• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CosmicRage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
I wrote a longer review on my wordpress site so if you want to read it in full feel free to check it out. http://cosmicragemotioncomic.wordpress.com

Oblivion Island was released in 2009 from Production I.G. You can actually stream the film from Funimation's site and also from Hulu.

Oblivion Island is a full CGI film that really blends the playfulness of a Disney or Studio Ghibli but at points appears to have the environment of a video game. The film really is (in my opinion) a must watch. How this film slipped through the cracks is kinda crazy. I don't recall seeing any promotions for this when it was released in the states. I actually saw it because Amazon rec'd it to me based on other purchases.

The story revolves around a girl (Haruka) who is transported to another world, a world of creatures that borrow items from the human world. They only take things that people neglect, they don't steal. Haruka is looking for the mirror her mother gave her as a child.

The CGI animation in the film is beautiful and the environment settings are very imaginative as well are the character designs. There are very unique ways that regular day items are used for character costumes and also in the environments as well.

If you watch it, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of it as well. Smile [/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1