• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most/The Best Animes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manganime00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
This is a thread where you post which anime you think deserves what.
Like I think Onegai Sensei should be Most Romantic.
Or Ouran High School Host Club should be Most Sexy for Girls to Watch.
Or even Best Political Anime to The Twelve Kindoms/Juuni Kokki.

Just put what you think, and specify why.

In Onegai Sensei, Kei did the impossible for Mizuho.

In Ouran High School Host Club, there's Tamaki-Sempai. . .Need I say more lol. (For others there is also Honey-kun and his protector, Kyou-kun, and Hikaru and Kaoru.)

Edit:In The Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokki shows in explicit details how fantasy and political ideas can be interspersed and interesting. It shows how Youko became a brave leader learning that not all laws are right. She also learns the fine line between good and evil. . .

So you see, just post what you think.

Last edited by Manganime00 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe you should emphasize more on your explanations and examples but I'll give it a shot.

Death Note - Most Epic. Why? I never seen an anime that gave a note book such tremendous power that made those who hold it go insane. It's cliffhangers make you very eager to see what happens next, more than that of regular anime titles. It's where there are multiple possibilities that could happen next. The BGM brings up the intense atmosphere in which you know that something if not nothing is going to happen. It make you loose count on how many times one of the important characters said Sakujo. It's where deaths can be caused by a notebook in which the name written inside the note will cause the person to die.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
I don't know exactly where this would be going, but it may fit in here.
Manganime00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
I don't see how I could have divulged further but ah well.
Oh! Please remember to put spoiler tags over spoilers if you have them.
fighterholic wrote:
I don't know exactly where this would be going, but it may fit in here.
Been there done that.
This is different.
[Do not double-post. Use the edit button. ~Zalis]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
I'll leave this thread open for now, but detailed explanations are necessary, more along the lines of LuckySleven's post than the thread-opener. For instance, 12K may have beasts and magic and another world, but why does that make it the best fantasy series? After all, the same could be said about many fantasy series, such as Final Fantasy Unlimited, and most would agree that it's nowhere near the best of its type. And yes, judicious use of spoilers is a good idea when talking about things like this.
Manganime00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
There. . . I fixed it.
slapped_penguin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Most inspiring - Kaleido Star - Everyone's determination to get better and better together with the amazing performances just makes me want to go do something.
Manganime00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
See people get it.

Most Sweet-Lamune- The innoncence of Nanami and the cute little flash backs just wowed me. I love how their childhood reflected back onto the present.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
THE KAWAII ANIMES WITH THE MEGA EXPLOSIONS IT IS TRUE JAPANESE SPIRIT

By the which way, it never ever was Onegai Sensei- Onegai Teacher or Please Teacher, sure, but never sensei
Manganime00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
THE KAWAII ANIMES WITH THE MEGA EXPLOSIONS IT IS TRUE JAPANESE SPIRIT

By the which way, it never ever was Onegai Sensei- Onegai Teacher or Please Teacher, sure, but never sensei

Is SO. Sensei means teacher. Onegai Sensei is how it was originally made. You know. . .IN JAPANESE.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hmmmn... Okay, I suppose I will bite.

I nominate Hellsing and/or Hellsing Ultimate for best vampire anime.
Probably because it is the only vampire anime I know of that isnt about "good vampires" and how vampires are all just misunderstood and we need to work together to let humans and vampires live in peice mumbo jumbo. Its interesting enough, but it gets boring and cliche after a long while. Hellsing vampires are unabashedly evil. Even(especially) the lead character.
...Add that to the serious amounts of gore and blood and downright badassness that ought to accompanie a vampire show, and this one is gold.

Aaand I must disagree with you on one of your choices.

Quote:
Or Ouran High School Host Club should be Most Sexy for Girls to Watch.

No no no. Anime cry Ouran High is a parody. It is not meant to be taken seriously. Tamaki is so ridiculessly silly for a reason. To poke fun at bishie characters. Ouran High is not meant to be "sexy" it is meant to poke fun at "sexy".
Instead, I invite you to turn your attention to Saiunkoku Monogatari for our Most Sexy for Girls to Watch.
The thing is dripping with drama and sexy boys and takes itself way seriouser then it probably should. It is all about getting the girls to swoon, and the bishie boys around every corner will make you melt way more then Tamaki ever did.
This one is probably the best Reverse Harem I have ever seen. There arent a lot of them around, and this one balances drama, bishie fanservice, and a solid (if sometimes sidestepped) plot the nicest.

EDIT:
Also,
Manganime00 wrote:

Is SO. Sensei means teacher. Onegai Sensei is how it was originally made. You know. . .IN JAPANESE.

Actually, I am pretty sure that the original Japanese title for that was indeed Onegai Teacher. (They love using foreign words, dontcha know Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manganime00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
Grrrr.
I'll argue that another time. It's late here in Canada. . .
I'll try the one you suggested.
ANd I know they poke fun at sexy guys but I love those ridiculously silly guys.
They're (or rather Tamaki) so sweet and kind. (Kyou does not count. . .lol)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Manganime00 wrote:

Actually, I am pretty sure that the original Japanese title for that was indeed Onegai Teacher. (They love using foreign words, dontcha know Wink)

Yup, Eruanna is right. The original Japanese title is おねがい☆ティーチャー (Onegai☆Teacher).

And while we're on the topic of things that Eruanna is right about... yes, Ouran is a parody, and Saiunkoku Monogatari is the best recent bishounen anime, with enough charm and plot to satisfy even those of us without a particular penchant for bishies. And yes, it does take itself way too seriously, but that's okay. It works.

- abunai

Last edited by abunai on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
Manganime00 wrote:

If you have a look at any of the original Japanese material for Please Teacher, be it the books, DVDs, manga, or anything else, you'll notice that the teacher portion is actually written in katakana, which if you didn't know is their character system for writing foreign words. The Onegai/Please bit is in Hirigana/Kanji, can't really remember.

Point is, it was never 'sensei' even though it was Japanese. Just because it's Japanese doesn't mean it's nessecerally written in Japanese- Hellsing, Darker than Black, and a whole slew of others prove this.

e; f, b.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Before people start getting tiss wissy with each other I'll settle the debate. Here.

As you can see Onegai Teacher was the actual original for the show. Onegai Sensei is an alternative title, but not the actual main title. Since teacher does mean sensei it makes sense that it would be an alternative title. So, in a way everyone is right. That settles that.
edit--Steve and abunai already jumped in so nevermind the non tiss wissy part lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3