• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote

Utawarerumono (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: dog girls, giant weapons, gore, harem, mecha, military, post-apocalyptic, religion, shapeshifting, war

Plot Summary: An injured, amnesiac man with a mysterious mask is found abandoned in the forest. After he is nurtured back to health, he is given the name Hakuoro. After saving the village from a wrathful deity, he adopts the role of the village's leader. Although wishing to live in peace, fate eventually forces him down the path of war and battle...
----------------------------------

Well, lemme just first mention that this show has really grown on me. At first, I thought it was just a very generic-feeling fantasy show, good for some mild entertainment but not much else. But as it's progressed, I've started to really, really like it... especially the 'super group' that Hakuoro has assembled over the course of the show. I love all the characters in it. Smile

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that in episode 14, both the level of gore (as in, blood spraying, body parts flying, graphic deaths, etc) and the quality of animation (smoothness of action, and complexity/coolness of the fighting) seemed to jump up. Prior to this episode, there was occasional bloodspray and stuff, but this is the first time I recall seeing people being cleaved in half on screen, body parts flying in the air, etc. The blood spray seems a lot more extensive too. And in earlier episodes, while the fighting was cool, it was not very fluid or well-coreographed. I actually remember thinking "Well, the story is good but the fighting is really sub-par". But in this episode, all of a sudden the fight sequences are really cool, what with the acrobatic manuvers pulled off, the fluidity of the way they are animated, and actually showing the entire fight rather than using cut-aways and still-frames and such.

For me, I would say both are very positive changes and would really improve the show if it continued in the future episodes. I dunno, am I just imagining things or did other people notice this as well?

Last edited by Exaar on Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yes I will have to say there were some small diffrences in the detail of the combat scene (I've seen this in other anime as well). Though I would say that the reason is they decided to give better detail to the battle that took place because it had been the final battle of the war with the enemy nation.
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
That's not true: spoiler[ The fighting that took place in this episode was a series of small (or sometimes large) border skirmishes: not one battle, and certainly not the 'final battle'. The series still has 12 episodes to go, after all. The episode ended with Hakuoro riding off to battle with Karura and Touka into the heart of the enemy's land. Therefore I would say the battle is just beginning, rather than ending.]
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Agree with Exaar to the letter. What I wanna see is spoiler[what Hakuoro really is. It seems to me that he has some beast trapped inside his body, and the mask is somewhat of a seal that, although it might not fully prevent the beast from coming out, at the very least weakens it. I also find it kind of interesting that most of his commanders are master swordsmen (excluding the Samurai Leader, who is an expert Halberdier).] Can't wait to see the next ep :O
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[True, they are all (with the exception of Benawi and the Archer Twins) master swordsmen.. but they all use differant types of swords/differant styles, which makes it very cool and not boring. Smile]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I too wasn't particularly impressed with this show at first, but it kept getting better than better, and this episode honestly had some of the best fighting I've ever seen. Karura is just... to much to handle Twisted Evil If the quality keeps improving like it has been, I can't even imagine the scenes at the end of the show Shocked (or even the next episode for that matter!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
free2slap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
actually i'm not impressed and as i recall everything they been doing since the first episode is fighting leaving the story with a lackness of a depth emotion. it's cool and all that the fights are great but the plot is too weak. and that is why it is so hard to find nowadays a good action/adventure anime with a meaningful or a deep emotional plot when comparing to FMA and hunter x hunter. if i had to grade this anime i would give it a 7/10.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually I kind of think that's done on purpose. The characters themselves are trying to move the storyline emotionally, but the war is making it hard to carry out those emotions because they're so busy. I know this reference will probably get me flamed, but look at 9/11. When that occured, the people were very emotional (myself excluded, I somehow found it funny O_o), yet the people in the media and in high government areas didn't really have time to show their emotions or anything because there was so much to be done within a given timelimit. This is basically what's happening here, they're too busy with the war to extend their emotional relationships.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Actually I kind of think that's done on purpose. The characters themselves are trying to move the storyline emotionally, but the war is making it hard to carry out those emotions because they're so busy.

I completely agree, and in my book, this is a very very good idea for this series. At first glance it seems like a really cliche show, but the more you get into it, it is just so clearly different. Also, I think that this approach and the relationships between the characters are among the more better ones out there; this doesn't seem like the kind of story that would shy away from having the characters getting involved sexually, but they seem to do so for more story oriented and realistic reasons than "I'm an ignorant guy who can't tell girls like him". Everything that has happened seems really obvious in HINDSIGHT, but there were MANY episodes where I was left wondering which direction the show was going to take, and I can honestly say I'm pleased with most of those choices. The ONLY thing I don't like about the show right now is the bad guy, his laugh is so hoaky it's hard to take him seriously. The show is only half over and I'm already starting to really wish there was a lot more of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
If ever I found myself in a fantasy world I would make it my life's work to hunt down and kill every silver haired male in the land as they are ALWAYS the evil masterminds.

That aside (as of EP 13... winged, silver haired dude:CHECK! ) I like how the plot is developing and that the show is giving Hakuoro time to properly assembly his party before the inevitable world-ending shit hits the proverbial fan. So far its pretty much a by the book fantasy story, but I'm having fun following it do wish it went on for longer than 26 episodes. Hell when Goodkind and Jordan are still whoring out their poor stories into the double digit volumes, why not give Utawarerumono at least 50-ish?
Neko_Haku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see some fans of the show. I am glad I stumbled to this anime. It has grown on me a lot. I did not notice that change but I will have to watch the episode over again to compare. Pleroma, I think this anime could do about 50 episodes. I don't mind it being 26 episodes.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:51 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
If ever I found myself in a fantasy world I would make it my life's work to hunt down and kill every silver haired male in the land as they are ALWAYS the evil masterminds.

There's a problem with your thesis, and that's InuYasha, Saiunkoku Monogatari, "technically" Kaleidostar (the guy's kinda bad at first, but he comes around), and some other animes I can't get off the top of my head.

As for the episode count, we gotta remember, it was something done by Leaf, so we're lucky it's not only 13 like almost every other h-game turned anime by Aquaplus. As for 50 episodes, I'm not too sure about that. You gotta think about what'll happen after the war, another war? If it went to 50 eps I think it would have a lot of things off of the main plot, i.e. a lot of fillers.

On that note I'm glad they're remaking Kanon, it did seem kind of rushed :O.
Pinstrike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote
Looks like this anime grew on some people. I liked it from the beginning.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
Well, it's my belief that anything produced by Aquaplus that's based off of a game from their Leaf divison will be good. With titles such as Comic Party, Comic Party Revolution, To Heart, To Heart 2, Air, Kanon, and now Utawarerumono to back this up, we can assume the next big h-game from Leaf will be made into an anime and, of course, be rated just as high if not better than these.
free2slap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I'm having fun following it do wish it went on for longer than 26 episodes. Hell when Goodkind and Jordan are still whoring out their poor stories into the double digit volumes, why not give Utawarerumono at least 50-ish?

if it goes beyond 26 episodes then i wont even need to watch the rest because nobody really wants to see a motion that repeatedly revolves in fighting in each episodes. and it's obvious people will tire themselves out of it. which what falls when it comes to DBZ but not really comparing the two show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5