• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old Video Troubleshooting

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
My problem isn't getting the video to play, because that works fine from my computer - my issue is that the video keeps losing, for want of a better word the toolbar that allows you to pause, fullscreen etc.

I have to pause fairly frequently because I watch some videos in work (having a job that allows me to do so) and frequently when I do pause or when I don't have time to pause and have to tab out of fullscreen to answer a call I come back and the toolbar is no longer popping meaning I have to constantly restart. It's not flash crashing or anything by the looks of it because about half the time the video is continuing to play and I just can't pause it or fullscreen while the other half the video is paused and I have no way to continue it.

Not sure if there's a setting I could change in flash to help with this, but just thought I'd register the complaint at the least and see if it helps.
awrl100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
I have an Anime-On-Demand subscription and am unable to play Anime-On-Demand videos via Sony PlayStation3 browser; the video frame remains blank-black.
*Does anybody know if the Anime-On-Demand video is compatible with PS3 software?
*Any suggestions?

Do you have adblock and/or noscript Firefox extensions?
Not applicable

Is it a problem with a third-party video?
Don't believe this is claddified as 'third-party'.

Try force-reloading the page.
Tried: Noeffect.

What error message do you see? (if any)
No error message.

Are you behind a firewall or a router?
Yes, but video playing through laptop indicates this unlikely to be a factor.

Does the page appear to be taking forever to finish loading?
Page finishes loading, busy indicator vanishes.

What ads are on the page?
At the very bottom of the page, after the "privacy policy" link, what is the value of the line that begins with "Ads by"?
This does not appear at all at the bottom of the page as described above.

Do a traceroute.
Not applicable. However, video working from laptop indicates this is unlikely to be a network(routing) issue.

What system do you use?
PS3, UK, with latest system software updates.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
tsob that's a very strange bug. Can you PM me and let me know what browser you're using and what version of Flash? That's not normal behavior.

We will be updating our video player very shortly and ironing out some bugs that remain, and I want to make sure we've taken care of as many as we can, but in over a year I haven't seen what you're talking about.

awrl100 As for PS3, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sorry, ANN and many other video websites require a version of Flash way newer than what is in the PS3. I don't know why they stopped updating that... We'd love to support it, but Adobe actually added the entire additional programming language on which we depend in the mean time...
awrl100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

awrl100 As for PS3, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sorry, ANN and many other video websites require a version of Flash way newer than what is in the PS3. I don't know why they stopped updating that... We'd love to support it, but Adobe actually added the entire additional programming language on which we depend in the mean time...

Thank you jsevakis. No worries. I am blaming a perhaps slightly extortionist Adobe, and mean Sony for this one in that case. Thank you for finalising that for me.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I can't get episode 2 of Tiger and Bunny to play. It just sits there endlessly on the loading screen.

Episode 1 is playing fine.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I currently can't play any videos (at least not any I've tried so far) on fast.anime-on-demand.com:

It works at:
animenewsnetwork.com/video/12154/
http://www.anime-on-demand.com/video/12154/

Not working at:
http://fast.anime-on-demand.com/video/12154/

Clearing cookies for the anime-on-demand.com domain and logging back in makes no difference.

--edit--

also, like errinundra above I can't actually play episode 2 of Tiger and Bunny at all - the player loads (when I'm on one of the working domains) but the spinny thing just spins.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cairnsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Just echoing errinundra and stating that I can't get Tiger & Bunny 2 to work here in New Zealand, either. The first episode does work, however.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that. T&B 2 should be fixed now.

Shiroi Hane, I'll have to look into that issue with Fast. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the prompt response. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
westrim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to watch Spice and Wolf before it expires, so of course I'm having video issues. The ad service seems to be to blame, but I don't have an ad blocker enabled and no error message comes up- it just does nothing. Once it played the first ad and OP, but then refused to play the next ad or otherwise move forward.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Hi Westrim,

Is it any specific episode you're having troubles with, or just overall? Also, do you get the play button before it hangs, or does it just never load? As much detail as you can muster would be helpful in figuring out what's going wrong. Thanks!
westrim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
I assume it's every video. I specifically tried 3, 4, and 7. More details:

It loads fully (that is, to the loloed screen on a whit background) and the play button is operational, but nothing occurs. I press play, the status bar indicates the ad server is being connected to, then nothing, the play button greyscales and the video goes black. The white dots on the video load/progress bar that indicate commercial breaks also react when clicked, but to no effect aside from the status bar showing attempts to connect to adap.tv and also locking against further attempts to click them. The video remains empty except for the upper right icon leading to the video main page- no swirly 'I'm working' thing, nada.

I've tried at various points deleting my cookies for the ad server and Anime News Network and logging out and logging back in. I also checked that Flash was updated and restarted Firefox twice.

I hope this is helpful. I have managed to find an alternate route, Funimations Youtube channel, but I'd rather watch it here.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Hello. Other month I paid for Pandora Hearts 2nd half of the series to watch. This week I've tried different times of day and it doesn't seem to matter. Video starts playing but then it's swirl swirl swirl. If I'm lucky it starts playing again, if not it just keeps doing that. I gave up after 5 minutes of it still swirling.

Mac OS10.6.6, 2.66 GHz i5 quad core, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, Safari 5.0.3, Flash 10.2.153. Cable modem through a broadband router (D-Link).

traceroute to fms.edgecastcdn.net (68.232.32.137), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 * * *
2 rd1bb-ge13-0-0-5.vc.shawcable.net (64.59.159.50) 15.353 ms 11.057 ms 27.788 ms
3 rc2bb-tge0-4-5-0.vc.shawcable.net (66.163.69.77) 8.134 ms 7.788 ms 10.251 ms
4 rc1wt-pos4-0-0.wa.shawcable.net (66.163.76.126) 22.106 ms 21.212 ms 14.413 ms
5 paix1.sea.edgecastdn.net (198.32.134.27) 12.785 ms 13.768 ms 13.870 ms
6 68.232.32.137 (68.232.32.137) 15.171 ms 23.116 ms 13.080 ms

ISP's speedtest: Ping 35ms, DL 19.34Mbps, UL 0.67 Mbps

I tried on my Macbook Pro (i5 dual core, 8MB ram) with Windows 7 installed with FF3.6 and latest Flash, same cable modem (wirelessly connected to router) and same result (swirl swirl).

Been trying to watch ep18-21 this week.

The Flash firewall link in the list of things to check goes to an Adobe page that says doesn't exist.
BigByteSlim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the premium sub beta for ANN AU. Just tried watching the first ep of C.

The streaming works fine but the 720p stream is missing subs (even the button to enable/disable them is missing).

480p is fine though.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
BigByteSlim wrote:
I'm in the premium sub beta for ANN AU. Just tried watching the first ep of C.

The streaming works fine but the 720p stream is missing subs (even the button to enable/disable them is missing).

480p is fine though.

Yep, looks like the wrong version got uploaded. Sorry, fixing right now, should be updated in a few minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11