• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Women's Group Complains About Male-Only Momoiro Clover Z Concert

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
No one complained about the female only Sailor Moon Usagi birthday event a year or so ago. Get a life people.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
That was to prevent sexual harassment and from creepy otaku from taking over the event. There's no legitimate excuse for this that's been presented and yet anime fans wonder why everyone else hates them when they make excuses for blatant discrimination. There's no hope for humanity when discrimination is justified with "get a life."
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
No one complained about the female only Sailor Moon Usagi birthday event a year or so ago. Get a life people.

Men were allowed as guests? And yeah, that was to prevent sexual harassment. 1) The application was in a fashion magazine FOR WOMEN. 2) If you go to many shojo events, a majority of people there are actually creepy otaku guys, not the intended audience. Because this was a fashion event by Vivi, they wanted the women to feel safe.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Men were allowed as guests? And yeah, that was to prevent sexual harassment. 1) The application was in a fashion magazine FOR WOMEN. 2) If you go to many shojo events, a majority of people there are actually creepy otaku guys, not the intended audience. Because this was a fashion event by Vivi, they wanted the women to feel safe.

Do you see the hypocrisy in your own words. You say men were not allowed at the event because it wasn't targeted at them, and also made over generalizations that apparently any male who wanted to go would be a creepy otaku, by that token clearly the target audience of this event is men, because the god dam organizers themselves made it explicitly so. Clearly women are not the intended audience.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

But...was that event government-sponsored?

The ANN article wrote:
...a few factors make this concert (Momoclo Otoko Matsuri 2015) stand out: it will take place at a medieval historical site — the ruins of the Heian-era Dazaifu Administrative Buildings — and it is sponsored by the Dazaifu Tenman Shrine, the Dazaifu municipal government, and the Kyushu National Museum.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
But men's rights, hippocrisy, political correctness & yada yada yada.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For comparison, the rock band Maximum The Hormone has a history of bizarre discrimination in its concerts: women without makeup (2006), men and women over 178 or 168 centimeters (5'10'' or 5'6''), respectively (2008), people over 16 years old wearing down jackets, and people in visual kei-style clothing and makeup (both in 2009), for instance.

Well at least they're creative with this stuff
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Boy can you tell it is a different culture. Even if the law permitted, I can't see anyone setting up a concert here where you couldn't take a date. I can't imagine a concert hall or stadium with nothing but sweaty guys.
traveling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Before people go mouthing about sexism, they should read the article to understand why the group is complaining. There's a legitimate argument that goes beyond gender discrimination.

CrownKlown wrote:
Do you see the hypocrisy in your own words. You say men were not allowed at the event because it wasn't targeted at them, and also made over generalizations that apparently any male who wanted to go would be a creepy otaku, by that token clearly the target audience of this event is men, because the god dam organizers themselves made it explicitly so. Clearly women are not the intended audience.

Is this a set up for a not all men argument?
Foxaika

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
What makes it a bit tricky for me is that the local government is involved. Other than that, I'm not sure I care. Have events with only men or women. Not that big of a deal in my opinion. Having the government support it could lead to some unfortunate implications however.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Anything funded with public money should be open to everyone.

Had this been a private event I'd be all for banning whatever the hell they wanted to.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Yet, that same group might turn a blind eye if it was the opposite.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
A municipal body should not be in the business of funding gender-segregated events.

However, the actual fact that the concert itself is gender segregated doesn't concern me, as there have been numerous female-only events over the years. (And with that aforementioned Sailor Moon event, men had to come with their girlfriends which basically eliminates a huge number of guys, so it was in practice female-only). As long as both genders get their own concerts then it balances out.

Both the location and the for-profit status don't bother me either, and neither should be made into issues.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there will come a day in which something related to discrimination against women doesn't immediately trigger a "but if this were men you wouldn't call it discrimination" response by half the people who read it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I already find a (insert gender or other category)-specific concert nonsense... But then you get public sponsorship involved, and you should be ready for a nice (nasty) surprise. Public sponsored events are for the general public.

As for the above-mentioned Sailor Moon event... Surely there aren't male fans of the series, right? (Sarcasm) And sure, all of the men that would come would be creepy perverts, rights? (Sarcasm, again) And surely, there aren't gay fans of the series, right? (Need I say more?)

Has anyone though of just increasing security in these events?

Honestly, if one day a lesbian or bi creepy pervert comes in to one of these all-girl events, I'll say: Try to segregate this.

But knowing how crazy some people are, maybe some events would ban LGBT from entering all together (Japan has no national ban on discrimination)... No can do, this is a bad outcome. I don't want that to happen.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

But seriously, these events are just a bad idea. Just increase safety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4