• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[todo] Ryo-timo.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
person#47294

person#46566

So, I'm just posting to see if everybody agreed to move all the credits on these two profiles to Ryo-timo. I'm aware of the possible romanizations for the same hiragana, but I'm favor of "Ryo-timo" since that's the "official" spelling for his name.

PSWG credits (the guy over at MX Media told me that they had to double-check with the Japanese company to verify the correct spelling on all these staff names).

Old website url= Ryo-timo

Twitter account

Last edited by braves on Sat May 07, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I was holding out for more posts. ^^'

Given recent changes, the "。" part of his penname can't be submitted. Well, it's not like he uses it that often anyways.

I see from Emperor Brandon's posts that Sawa's profile should have a redirect that encompasses all of the possible romanizations, similar to what Rin-Sin has. In this case, I propose: Ryochimo/Ryōchimo/Ryoochimo/Ryo-chimo/Ryotimo/Ryōtimo/Ryootimo with Ryo-timo being the main entry. Ryōsuke Sawa would be set as his birth name (obviously).

Yay? Nay?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
My preference here would be:

Ryo-timo (main entry with most credits)
Ryo-timo Sawa ("Also known as" with specific Aquarion and Noein credits)
Ryōsuke Sawa ("Also known as" with specific Beck, Kamichu, and Aquarion credits, in addition to being "Birth name" under Ryo-timo as braves said)

All other variations would be redirected to the appropriate name (if at all possible).

Not sure if anyone ever followed up on it, but I checked those two Aquarion episodes since FUNimation has videos and they almost always use the original Japanese credits for subtitled streams. He is 澤りょーちも in episode 16, but is 澤 良輔 in episode 19 so the current placement is actually rather accurate.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
I forgot about the "also known as" part. Since that's the case, I agree with what you posted. I'm guessing one of the higher ups has to do that? *knocks on door*

Strangely enough, he actually worked under his birth name as recently as Eva 1.0. Same goes for the first episode of Black Lagoon. He also worked under his full "りょーちも。" name on the last episode of Madoka.

Also, is there any way for his penname to be "set". If you just put "Key Animation: りょーちも", you get a message saying that there's nobody with that name. It doesn't show up unless both the family and the given name have been entered, so is there any way it can be "set" without placing a family name in there?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Also, is there any way for his penname to be "set". If you just put "Key Animation: りょーちも", you get a message saying that there's nobody with that name. It doesn't show up unless both the family and the given name have been entered, so is there any way it can be "set" without placing a family name in there?

There needs to be a person with that alone as the kanji name, which would be the main entry as per EB's scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

There needs to be a person with that alone as the kanji name, which would be the main entry as per EB's scheme.

As braves noted, it still wouldn't work for a person with only a given name entered. Those don't get converted automatically and you just have to romanize their name manually to enter them. Would be nice (if possible) if they could be fixed to where they do convert, though.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I forgot about the "also known as" part. Since that's the case, I agree with what you posted. I'm guessing one of the higher ups has to do that? *knocks on door*

Yeah, something like Junichi Sato with each task under the correct credited name is what I want to be done here, but I don't think I can do the "Also known as" connections (or change names as also needs to be done), so we're going to need a higher up.

braves wrote:
Strangely enough, he actually worked under his birth name as recently as Eva 1.0. Same goes for the first episode of Black Lagoon.

So he did continue to use his birth name a little later on... Did you check some more of them? Seemed like りょーちも (with or without a period) dominated in almost all of the later entries that last time I got around to checking, but didn't do all of them (like the two you caught there).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
As braves noted, it still wouldn't work for a person with only a given name entered. Those don't get converted automatically

Really? I could have sworn I'd seen that work in the past.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
I don't think I can do the "Also known as" connections (or change names as also needs to be done), so we're going to need a higher up.

You can probably do the AKAs - I have the option at least, but I've never touched it for fear of breaking something (it's on the dropdown on the people page). It would mean creating the Ryo-timo entry first of course.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

That's what I've got as well. Right now the system seems unable to accept query / conversion with given name alone.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
You can probably do the AKAs - I have the option at least, but I've never touched it for fear of breaking something (it's on the dropdown on the people page). It would mean creating the Ryo-timo entry first of course.

It would create an alias similar to merging two names (such as the recent example of Cassandra Morris = Cassandra Lee). However, without two separate entries to begin with, the alias would have the same entry number, making un-merging next to impossible.

For example, if there is another voice actress named Cassandra Morris, I can unmerge #74741 from #95781, split #74741 into two (with the new one having a new entry number), then merge #74741 back to #95781, but with "Also known as" created by that dropdown function there will be no way to split the two, unless Dan modify the system so every "Also known as" creates a new entry number.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It would mean creating the Ryo-timo entry first of course.

It has been created here (#100857). Even if I can merge them using "Also known as" (and I definitely need to get a lot of clarification on it before I do), there's a still a few other things that need to be taken care of before that which I'm sure I can't do. Ryoochimo Sawa (#46566) needs to be renamed to Ryo-timo Sawa or else it will look extremely inconsistent. Also, I'm not able to move credits to the correct name, though I think I would able to hide credits and re-add them to the same effect if that's preferable.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
So he did continue to use his birth name a little later on... Did you check some more of them? Seemed like りょーちも (with or without a period) dominated in almost all of the later entries that last time I got around to checking, but didn't do all of them (like the two you caught there).
Checked them all out post-Noein, sans Macross Frontier movie (timeline here; can't find credits for the Macross Frontier movie since it came out recently) and he goes by りょーちも or りょーちも。 in every single one aside from Eva.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
I'm not able to move credits to the correct name, though I think I would able to hide credits and re-add them to the same effect if that's preferable.

The system doesn't allow for moves as far as I know - the reasoning being that if the current credit is incorrect then it should be set as false to prevent it being entered. I would prefer a system when an audit log that could account for the history of credits so they could be moved and edited more freely.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
I've set Ryoochimo Sawa and Ryousuke Sawa as aliases of Ryo-timo.

dormcat wrote:
It would create an alias similar to merging two names (such as the recent example of Cassandra Morris = Cassandra Lee). However, without two separate entries to begin with, the alias would have the same entry number, making un-merging next to impossible.

For example, if there is another voice actress named Cassandra Morris, I can unmerge #74741 from #95781, split #74741 into two (with the new one having a new entry number), then merge #74741 back to #95781, but with "Also known as" created by that dropdown function there will be no way to split the two, unless Dan modify the system so every "Also known as" creates a new entry number.

I've heard you say that before, but I think this is some kind of misconception you got along the way. "Also known as" will create an alias for a person, just as if you had created a new person and then merged them. And you'd be able to enter credits for that alias and they would be listed separately from the credits of the main name. It has always worked that way. Although it used to be that aliases couldn't be quickly split from their main name, and you couldn't enter separate details (birth name, etc) for the alias.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
Even if I can merge them using "Also known as" (and I definitely need to get a lot of clarification on it before I do), there's a still a few other things that need to be taken care of before that which I'm sure I can't do.

No, you can't merge names by using "Also known as", it only works to create *new* names in the database.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Dan. As mentioned before, Ryoochimo Sawa should be renamed "Ryo-timo Sawa" for consistency's sake.

I'm flagging the credits to mark which ones belong under which, since you can't add them under the correct penname otherwise.

EDIT: Additionally, the following news articles should be edited to mention "Ryo-timo" instead of "Ryoochimo Sawa"

Yozakura Quartet Manga Gets 3rd Original Anime DVD
Yozakura Quartet Manga Gets 2nd Original Anime DVD
Yozakura Quartet Gets New Anime Adaptation This October
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2