• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Home Video Sales Down by 16.1% in 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:00 am Reply with quote
The Physical Media era for home video has pretty much died out, except for the collectors market, regular and general customers don't really need it as they can use online stream and such to view and enjoy things.

However i still believe in physical media as it allows one to preserve any title they enjoyed for personal use and can prevent from becoming lost media and such, so i do hope rather than go fully extinct, it should become more focused on the collectors side. Much Like how Books and Vinyls are in today's era.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
The Physical Media era for home video has pretty much died out, except for the collectors market, regular and general customers don't really need it as they can use online stream and such to view and enjoy things.

However i still believe in physical media as it allows one to preserve any title they enjoyed for personal use and can prevent from becoming lost media and such, so i do hope rather than go fully extinct, it should become more focused on the collectors side. Much Like how Books and Vinyls are in today's era.

Not only that and I say this as someone who has a love-hate relationship with streaming in general, I've been keeping track of streaming sites' "original" contents being removed from their platform. Like for example, you would be surprised to see how many Netflix's "original" content got removed from Netflix.

Now even Arrested Development where Netflix co-produced season 4 & 5 is going to get removed from the platform.

You already know about HBO Max removed 36 titles including 20 of their MAX originals. HBO Max removed 2 of their hit flagship shows from their streaming platform.

It's not only Netflix, & HBO Max, but Showtime and Starz have also started to remove their 1st party content from their streaming platform:

Deadline Hollywood: ‘Dangerous Liaisons,’ ‘Becoming Elizabeth’ & ‘Step Up’ Pulled From Starz As Streaming Removals Become More Widespread

Variety: Showtime Removes ‘American Gigolo,’ ‘Let the Right One In’ and Several Other Series From Streaming Service

Overall, this is not looking good for customers/consumers that are watching these 1st party "original" shows/films contents on those platform, and hence why my hate in love-hate relationship in streaming in general has started to go up more and more.

If anything, I can predict that physical media may see a resurgence in sales because of more news of streaming providers continuing to remove their "original" 1st party contents off of their platform. Home video/physical media sales maybe down for now, but I think in theory, it could get a resurgence in sales again if more announcement of content being removed from streaming platform continue to happen more & more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:36 pm Reply with quote
*laughs in overflowing shelves*
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

If anything, I can predict that physical media may see a resurgence in sales because of more news of streaming providers continuing to remove their "original" 1st party contents off of their platform. Home video/physical media sales maybe down for now, but I think in theory, it could get a resurgence in sales again if more announcement of content being removed from streaming platform continue to happen more & more.

Problem with your argument is that a lot (and I mean a LOT) of first party streaming originals these days never get physical releases. They're kept exclusive on the service, then if the provider ever decides to remove the show, it disappears into the ether like it never even existed.

You may be correct that physical media may come back due to the current situation, but that only helps save a certain percentage of shows. The 2020s is going to eventually have so much lost media because the studios have no intention of helping preserve the content they're producing. It's all disposable to them.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Hasn't anime in Japan always been a collectors market though? The fact 4000 was considered the 'break even' line and it was a slam dunk to see any show get above 10K as a big success. And from what I've seen that can still happen. Bocchi the Rock sold 17K the first week. This might just be the mainstream stuff shrinking since anime can still sell well since it's always been for collectors.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
It's important to remember that most anime are considered advertisements for the adapted manga. For instance, Chihayafuru's manga sales quadrupled after the first anime season began. I'm sure Kodansha was a lot happier with that result than whether they sold another 1,000 discs.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I would be more prone to respecting physical releases if distributors didn't feel the need to throw the baby out with the bathwater regarding less than expected sales numbers.

I like my physical releases as much as the next guy but if I'm not guaranteed a complete release of volumes, then I see no reason to stave off streaming. Politics of services be damned!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:

Problem with your argument is that a lot (and I mean a LOT) of first party streaming originals these days never get physical releases. They're kept exclusive on the service, then if the provider ever decides to remove the show, it disappears into the ether like it never even existed.

You may be correct that physical media may come back due to the current situation, but that only helps save a certain percentage of shows. The 2020s is going to eventually have so much lost media because the studios have no intention of helping preserve the content they're producing. It's all disposable to them.

I already pointed it out on a blu-ray.com forum that I created a thread for that exact situation like the one being played out on Netflix, HBO Max, etc.... On there, I expressed concern about Netflix not making 1st party contents (or any of their "original" content aside from the one that they already made available like Stranger Things) available on blu-ray/DVDs.

Regarding the part I bold, that is a big concern, but there's no way a provider expect people to suddenly forget like it didn't exist. Oh no, this is why I'm glad why I have entertainment news sites like Variety, Hollywood Reporter, What's on Netflix, etc.... To hold those providers accountable, and to keep track of how many of their 1st party content(s) left that provider's platform.

But as I said, I think because more people are becoming more aware of content (including 1st party created contents) being gone from a streaming platform, I think it may cause more people to seek out and buy that content on physical media like DVD/blu-ray. So that's why I'm glad it could lead to more people like me to become more vocal when it comes to physical media and preservation.

Oh and one more thing, you wrote this:

Quote:
The 2020s is going to eventually have so much lost media because the studios have no intention of helping preserve the content they're producing. It's all disposable to them.

I don't think it'll be lost media from my point of view, because I was watching a CBS Sunday Morning video from 2014 on how US National Archive & Library of Congress preserve film and TV shows, and at 4:37 of the video, it's revealed that the National Archive/Library of Congress also record, preserve, and archive live TV broadcast in real time and I have to assume that may include streaming content too. So in today's digital world including streaming, nothing become lost media because we have the National Archive & Library of Congress to thanks for making sure nothing ever become lost media.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meexa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it is just me. But when I was the streaming version of Akudama Drive vs Digital vs Blu ray disc. The Blu ray disc had a far superior quality than the other 3. Especially with the streaming version, despite me paying for mid tier internet. I'm one tier away from purchasing the highest tier with spectrum.

So this is why I still like physical releases, but only for certain titles. Akudama Drive was ridiculously beautiful. This way I don't have to worry about any computer software or isp issues getting in the way.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Maybe it is just me. But when I was the streaming version of Akudama Drive vs Digital vs Blu ray disc. The Blu ray disc had a far superior quality than the other 3. Especially with the streaming version, despite me paying for mid tier internet. I'm one tier away from purchasing the highest tier with spectrum.

So this is why I still like physical releases, but only for certain titles. Akudama Drive was ridiculously beautiful. This way I don't have to worry about any computer software or isp issues getting in the way.

No, you're not alone. I've watched several movies that I have on BD & compare it to stream version on Netflix, Prime Video, etc.... I found out and wasn't surprised that the BD/physical media looks better when it comes to detail, and less artifact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1