• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime fans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys, how's it going? Anyway, I need to write a classification essay for my senior comp. class and I thought maybe it would be interesting to do it on different types of anime fans. I basically need 4-5 types and examples about each one. The only categories I can think of are dub fans, sub fans, and the otaku. I would appreciate it if you guys can help me come up with some more categories, examples of what they do, and witty names for them as well. Or if you have a better idea of what to do just tell me.

*The rough draft is due on Thursday.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
How about adding a "non-fan" of anime, to get a perspective on why anime may not seem as popular and such. Although, make sure you sort of know the person so the observations and questioning will be smoother, as opposed to just asking some stranger who might say something like "you're a loser for liking anime" Wink.

Good luck.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I wrote a similar paper in high school but mine was about theatre. Smile

Since its your paper, I won't get too specific;but a couple of names/labels I hear often, that may give you some ideas are: fanboy/fangirl, old school/ new school fans, mecha/giant robot fans etc...I tend to distinguish some fans as being "hardcore"; meaning those that do lots of research on titles; learn japanese to gain greater access to more anime/manga; and know about it whenever someone at Gonzo sneezes...
You could also take the people who are cosplayers, or gamers, or role players, etc. and try to work something around that...

I don't think I'm helping...a lot depends on whether or not you want your paper to be a bit funny or more on the serious side.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wanted it to be funny but no one thinks I am so, whatever. But, thanks for the ideas. I think old school fans would be a good category. Like the guys who watched Speed Racer thinking it was American Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
For subtypes of otakuness, check the May 2000 issue of ANIMEfringe: What kind of otaku are you? Rate your otakuness!

Oh, don't forget about telling us which one you are after taking the survey. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote
How bout adding yaoi fan girls? Many of them dont really get into "anime" in general and simply look for "hot" homoerotic artwork. Old school fans are really good and maybe people who "consider themselves die hard anime fans even though they only seen half the episodes of DragonBall and Yu gi Oh..."
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
For subtypes of otakuness, check the May 2000 issue of ANIMEfringe: What kind of otaku are you? Rate your otakuness!

Oh, don't forget about telling us which one you are after taking the survey. Wink

No surprises here:

4xA, 3xB, 3xC, 7xD, 2xE, 7xF

Looks like I'm a "Self-Saturating Turning-Japanese Conversionist Otaku" crossed with a "Jack-Of-All-Trades Otaku" (with a slight influence of "Shoujo Otaku").

I don't find the quiz that useful, though. It's fun, but it's obviously too tongue-in-cheek to be anything but absurd. Think how much more fun it could be if it were done well enough to be really, really, diabolically accurate.... Twisted Evil

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
A:4 B:2 C:5 D:1 E:6 F:3

Mostly Hentai and Videogame Otaku.... sounds about right.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
alright I'll bite:

A:1
B:4
C:1
D:3
E:1
F:10

so everything, but I guess mostly Shonen (seeing as B was second most). not much suprise there
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd quallify as a Jack-Of-All-Trades Otaku, myself, although I don't like labels, and wouldn't refer to myself as such.

As far as the test goes:

A-3
B-5
C-2
D-2
E-0
F-8

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
1-A
A-B
3-C
7-D
1-E
7-F

I say D and F describe me farily
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
A: 2
B: 6
C: 0
D: 3
E: 0
F: 10

It seems that I'm a Shounen Jack-Of-All-Trades who doesn't play bishoujo H-games.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
A: 2
B: 6
C: 2
D: 1
E: 0
F: 9

A Shounen Otaku, I can understand since Kenshin is my fave and Naruto is increasingly becoming one of my other top faves, but Jack-Of-All-Trades Otaku? I'm no Master Keaton Anime smallmouth. But I guess I am, sort of. There's a Master Keaton in all of us, people Anime exclamation.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
A:1
B:1
C:2
D:1
E:0
F:6

Jack-Of-All-Trades Otaku and Video Game Otaku sounds right, but if I had to call myself an otaku of anything I would say I am a Gundam Otaku Cool .

*post 100, 11 more to an avatar change* YAY Very Happy
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Yeah, not completely unexpected either:

4xA, 3xB, 4xC, 2xD, 6xE, 15XF - meaning I'm a Jack of all Trades otaku who is slightly perverted. Embarassed

As Abunai already stated though, it is an absurd quiz, although it's fairly amusing. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2