• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
imported anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh benfield

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
if you buy imported anime do you need a certain type of dvd player or will it just play.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
You'll need a DVD player that can support Region 2 discs. DVDs are encoded to only be compatible with players in a certain part of the world (hence "region"); North America is Region 1, Western Europe & Japan are Region 2, Australia is Region 4, China is Region 6, etc. So to play Region 2 discs, you need a Region 2 (or Region-Free) player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
China is Region 6

Actually, to be more specific, mainland China is R6. Hong Kong and Taiwan are R3 (just so you don't get confused Smile.)

Here's a link for map of the Region zones.

http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html

And welcome to the forums! Wink
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
You'll need a DVD player that can support Region 2 discs. DVDs are encoded to only be compatible with players in a certain part of the world (hence "region"); North America is Region 1, Western Europe & Japan are Region 2, Australia is Region 4, China is Region 6, etc. So to play Region 2 discs, you need a Region 2 (or Region-Free) player.

You forgot to mention that a DVD encoded as Region 0/Free is generally illegal/bootleg.
Josh benfield

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
do you think that my ps2 will play them
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Josh benfield wrote:
do you think that my ps2 will play them

It depends on what kinds of games your PS2 plays.

If it's unmodded and plays American games, it's Region 1 encoded.
If it's unmodded and plays Japanese games, it's Region 2 NTSC (the same as Japanese DVDs).
If it's unmodded and plays European games, it's Region 2 PAL (NOT the same as Japanese DVDs).

If you've modded an American PS2, it *probably* will play R2 DVDs, but I can't guarantee it.

If you intend to buy "import" DVDs, be aware that many are bootlegs:
http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#dvd

If you buy an "import" DVD with subtitles, or with 6+ episodes per DVD (a "3 disc box set", for instance), or with English and Chinese subtitles, you are -probably- buying a bootleg.

R2 DVDs are about $40-50 per disc, usually have NO subtitles, and usually only include Japanese audio. They also typically have only 3-4 episodes per DVD (Yes, anime is very expensive in Japan). FWIW, Japanese boxed sets are very expensive, typically running over $300 per series.

If you're looking for legitimate R2s, I suggest http://www.cdjapan.co.jp (or http://www.amazon.co.jp if you can read Japanese).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gnollman

Play a region 0? Certainly. Play any region other than 1 or 0? Nope.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PS2 won't play imported discs.
Josh benfield

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
well i think theyre bootlegged so i dont know about buying them anymore but they sooo are cheap so maybe.

why Crying or Very sad
eva05

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
That's not entirely true.

Gen 1 Japanese PS2s did in fact play US R1 DVDs if you executed a small hack on the controller.

of course playing DVDs ona PS2 is not recommended as it kills the laser faster than just game playing. Invest in multi-region DVD player. If you don't have a good tv you can even get away with players under $100 that do PAL/NTSC conversion even! They're not the ebst players but if you don't have HDTV or 30+ " you prob don't need progressive scan, component out or any of those fancy features.

If you live in the NYC area Kim's Video sells some that are decent for the price tag.

j
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:46 am Reply with quote
Josh benfield wrote:
well i think theyre bootlegged so i don't know about buying them anymore but they sooo are cheap so maybe.

why Crying or Very sad

Just a word of warning, if they are HK imports, than you will have lots of fun figuring out the Subs. A friend on mind bought a You're Under Arrest Season 2 HK import a couple of years ago. You could get by with the subs (if you don't mind having extra words, or incorrect words in your subs, causing some sentences to make little, if any, sense) until like disc 3 I think? All of the sudden the subs changed the names of all the characters to something completely different. At that point I couldn't watch it anymore because I didn't know who was speaking or who they were speaking to.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:21 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Josh benfield wrote:
well i think theyre bootlegged so i don't know about buying them anymore but they sooo are cheap so maybe.

why Crying or Very sad

Just a word of warning, if they are HK imports, than you will have lots of fun figuring out the Subs. A friend on mind bought a You're Under Arrest Season 2 HK import a couple of years ago. You could get by with the subs (if you don't mind having extra words, or incorrect words in your subs, causing some sentences to make little, if any, sense) until like disc 3 I think? All of the sudden the subs changed the names of all the characters to something completely different. At that point I couldn't watch it anymore because I didn't know who was speaking or who they were speaking to.

Your friend brought a HK bootleg. I don't think there's any legal anime being sold in hong kong.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:35 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Your friend brought a HK bootleg. I don't think there's any legal anime being sold in hong kong.

I know it's a bootleg, he didn't at the time, just trying to make sure that Josh benfield doesn't make the same mistake.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:25 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

There are. Odex Private Ltd, for instance, is one legitimate company. Others exist, but they're fairly rare. Almost all of their titles are region-coded rather than region-free, too, and usually include a Chinese (Cantonese) dub track.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1