• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga series that you dropped?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor who

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked how many dropped Death Note and D.Gray-man.

Blame-Really neat art, but by the end of the first volume not an ounce of story had really developed. I still have the second one just laying around, i should read it.

Lone wolf and cub-Not a bad book by any means, but it just never clicked with me for some reason. I did find it obnoxiously small though, I'll just stick with Vagabond I guess.
astroasis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised so many dropped Death Note at volume 7. I read the whole thing, but I wish it had ended at Volume 7. I kept waiting for it to recapture that same intensity, but it just... didn't.

I dropped Girls Bravo. The premise seemed amusing, so I picked it up... and was sorely disappointed. Yikes. I mean, it wasn't the worst thing I ever read (read below), but it wasn't good enough to keep buying.

I also dropped Dragon Head. "OMG WHAT HAPPENED?!" gets really old after a few volumes. They just kept on piling on more drama and more mysteries without ever giving any indication of the characters coming ANY closer to solving any of them in the first place. The dark art style and atmosphere just added to the stagnant hopeless feeling. Maybe that's what the mangaka was going for, but I prefer a bit more optimism in my manga.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
Absolute Boyfriend
It looked like alteration of Chobits. In Chobits we have robo - girl in Zettai Kareshi we have robo - boy. Riiko as well as Hideki have a problem in searching boyfriend/girlfriend, ugh.
And of course, the main character is foolish and annoying like in all Watase works. After this I have enough Watase and I determined not to read anything she has done.

Inuyasha I lost interest.

Last edited by Aylinn on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Inuyasha I lost interest.

Same here. Unlike One Piece, it feels like it's drawn out and on top of that, trying to spread too much butter over a piece of bread. And with 40 plus volumes out, they haven't made too much progress in getting towards Naraku, or at least the last time I read the manga.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I rarely drop series once I start them, but I stopped Ranma 1/2 at volume 14 many, many years ago. There's only so much re-hashed plot I can take, & Rumiko Takahashi is the greatest manga-ka when it comes to churning out the same nonsense ad nauseum.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble
I liked it, but my sister didn't and the series didn't seem like it was going anywhere. I didn't think it was collecting, especially since the plot is pretty thin for a series that has 15+ volumes.

Ranma 1/2
I didn't drop it exactly, but when I noticed my library had the series, I stopped collecting.

Someday's Dreamers
So...boring. The art was nice, but the story was just ugh. It made me want to fall asleep. It's a shame, because it seemed like such a sweet story. They could've just spiced it up a bit.

Kitchen Princess
It was so formulaic and predictible. The characters are all cliches, heck, the whole story was one big cliche. It's too bad, I wanted to try out some of the recipes.

Pita-Ten
It wasn't too boring, but it just annoyed me. Kotarou especially, I couldn't stand him. His personality irritated me, I didn't understand why he was always so upset or angry.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
2 separate categories

thinking of dropping

Bleach
17 volumes in and they still haven't rescued Rukia. I've actually been thinking of dropping it since this arc began but didn't for unknown reasons. I loved the series when they were fighting the hollows but once they got to the soul society and there where no hollows...or Kon, it just turned into neverending mediocre shonen.
[

That's disappointing. I was really enjoying reading it (I own the first 2, but I've read through....5-7 or so). She gets captures pretty early on (within the first 5-10 books), so to know they still haven't rescued her by 17 volumes...that's pretty ridiculous.

Also sad to hear about Death Note. Does the anime take the same unfornate turn? I didn't read about WHAT the turn was, as I'm not very far into the series.

I'll be honest and say that most of the titles I drop are because I can't afford to read them. I picked what I was really interested in, and really wanted to read, and stopped the others. That doesn't mean I won't pick them up again later on.

There are a couple that I did drop, permanently. Everything else I intend on reading more of some day when I can afford to do so.

I dropped Negima. I loved Love Hina, and that may be why I don't love Negima. Negima is incredibly similar. The characters are almost exactly the same (as far as the girls go). It's Love Hina with magic. It just wasn't as good, and I couldn't get into it.

Chobits. Not because I didn't like it. I really enjoy the story, but it's pretty similar to the anime, which I've seen. So I didn't see the need to continue reading the manga.

Someday's Dreamers For some of the same reasons as someone else mentioned. Very good art, but it didn't really pull me in enough to get me to continue reading it. If I had the opportunity (like if I knew someone I could borrow it from) I might read the rest. But I won't be spending my money on it.

Lone Wolf and Cub. I like it well enough, but it's so incredibly long. And I'd rather be reading things that are a little less depressing.

I used to work in a comic store, so I'm trying to remember what I read there, that I absolutely did not like. But I did tend to gravitate toward things I figured that I would like. I did find something called My Cat Loki that I didn't even get all the way through, because I thought it was awful.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Yami no Matsuei - aka Descendants of Darkness. I'll be killed by fangirls for this, but Dear God, I was bored to tears. I don't know what happened in the series because it jumped around, made no logical sense and I didn't give a crap about the characters. I couldn't even finish the first volume. Apparently, this was due to poor translations, but I really didn't care after that.

Eden - I'll be killed for this one, too. I was so sure I would love this series. The art was awesome, the whole series seemed like such a great idea and really good. I was stoked when it finally came out, and then when I started reading it, I just couldn't follow for some reason, I got bored. And then once I found out the series was like forever long, I decided not even to try and read it again.

Ragnarok - Actually a manhwa, but nonetheless...picked it up because I love Norse mythology, and the artwork was really cool. But just couldn't get into it. Also, since they decided not to translate the whole series, I didn't mind anyway.

Love Hina - I'm liking what I've read of Negima, and I want to read Love Hina because it won the Kodansha Manga Award. But I read volume 1 and only thought it was Ok. If anyone can convince me otherwise, though, I'll go buy it.

