• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi to air on G4!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
G4: TV for Gamers is going to air MSAA starting on Febuary 7 on Anime Unleashed. information can be found on both G4 and ADV's websites.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I love how, ever since G4 took over TechTV, all the new anime they get seem to be the shows everyone else loves yet I tend to really dislike because of how glaringly flawed their execution was (ROD:TV being an exception). First Gungrave, now Abenobashi...I predict they'll be running Love Hina by summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well I sent an e-mail to Bamboo so she knows.
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Let's play good vs. evil:

Good:

- New anime on television
- An anime series from ADV, which might coax them to offer more shows to broadcast television (CN as well as G4TechTV) other than "Milk-Chan"
- The first full series for AU since whatever aired before "Last Exile".

Evil:

- Does this show have anything to do with sci-fi (haven't seen the show)?
- Can we expect more aspect ratio compression?
- Addendum: Can we expect more hacking of anime theme songs into something unlistenable?
- How will AU's editing standards measure up to this show, which I hear is very risque?

Conclusion:

AU has a chance to make a very big mark with this show - if they don't mess it up, I might actually regain faith in AU again...might.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
- An anime series from ADV, which might coax them to offer more shows to broadcast television (CN as well as G4TechTV) other than "Milk-Chan"

Shame Milk-chan's actually better than Abenobashi.

arxane wrote:
- Does this show have anything to do with sci-fi (haven't seen the show)?

It has a couple sci-fi parodies, but overall the plot (or what little they actually got to between recycling the same damn MuneMune breast joke...) seemed to do more with onmyouji.

arxane wrote:
- Can we expect more aspect ratio compression?
- Addendum: Can we expect more hacking of anime theme songs into something unlistenable?

Both seem to be standards for G4 (especially music mangling, which they've done for every single acquisition they've made since taking over), so I wouldn't expect any sort of pleasant surprises or competent behaviour here, either.

arxane wrote:
- How will AU's editing standards measure up to this show, which I hear is very risque?

Kids' panties...dirty kids' panties...yeah, way to ruin an otherwise decent sci-fi parody, Gainax.

Last edited by Nagisa on Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
Hod Damn woman you don't like this G4 at all. I don't care for them eather, mostly because of what they did to TTV, but atleast they have two programs worth watching. (Anime Unleashed and Cienmatech)
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
arxane wrote:

Shame Milk-chan's actually better than Abenobashi.

you're kidding me right? Magical Shopping district is hillarious. i highly doubt they're gonna get this on G4 without an extreme amount of editing. hopefully they'll actually show whole thing, unlike their last few animes.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
Eh I don't like G4 either there's only 2 or 3 shows worth watching the other are pure crap I'm talking about the G4 own shows not the anime on AnimeUnleashed. The thing that bothers me is that they have too many cormercials and some adverstisements of their own that show up on the shows is airing very annoying as hell. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Does this show have anything to do with sci-fi (haven't seen the show)?

Well with TechTV they did need anime that had Sci-fi/technology elements for it to be shown on their channel but since now it's G4/TechTV they do have more "freedom" to get any anime that they want since "most" gamers are into anime too.

Oh there's other thing to complain about is that G4/Tech TV edits anime too to cut out time this really annoyed me with Last Exile especially the last episode where they cut out the real ending. Mad [/quote]
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
arxane wrote:

Kids' panties...dirty kids' panties...yeah, way to ruin an otherwise decent sci-fi parody, Gainax.

Sorry, but I have a feeling that fanservice^nth degree is SOP for Gainax nowadays.
arxane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Well with TechTV they did need anime that had Sci-fi/technology elements for it to be shown on their channel but since now it's G4/TechTV they do have more "freedom" to get any anime that they want since "most" gamers are into anime too.

Sorry, but I just don't believe that. This is how G4TechTV's website describes Anime Unleashed:

Quote:
In the true gamer spirit, "Anime Unleashed" focuses on the sci-fi elements of anime, titles that imagine what our near or far future will be like, probe the relationship between humans and machines, dream of what alien civilizations could be like, and more.

"Most" gamers are into sexy babes, but that doesn't mean G4TechTV should show an annual Sports Illustrated swimsuit event. The anime that the channel shows is part of the channel's dramatic content, meaning that the story itself has to deal with some aspect of sci-fi.

By the looks of things, G4TechTV is using that definition in a very vague way. I'm willing to let "Abenobashi" slide, but if they start showing something that really goes against the definition of sci-fi like "Maison Ikkoku" or *shudders* "Love Hina", then G4TechTV has officially gone in the direction of channels like MTV, AMC, and the Sci-Fi Channel.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Hod Damn woman

Despite the picture of Ren Mikihara that you see as an avatar, Nagisa is indeed a man.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
you're kidding me right? Magical Shopping district is hillarious. i highly doubt they're gonna get this on G4 without an extreme amount of editing. hopefully they'll actually show whole thing, unlike their last few animes.

No. I'm not kidding. Abenobashi sucks. After about five episodes of so-so parodies (which I admit were okay, but nothing outright hilarious), the fact that they were really just recycling the same couple of jokes over and over again (omg munemune tits thats so funnay am i rite!?) really caught up and the show got stale in a hurry. On top of that, they completely dropped the ball on what was an otherwise interesting plot. Every time they began to lean towards delving into it, they jerked the show right back into MuneMune's disgustingly oversized chest again. The actual plot never got sufficient coverage, so the one draw for me once the jokes stopped being funny was completely wasted.

And then there was...

Joe Mello wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

Sorry, but I have a feeling that fanservice^nth degree is SOP for Gainax nowadays.

This is true, but at least in most cases Gainax isn't trying to give Popotan competition in the pedophilia category by parading about a child's soiled underwear. Mahoro, Hikari (the Konomini one, not the Eva one), & Misato aren't quite what you'd call pedo-bait like Arumi apparently was.

At least with Milk-chan you get what you expect: something nonsensical that's meant to be nonsensical. No trying too hard to be a witty parody, no hinting at a deeper plot and then never actually getting to it, no blatant appeals to pedophiles with bodily fluid fetishes, none of what made Abenobashi revoltingly bad. Just nonsense. And hey, it grew on me, what can I say?

Last edited by Nagisa on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Your a FLCL fan aren't you.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Your a FLCL fan aren't you.

Why yes, as a matter of fact I am. May I ask what that has to do with the discussion at hand?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote
I know know why You don't like MSAA. I t must mean you don't like Excel Saga eather.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and Excel Saga and Popoton are the three funnyest series I have ever seen. FLCL didn't make me laugh once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2