• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Con Artist

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Titan, I'm giving you one last warning. If you keep turning threads in to your personal rants about how you hate everything about the west, the east, the north, the south, hell, heaven or whatever then you're done. This obsession you have with endlessly and constantly trying to derail every thread in to a discussion of your bias prejudices is getting old and I'm sick of seeing report after report after report regarding your soapboxing. Knock it off, try just discussing the topics rationally for once and leave your extermist slants on the sideline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
All of those top anime and character lists in Japan show that they only really care about the new stuff. Like the top waifu lists typically consist of all girls from the last 2 years and maybe like Haruhi and the Eva girls. Same with top anime.

Its tough to get excited about older anime when its not the hot new thing anymore.

Japan has no need to wear those rose-tinted nostalgia goggles because they get like 100 new anime a year. And despite what American fans always complain about, it wasn't better back then Laughing

It happens with American animation too. People will gush up 80s/90s cartoons like they're the cat's meow, and dismiss current animation or insist nothing can compare to my old Thundercats or Batman cartoons. I guess when you only get 6 cartoons a year, it's not as easy to move on like Japan can. Wink

Look, I won't suggest that you're not totally cool and edgy for slamming people who are don't like exactly what you like, but I tend to prefer older things and I only began to discover them a few years ago. It's possible that not everyone who disagrees with you is a complete tool.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
About the manga to anime adaption on Kids on the slope specifically. Apparentely during the time when spoiler[Karou was studying to be a doctor] in the manga, there was a story arc dedicated specifically to Ritsuko. (Once I find a good source I'll place it here)

The anime doesn't add that character arc so, in my opinion, she doesn't progress as a character but stays the same in the ending. I can't help but think if the show was longer (or had an OVA) then maybe Ritsuko would have been a more dynamic.

Usually when I hear a manga being adapted into a anime/live-action film, I can't help but wonder what kind of changes will be added to the story. So, yeah, like Brian says: the results vary.

Old/new anime: I like both; there are good & bad shows prior to the 2000s and there are good & bad shows after the 2000s; simple as that.
For me, it's not age that prevents me from watching older anime (I'm watching/looking for more older anime like Patalliro). Sometimes, it's the fact that when I do want to watch older shows, it's hard to find them. Or, if I do find them, sometimes the subtitles are bad. :/
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I caught your point about anime fans expressing their love of their favorite shows less with things like purchases or anything that might directly benefit the creators, which had me thinking a little about my recent activity over the last few months.

Since reading Zac's reviews of "Madoka Magica" I watched the series twice on Crunchyroll, which I have a subscription to, and then purchased the Blu-Rays at Anime Expo because I really do agree with him that not only is it one of the best anime to come out this year, but one of the most well written series or movies I've watched. Period. (Reading Robert McKee's "Story" recently also helps, and if you haven't heard of him: see "Adaptation".)

I think in part because of the timing of the series release to "The Dark Knight Rises" in the US, I found myself again and again commenting on movie sites like Roger Ebert's blog, his Far Flung Correspondents, Jim Emerson's blog, AwardsDaily and Mubi to write long comments on their analysis about recent superhero movies, in particular TDKR, and how I thought "Madoka Magica" compliments and expands upon many of the ideas on superheroes in those movies in relation to "Madoka's" take on the magical girl genre. And each long post ended with informing where to watch the series online and links to Zac's reviews.

This, personally is my form of expression of what I enjoy, not fanart, cosplay, buying merchandise, posters whatever because I don't really care about any of that stuff. I want a good story well told. If it moves me enough, and makes me think, like "Madoka" did, and has relevance, I share it with people who I think can appreciate what I see in it. For me, IT'S THE STORY, DAMN IT!
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My anime dollars these days go into merchandise direct from Japan - figures, model kits, other stuff - which will at least keep the REAL market forces of anime going. The animation is nothing compared to merchandising, where the REAL money is made, to quote from Spaceballs. Slavering over the chance to pay top dollar just to be like someone who lines up in Akihabara to own Box Set X or Zero-Day Release Y doesn't support any industry - it prolongs it to the detriment of the consumers and to the benefit of the people who decide to hang on to their torrented anime.

Labeling high priced physical media being detrimental to consumer is an excuse to pitting the value of one merchandise against the other.

