT hate. Rolling Eyes

That's why AoT's getting a second seasond and Deadman...hmm, let's see...still waiting...

The
Audience
Has
Spoken.

Laughing

Hahahahahah that's a cute joke. Laughing
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Cable TV is for peasants -- you will be forever stuck with re-runs Laughing
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh great, 1 more year of this crap till the 2nd season, give or take. I like AoT and all but this is just too much, shoving it in our faces, and the same story arc nonetheless.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Oh great, 1 more year of this crap till the 2nd season, give or take. I like AoT and all but this is just too much, shoving it in our faces, and the same story arc nonetheless.
I'm confident that you don't have the watch Attack on Titan just because Toonami is airing it.

I also love the extensive debates about which show is better. HINT: It's like...your opinion man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4