• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: County Attorney: Fatal Shooting of Utah Man Was 'Reasonable'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waraich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
i dont get the US.. its alright to open carry guns but its not okey to carry a sword that isnt even meant to be used as a weapon?
terran3020

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
but most gun owners don't go pointing it a people/fiddling around with them in public???
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
At this point, I can't believe anything the press said. Something like shooting a cosplayer who had abruptly withdraw the sword seems like a convenient lie... But I'm not saying it's an absolute.

There's an awful lot of similar cases where police authorities abuse their gun right.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
I'm not suprised,police officers see black people as more of a threat then white people.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
We only have the officers' words that he attacked them with the sword. It's been proven that they lied about many aspects of the case, so I cannot trust anything they say at all.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, six bullets to the back, totally justified, nothing to see here, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
But according to witnesses, the sword-wielding man didn't attack the officer and they said he didn't even take the sword off the sheath. Also, it doesn't seem like that guy was pointing or swinging his sword to random people, or else some other witness would already say something about it.

The sword indeed doesn't look like toy sword, so I guess it was justified for the policemen if that man really did attack them with it.

I don't know if racial issues play a role here, but I heard a case of some paranoid Caucasian male (falsely) reported an African-American guy who walked around with toy rifle in Walmart (which in fact, did sell the rifle) which resulted the black man killed by police before he could even explain. So, even if it's probably not true in this case, racial stereotype is always there. (Plus I must remind you that the mother is Caucasian)
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Give it time before Ferguson 2.0, 3.0 and more occurs in the US.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, six bullets to the back, totally justified, nothing to see here, right?
That seems to be their sentiment. I can't even believe that nothing's being done about this. Wait, yes, I can. He's a black male in America, of course his murder is going to be swept under the rug as "justified." Disgusting.
Enabaka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Just like how there was a report at a wal-mart about a man who seemed suspicious and the cops ended up shooting a black kid who was buying a bb gun at the walmart, they shot him while he was on his phone.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
"Paid administrative leave" is the icing on the cake of murder.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
Enabaka wrote:
Just like how there was a report at a wal-mart about a man who seemed suspicious and the cops ended up shooting a black kid who was buying a bb gun at the walmart, they shot him while he was on his phone.

Let's not forget the cop who asked a black man to show him his driver's license, and when the citizen reached into his car to grab his license the cop then shot at him. Yes, if a citizen is black he is at risk of being shot by police for following their own instructions. Luckily, of the multiple shots that was fired at the citizen only one hit (and that was non-fatal), although it is highly disturbing that even after the citizen raised his hands in surrender the officer still continued to fire.

Thanks to dash-cam footage the officer involved was fired and arrested. Hallelujah. But if no video footage existed at all would the police have really have censured a cop for shooting an unarmed black man who was only obeying his instructions? Probably not. Which is why you should always film all interactions between police and citizens. That's not a joke (not anymore it isn't), that's just common sense. The sooner police are forced to wear cameras the better and safer we will be from them.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Maybe you shouldn't be swinging a sword around, or at police, okay?..
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
@Enabaka
Yeah, that's the case I was talking about. Except that it's not a black kid. He already had three children.

The difference with this case is that the Walmart "accidental murder" has surveillance camera footage and it is shown that the man, John Crawford, indeed picked up the air rifle in one aisle in Walmart, and when the police charges to him, it is shown that he was shot on his side before he could even face the officer. (The officer claimed that he didn't comply when they told him to put the gun off) He was talking to his wife. Over the phone the wife could listen his last words "It's not real." and him gasping for air.

And even after so many evidence, I heard the police didn't get any charge. What's worse, the man who falsely reported him also didn't get anything.

So, honestly I'm not with the police in this one. The one who claims that Darrien Hunt attacked and swung the sword to the police is just the police, and they can just fabricate any lie and get away with it.
0seveN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
But according to witnesses, the sword-wielding man didn't attack the officer and they said he didn't even take the sword off the sheath.

dtm42 wrote:
We only have the officers' words that he attacked them with the sword.

According to the Tribune article there were actually two witnesses who both said he unsheathed the sword and swung at the officers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6