Kare Kano - I read through 5 volumes and liked it up till volume 5. The art was only ok, but I didn't really mind that. But for some reason, I didn't like that the story seemed to be branching off of the main story and bringing unnecessary characters into it. I heard it gets better, but I didn't feel like it was worth a 21 volume investment.
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Yami no Matsuei - aka Descendants of Darkness. I'll be killed for this, but Dear God, I was bored to tears.

I'll die with you then Wink I read two volumes and I don't think I'll be reading more... kinda cute and charming, but didn't really touch me in any way. Other series I'd rather collect.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Flame of Recca The story didn't capture me like an action title normally does. The fights weren't interesting or exciting enough. I was done by Volume 4.

STONe I didn't actually drop this one (only 2 volumes) so much as I stopped reading it after the first volume. The art put me off a little, but the main problem was the story. For the first volume of a two-part series the story didn't go too far.

On a related note, I almost dropped Bleach a while ago. The story was sluggish through volume 3 but I already bought volume 4 even though I wasn't feeling the story anymore. I decided to finish out Uryu's story ark then put it away but at the end of Volume 6 they jumped right into the Soul Society arc, and I haven't been able to put it down since.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:

I dropped Negima. I loved Love Hina, and that may be why I don't love Negima. Negima is incredibly similar. The characters are almost exactly the same (as far as the girls go). It's Love Hina with magic. It just wasn't as good, and I couldn't get into it.

Out of curiousity, how much did you read? If you only read the first volume or two, I can see how you might get that impression. But volume 3 is where it turns into a much more action oriented series. It still has the antics from the earlier volumes, but I don't see how that's a problem if you enjoyed Love Hina. Also, it doesn't take too long for the girls to distinguish themselves from the Love Hina girls. You may see a little bit of Naru in this and that character and a bit of Shinobu in that character over there, but they certainly aren't clones of the Love Hina characters. For example, Asuna doesn't come anywhere close to the abusiveness Naru displays and after 13 volumes, there is still just about zero romance between her and Negi (just a little tidbit here and there suggesting a possiblity of something down the road.... though there are a few roadblocks to overcome before that. Their relationship is one of siblings more than anything else.

If you've read up to volume 3 and still have zero interest, then that's fine. But the first two volumes are an introduction that really doesn't represent what it becomes and how mcuh ass kicking would be involved.

------------------------------

As for myself, I'm going to read My HiME volume 2 and then decide whether its worth continuing. I'm not counting on it. I loved the anime (except the last episode, which I like to pretend never happened), but the first volume of the manga was painful to read.

I'm also about read y to drop Mar. I really liked Flame of Recca and the beginning, while mediocre, showed potential. But it went downhill with the dullest "tournament" (if it can even be called that, its just Team Good Guys fighting a series of Bad Teams) ever and while I was hoping it would improve after the 'tournament', it looks like the series ends at volume 15 meaning this "tournament" is the last arc. I'm going to read the whole thing, but I'm not sure I'm going to bother buying the last three volumes. I'll probably read them in the bookstore and, unless there is a significant improvement that convinces me to buy them, I'll just sell the rest of the series.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Ah, you're right. I only read the first 2 or 3 volumes of Negima. I had heard a great review of it from a customer, and was told it had a little bit of a Harry Potter feel, and as I loved Love Hina, I wanted to give it a shot.
The story seemed interesting, but wasn't pulling me in as much. It wasn't bad necessarily, it just felt like a lesser Love Hina. Although I think I'm justified for dropping a book that hasn't pulled me in after 2 volumes (which is what, 12 chapters?), I may look into it again, or at least watch the anime. I wanted to like it, so if I get a chance I'll probably check it out again.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
Er, if you didn't like that portion of the mana, I don't think you would like the anime, which really emphasizes the harem hijinks and removed most of what people loved about the anime (namely the action and a lot of the character development). Anyhow, I can't promise you'll like the manga, but at least give volume 3 a shot and if you kind of like where things are going, volumes 4-6 which contain the field trip arc, will probably pull you in.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
astroasis wrote:
I'm not surprised so many dropped Death Note at volume 7. I read the whole thing, but I wish it had ended at Volume 7. I kept waiting for it to recapture that same intensity, but it just... didn't.

I'm not surprised either. I thought it could have ended at volume 7. I'm still reading it, but I'd agree that the series hasn't been the same since then. I still love the series though. It's my #1 favorite series, so I'd never think of dropping it. Besides I only have two more volumes until I finish, I'm just waiting for them to be released in the US.

I recently dropped Judas. The name and the synopsis piqued my interest enough for me to pick up the first volume, so I did. It wasn't what I expected at all. It was so painful to read, that I didn't even get halfway through the first volume. It has some pretty good art (it reminded me a little of the anime SHUFFLE!), but everything else was so unbearable I stopped trying to force my way through it. By far the worst manga I've ever read.

I also dropped Real Bout High School a while back. I didn't like it compared to the anime (which wasn't so great either, but it was still better), so I stopped after the first volume. The art was great (better than the anime in my opinion), but all the action was hard to read. I had to keep looking over the sequences quite a few times to make sense of it all, and so it wasn't an enjoyable reading experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I recently dropped Judas. The name and the synopsis piqued my interest enough for me to pick up the first volume, so I did. It wasn't what I expected at all. It was so painful to read, that I didn't even get halfway through the first volume. It has some pretty good art (it reminded me a little of the anime SHUFFLE!), but everything else was so unbearable I stopped trying to force my way through it. By far the worst manga I've ever read.

Really? This is on my to buy list after I read the synopsis. It sounded awesome. What was so bad about it? Translation or what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14