• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think about Argento Soma?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:08 am Reply with quote
Well, i've been looking around on certain sites and this anime looks pretty.. odd. I really have no clue what it is about but I seen some of the DVDs at stores. I might want to get into it but I want to see what anyone else thinks about this anime. What is it about? Is it mecha?

Last edited by Kyo on Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Why dont you check the the ANN review
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Newtype USA had an article on it a while back. Might have been multiple articles, actually. hmmm Confused
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I love that series (yes, it's a mecha show). It takes a while to get started, but once I got hooked I had to watch the whole series straight through. I may be opening a can of worms here, but for me this series is what Evangelion *could* have been. Angst without being whiny, symbolism without being meaningless, deep plot without being needlessly confusing, a theme that's not just a facade, characters that you can empathize with... and the designs rock. The military vehicles look sleek and cool, the characters are stylized in a way that really fits with the tone of the show, the asymmetric shape of Frank is just plain cool and monstrous. The alien designs are pretty cool and sleek too. Even though people have complained that it's a simplistic design and that all the aliens look the same, well:
1) the sleek look of the aliens is a perfect contract for the misshapen look of Frank
2) why wouldn't they look the same? Would it make sense if they all looked different? That's just the monster of the week formula.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
2) why wouldn't they look the same? Would it make sense if they all looked different? That's just the monster of the week formula.

I'm glad you said that, I don't know why people think that only humans look alike and expect everything else to look different. Maybe if we're dealing with the animals of their planet then they should be differen't, but from what I understand we're dealing with a dominant race of some sort. If you want monster of the week formulas then watch Eva, if you want something more realistic and meaningful then watch Argento Sama.

Funny, it takes a lot of orginality to make everything the same. heh.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
android00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:21 am Reply with quote
I actually like it!My bro has the 1st dvd. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1