I don't agree with this person's point of view because It's all matter of perception. Whether it's video or toys, it's all about the demand. Overproduced merchandises become devalued if the accompanying animation lacks appeal. Just like unsold videos, overproduced toys do wind up in bargain bins when a show fails. Only the collectors will jump for joy. Toys and other merchandises are no more valuable than physical media. It's just a matter of perception and handling limited supply to keep demand stable.

Limited edition exists because demands remained the same to me. Not everyone buys either videos or merchandises. No business is stupid enough to flood the market with cheap toys based from some late night anime. To me, paying Anime fans has not grown dramatically. I've noticed that purchase trend has shifted from physical media to toys & merchandise over period of time, but the end result looks the same. More people are buying toys and merchandises, but has overall revenue increased? Has it improved lives of professional artists who toils to make stylized animation which plays with our emotion? Again, things don't look better even if it's loaded with toys and merchandises.

Due to short life span of typical anime title, there is no major difference between making money through toys & merchandises than producing physical media except prime time Shonen Jump shows. With so many titles competing for our attention, merchandises of some obscure shows don't even have chance to stand out.

Ultimately it boils own to how to maintain steady demand. It's not about consumer can pay or not.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
IMO, the real reason for anime fans distaste for older works is that the internet has bred us to believe that anything older than 2 seconds is ancient.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
IMO, the real reason for anime fans distaste for older works is that the internet has bred us to believe that anything older than 2 seconds is ancient.

There is a difference between 'distaste' and 'not caring'
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Yet most people tend to go "Old, eeeeeeeew", not "Old, not really that interested".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yet most people tend to go "Old, eeeeeeeew", not "Old, not really that interested".

And yet both groups get lumped together.

And there are plenty of people who go "new? It must be shit" as well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Entertainment item." Makes it sound so... sadly insignificant, doesn't it? "Deluxe Limited Edition Boxed Set" sounds a lot more exciting. No wonder Aniplex USA calls it that instead of "Entertainment Item."
Bovine Scatology is still a steaming pile of BS no matter how it's described.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
I will have to disagree in part with that notion of some on this board. Yes newer anime/manga/film/games have access to better technology, but the general sense I seem to be getting from this board is that older shows cant possibly be better. What kind of nonsense is that? If something was made and is truly great, then I dont see how it all of sudden became bad. Star Wars is considered by many one of, if not the greatest Sci Fi films and/or franchises of all time. It well over 30 years old. But you are not going to sit there and tell me Total Recall is better. I just honestly think people are fickle and to easily swayed these days. Ill admit some newer shows have entered my top ten/25/50; but the shows I thought were favorites a when I first watched them are still my favorites now, and no its not because of nostalgia, but quite frankly because there were better at their respective genre or theme then anything that has since come out.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I will have to disagree in part with that notion of some on this board. Yes newer anime/manga/film/games have access to better technology, but the general sense I seem to be getting from this board is that older shows can't possibly be better. What kind of nonsense is that? If something was made and is truly great, then I don't see how it all of sudden became bad. Star Wars is considered by many one of, if not the greatest Sci Fi films and/or franchises of all time. It well over 30 years old. But you are not going to sit there and tell me Total Recall is better. I just honestly think people are fickle and to easily swayed these days. Ill admit some newer shows have entered my top ten/25/50; but the shows I thought were favorites a when I first watched them are still my favorites now, and no its not because of nostalgia, but quite frankly because there were better at their respective genre or theme then anything that has since come out.

I'm a videophile, so the actual video quality and production values are one of the most important things to me. If the exact same show is made in the 80s and now, I will always take the new version since its HD and digitally drawn/colored. So thats a handicap that older shows have to begin with for me. Thats not to say they can't be better than newer shows, but they have to do something really special to be able to make me look past the dated visuals.

Plus of course theres the difference in prominent genres. As someone who isn't into the majority of mecha and doesn't like those robot shows at all, theres really not much from the 80s that interests me.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
What you call old today was new back then, so to discriminate against a great title because the designs are now dated is to needlessly cut yourself off from some very good series and movies.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What you call old today was new back then, so to discriminate against a great title because the designs are now dated is to needlessly cut yourself off from some very good series and movies.

Yeah, many of the AFI or BFI top lists include classics, for example, and I'm sure the Japanese Film Institute too. Many Alfred Hitchcock films hold up to this day. And it's not like newer productions are always better - I don't think anybody expects, even if it's good, the new Oldboy film to be better than the South Korean film. Or vice versa, older ones aren't always good due to nostalgia, like Yugioh Season 1. So it goes both ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2