• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rick and Morty: The Anime's Trailer Confirms August 15 Debut, Bilingual Casts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:56 am Reply with quote
I expected a dub eventually but I expected them to fully commit to the Japanese track first. Guess they caved to demand.

Looks interesting but I'm going in with zero expectations since I have no clue how the anime will differ from the main show.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The voice actors are all different
I think the new actors for Rick and Morty are the same but the rest of the family is ultimately recast.

That was unexpected
tinyirnfist0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Like the English dub for Suicide Squad Isekai, it is a non-union Texas-based dub.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I think the new actors for Rick and Morty are the same but the rest of the family is ultimately recast.

That was unexpected
No, even Rick & Morty were recast for this. I am surprised with this move as well. I guess because it's a completely different world, they wanted to give completely new voices, but still, I didn't expect this move.

But, at the same time, I didn't actually expect this to be dubbed at all, given the original reports. Only within the last couple of weeks did we hear anything about this being dubbed. So I'm grateful for a dub, since it'll make things easier to watch for my husband and I. Kinda sucks that the dub is only on Thursdays, so it's going to require us to stay up later than we usually would during the week, but eh. It is what it is.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit jarring, but it being non-union isn't surprising.

I just thought because it's a big IP property they would treat it the same way as the original.

It was just really jarring, and I don't know if I wanna watch yet. I don't have anything against the cast. It was just very easy to hear the difference in the trailer. I couldn't remember the original voice actors by name then I had to double check.

I still don't know if I'm interested in this yet. Maybe I'll change my mind closer to the premiere date.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

That was unexpected

Here in Latin America, the dub is made in Mexico instead of Venezuela where Rick & Morty has been dubbed since the beginning, save for some cameos R&M had in things like The Simpsons, Space Jam 2 and Rick's appaerance in Multiversus which were done in Mexico. Rick went from being voiced by Juan Guzmán (the titular Samurai Jack, Alex Louis Armstrong in FMAB's Animax dub) to Gerardo Reyero (Freezer from DBZ, Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon, Van Hohenheim in FMAB's Funimation re-dub), while Rick went from being voiced by Eder La Barrera (Ling Yao in FMAB's Animax's dub) to Miguel Ángel Leal (Ash Ketchum from Pokémon B&W onwards, Meliodas in The Seven Deadly Sins, Eren Jaeger).
I don't know if this means that the Suicide Squad Isekai anime will be dub in Mexico, most people asumed it would be dubbed in Venezuela since all DC animated productions, save for some rare exceptions, have been dubbed in Venezuela starting from Batman TAS.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I was already turned off by the art style, so having a different voice cast seals the deal for me. I wish the show every success, but I won't be tuning in to watch.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The Houston VA crowd must be eating good with these more high profile shows.
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I've never really watched Rick and Morty outside some of the meme clips but something about the art seems really off. Which is odd because the original show is very simple and not very well drawn either but I think I prefer that over this style for the characters. It's hard to describe.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess Sentai is now WB's go-to dubbing studio.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Odd that they didn't go with the same voice cast, though I guess they didn't want to pay or the cast didn't want to dub a "different" show.
I would have probably watched the dub, but if the cast is different that'd probably be too annoying to watch, so I guess it's sub.
NebulousNeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me if I'm wrong as I don't really care about Rick and Morty at all really but didn't they say they weren't going to do a dub for this project because having it in English would defeat the purpose of it or something?
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get what the appeal of this is. I mean it doesn't really seem to be funny from all the clips that have come out, but also (no offense to the director) it also doesn't really look good for an action show. I mean is the entire thing just a long-form gag where the punchline is "isn't it ridiculous that this exists?" Or is it just that R&M has been such a smash hit for them that they just want any new content besides reruns in between seasons and this was the solution they arrived at?

Covnam wrote:
Odd that they didn't go with the same voice cast, though I guess they didn't want to pay or the cast didn't want to dub a "different" show.

It's probably because they want to ensure that the show feels more "different" than just an art style shift. Also depending on how much creative control he has, Dan Harmon might have specifically asked that the main cast not be in this show. (unless this anime is a real unexpected smash hit, I suspect that there might be a future joke where they kill the anime R&M offscreen like they did with Space Jam 2 R&M)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:35 am Reply with quote
While I'm glad to see Sentai voice actors getting more roles in high profile shows, between this and Suicide Squad, I suspect that Warner Bros is turning to anime dub actors because they want to be cheap and not pay union actors.
Nekbone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:04 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While I'm glad to see Sentai voice actors getting more roles in high profile shows, between this and Suicide Squad, I suspect that Warner Bros is turning to anime dub actors because they want to be cheap and not pay union actors.

So the authentic dub experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2