• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Art

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don'tlookbehindyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone I'm trying my hand at drawing anime but unfortunatly my skills are some what lacking:cry:. I don't have anyway to scan it into the computer so I can't really show you misguided attempts(Thankfully Anime smile + sweatdrop ).

So I've decided to go to the public for help if you know any good how to books, good artwork or anime I can watch to get a feel for how to draw it, yur own art work for comparision, or even just some helpful advice I would really appreciate it.

Thank You Everyone Gives humble bow[/i]
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Well there are a couple of things you can do. First of all, you need to take life drawing classes. You can go to a local community college for this or check online, as there are usually general life drawing sessions around town (and everyone usually pitches in a few bucks for the model). Before you take on big eyes and spikey hair you gotta have an intimate knowledge of the human figure, both male and female.

Secondly, and some may disagree with me on this one, is buy artbooks (just a few of a particular artist/s style you'd like to emulate, personally I want to eventually be able to draw women on Oh! Great's level) and trace. I've talked to people who have said tracing really screwed them, but it's helped me and my brother immensley. My brother is aiming to be a tatoo artist, and the guy who he wants to take an apprenticship under told him that what he needed to do was buy 2 particular artbooks and just trace until his hand fell off. It's how he got good (and the guy does fabulous work). Anyway in a matter of months my brother is able to not only copy but create original work freehand. It's quite impressive, and he's still improving. Anyway I took the same advice and it's helped me out as well. You learn a lot of things by tracing. However, don't make the mistake of just drawing whatever line you feel like. You gotta have structure and discipline with how you draw. So, you should always start with the head and basically work your way down. It's a good habit to have because it helps you nail proportion (which is vital in life drawing). Not only that but tracing also helps you get a feel for more unique positions of the human body.

And lastly, and this goes without saying, you gotta practice practice practice. Just as an idea, each day you oughta do roughly one hour of tracing and one hour of freehand. If you want to get good at something you can never practice too much.
wanirose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree with TranceLimit174. First you do have to have an understanding of the body, and how to draw the body for males and females. I have taken a short class on that and it has helped out with my proportions dramatically. Then once you have the bigger shapes down you can then start to work on your detail.

As TranceLimit174 said:
Quote:
You learn a lot of things by tracing. However, don't make the mistake of just drawing whatever line you feel like. You gotta have structure and discipline with how you draw.

I agree with half of this. Yes, tracing does help you with the proportion of the body, but I don't think that this is should be done to much. I believe that once you have done the basics from tracing, you then have to create your own style. As seen in many different anime series, each author has their own styles that sets them apart from the rest. So once you have the body down, you could try copy a figure like Kenshin (all I could think of at this moment) but add your own style to it.

I have found out that this method does help. I haven't done to much tracing but a lot of copying different positions and characters. But the most basic thing to this is that everyone has their own way of learning how to draw. I have friends that trained by themselves for years and have become excellent at drawing, and others went to camps and learned from others tequinches. Lastly, you should be hard and disciplined on yourself but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't come to you right away. Everything takes time and then eventually all you hard work will pay off.

Good Luck!!!!
don'tlookbehindyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips you two I'll see if any community colleges are offering any classes right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1