• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Future of Anime: 2D or Not 2D - That Is The Question!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
Every so often, I find myself taking advantage of Google Japan to see what those crazy kids are up to, and it's not surprising to see the growth of 3D anime characters is on the rise.

The competitions featuring Miku Hatsune show a growing passion for 3D animation. At first, I disliked the 3D concept, but as technology and software improves, I have to admit some of the entries in last year's contest were damn enjoyable.

So the question I pose: should anime stay 2D forever or will a new generation of anime fans be watching their series in 3D? Will you be defiant of change or open to the new direction?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about the 3D glasses-required crap, but the computer animation 3D, just so there's no confusion.

So long as the quality is good, I'm all for 3D. If video games are any indication, things are about to get real.
Noity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
2D is best for me. I mean, I just can't imagine anime being 3D. Would be kinda odd... Do you have any links where I could see how it looks?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
I've never really cared much for computer animation - sure, it has its place, but I've always preferred the look of 2D.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Noity wrote:
Do you have any links where I could see how it looks?

Not here at work. If I remember, I'll post a few when I get home tonight.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Well, at the risk of sounding like the old fart I am, I hope 2D doesn't disappear. I have nothing against 3D CGI stuff, I just wouldn't want it to become the only game in town. I've been on a bit of Studio Ghibli bender recently because a nearby theatre is showing a retrospective of its main titles (plus, I saw The Secret World of Arrietty recently). Man, I really do love that old-fashioned, 2D cel-animation look, big time.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
What does that third D get you? In video games, I see the point, but in story-telling?

If the CG3D stuff I've seen is any indication, then the closer to "real" the image gets, the more disturbingly distracting the unrealities are. No one blinks if a cartoon character walks weirdly, but when something meant to look human has that not-quite-right gait, things feel unnatural.

Plus, there's a great deal of communication in anime that is reliant on the 2D medium. The giant eyes, the freakish hair, it's all there for a reason. I can't help but feel that going 3D is the choice of someone who doesn't quite get why anyone bothered to communicate using animation in the first place. Why not just go live-action?

The Miku Hatsune idea is cool as a technical concept, and a neat new concept in interactive communication. But if there's no interactivity (like in anime), I have a hard time seeing the point of proliferation.
Geoffrey88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I hope 2D doesn't disappear. I have nothing against 3D CGI stuff, I just wouldn't want it to become the only game in town.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
What does that third D get you?

Cheaper costs?

Anyway, it is not for me. I won't be watching if it becomes mainstream. I'll just stick with my old things and curse at the new kids who go all fanboy over it.

I mean, it is such a waste. Losing cel-animation just when it was hitting its peak and getting junk digital animation instead, which took years to develop into an acceptable level was hit enough. It'll be that all over again. Just when things start to look good, it gets replaced by some tech that people don't know how to work with.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Japan does not know how to do 3D at all! Look at Pixar movies. An old movie like Monsters Inc. Look so much better then Japan can even produce today. I love Berserk but look at the 3D effects just looks so soft and just not finished. I like a good 3D animated film that is if its done right and not just thrown together, it will show all of its flaws and will just look poor. It's kind of like those cheap made for TV sci-fi movie effects. They are poor and cheap looking and with todays standards it's very obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Japan does not know how to do 3D at all! Look at Pixar movies. An old movie like Monsters Inc. Look so much better then Japan can even produce today.

The humans in Pixar and Dreamworks movies all look so fake, cartoony, and.. weird.

I definitely prefer the CG in Advent Children, which I think still has the best human designs (if we ignore games like, well, Final Fantasy XIII + XIII-2)

But in general, I hope CG never takes over in Japan.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The humans in Pixar and Dreamworks movies all look so fake, cartoony, and.. weird.

I definitely prefer the CG in Advent Children, which I think still has the best human designs
Exactly. 3D characters are difficult, and since interesting and appealing character designs and animation are a bit part of the appeal of anime, I think going totally 3D all out is a long way from being possible.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
There hasn't been a single popular CG Japanese animated show. Though it does hurt that many of them look like upscaled PS2 games *cough*Duel Masters Victory*cough*
chefneer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
3D is interesting, but I too prefer 2D animation. The 3D stuff too often just looks wierd. I know it's becoming popular, these days, but it seems that it's often done solely because it can be done, with questionable results. Utilizing new technology simply because you can doesn't always make the end result better.

When true 3D holographic technology is perfected to the point where it can be marketed as a household video medium, maybe I'll reconsider. In the meantime 3D animation is more of a novelty for me, and I have no interest whatsoever in anything that requires me to wear those chintzy glasses.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
If 3D looks good and the story's good, why not?

People have mentioned how 3D characters can look weird. There's a term for it: the uncanny valley.

Also, pretty much all anime these days is CG, even if it's 2D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It really depends on the Studio, ( I don't know the names of that many studios in Japan so I'm just gonna name American ones) like for instance, if the company became famouse for having high quality CGI films like Pixar and Dreamworks ( I know that Dreamworks used to do 2D animation but it was Shrek that made it a house hold name.) and the company that made Despicable Me then it's fine but if it's a company that has had several Decades of History with 2-D arts or even just a couple of decades of history with 2-D art such as Disney and Ghibli then they need to stick to what they're good at and what they're known for.

Bottom line is that I think 3D is ok as if it's something like Shrek and or a Pixar movie, but if it's anime then I don't want to see it (with the exception of Appleseed) in 3-D ( unless they re-release a studio Ghibli movie to theatres and add in 3-D effects like Disney did then I might be interested). Bottom line is anime has been famouse as 2-D animation for decades and It's more that likely gonna stay that way. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5