• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voices of a Distant Star an OAV?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Voices of a Distant Star is listed as an OAV in the encyclopedia but it premiered with a theatrical release (running for a month at the Tollywood cinema in Tokyo) and was shown at a number of film festivals. Wouldn't that make it a short movie rather than an OAV?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Both Japanese Wikipedia and Allcinema.net list it as a movie.

Japanese Wikipedia wrote:
『ほしのこえ -The voices of a distant star-』 は、新海誠監督が制作し2002年に公開されたアニメーション映画

Allcinema.net wrote:
ほしのこえ(2002)
THE VOICES OF A DISTANT STAR
メディア 映画 Anime
上映時間 25分
製作国 日本
公開情報 劇場公開(MANGAZOO.COM)
初公開年月 2002/02/02
ジャンル SF/青春/アクション

However, Anison Generation lists it as an OVA, with a (video) release date two months later.

Anison Generation wrote:
VD オリジナルビデオアニメーション
ほしのこえ

販売情報
発売日
2002年04月19日

2002-04-19 was no doubt the DVD release date, and 2002-02-02 was most likely the premiere date. However, we've got examples like MAPS (1987) that labeled as OVA but actually had a small limited screening before its video release (shrug).

More info welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Wabbit98

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Do not know how accurate this is but the English Wikipedia article states that it is an OVA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_a_Distant_Star

On the ADV website it lists it as an OVA.

http://www.advfilms.com/buy/anime/drama/voices-of-a-distant-star/the-ova/product.aspx?ProductId=19708&CategoryId=0
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
Makoto Shinkai (in the booklet accompanying the Shinkai Collection DVD set) wrote:
Its first public presentation was at Shimokitazawa's Short Movie Theatre in Tollywood. In the period of one month, from February 2nd to March 1st, it was able to make a record attendance of 3,484 people, Tollywood's largest mobilization record.

And, from later in the same booklet:

Quote:
Preview 3 played at the Tokyo International Anime Fair 21, and (suprisingly) had English subtitles. This version was produced for movie festivals overseas.

I would have thought it was unusual for a made-for-DVD production to be touted to international film festivals (most of which have strict criteria for entries).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1