• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Classics line

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone know what the packaging is like? I remember before that they said the packaging were going to be steel books, which would be pretty cool IMO. But then they said it was not finalized.

Just wondering if anyone bought a set and know.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
No one has a Classic yet because the first to be released, Gantz, hasn't been yet. However, it seems like every other show set to be released on the 25th (like Gantz), has been shipped out already, so this should be soon as well, meaning people who preordered from TRSI will be receiving it early. Personally, I hope they're digipaks like Durarara or Death Note (no overlapping discs) since steelbooks are a nuisance with more than one disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I love the steel book case design from the outside, but he inside is horrible. If they did it plastic on the inside like normal dvd cases and steel on the outside, that would be best IMO.
Kags_the_Great

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how all the series Funimation has announced they are going to release under their "classics" line aren't even 5 years old.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
@ Kags_the-Great - Haven't you ever heard the expression, "An Instant Classic!"? Wink
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Kags_the_Great wrote:
It's funny how all the series Funimation has announced they are going to release under their "classics" line aren't even 5 years old.

Argentosoma is like the most forgettable show ever. But alas, to The Man, it's an "anime legend." Wink

Case in point, if it prints money, they can call it whatever they want.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kags_the_Great wrote:
What the hell are you talkin' about? TKoH just mentioned Gantz in this very topic, and that series itself is already more than 5 years old.

Aside from Gantz, Gunslinger Girl, Samurai Champloo, Noir, Excel Saga, FLCL, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Gungrave are all more than 5 years old. I mean, do you even know what series they plan on releasing this line? The only ones I know of are the ones that TRSI already has up for pre-order(here: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/=Q65Haw1c=ytAJdZF8/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1), and the vast majority of them are more than 5 years old.

John Casey wrote:
Argentosoma is like the most forgettable show ever. But alas, to The Man, it's an "anime legend." Wink

Case in point, if it prints money, they can call it whatever they want.
But I think that FUNimation's Classic Line is doing a helluva lot better than the AL line in picking titles that deserve to be classics.

Anyway, TC, I'm also extremely excited to see what their packaging is gonna be. Since I pre-ordered the first Classics Line release yesterday from RightStuf(Gantz), I'll hopefully be getting it soon and I'll let anybody know what's up(assuming somebody doesn't beat me to the punch).

As a relatively new anime collector, though, I don't know what the troubles of steel books are, so I'd really like Gantz to be one of those just for I can try it out. Smile
Zeguna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Right now, Samurai Champloo and Gungrave are the only ones I'm interested in, but if they're steelbooks or digipaks, I'll be buying the earlier thinpack releases.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well I just preorded Darker Than Black season one from the classic line and didn;t that series come out just a few years ago? Anyways its just an excuse for me to pick up a newer version of the series that I forgot to pickup in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zeguna wrote:
Right now, Samurai Champloo and Gungrave are the only ones I'm interested in, but if they're steelbooks or digipaks, I'll be buying the earlier thinpack releases.

If you are talking about the SC and Gungrave thinpacks Funimation initially distributed, I just have to tell you that they have terrible packaging. A flimsy cardboard box is not a good idea for 7 thinpack cases. My Gungrave has lost any rigidity (is this a word?) it had (which was not much). It actually can't stand up on it's own. God I hate this flimsy thinpacks pieces of shit. Anime hyper
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Well I just preorded Darker Than Black season one from the classic line and didn;t that series come out just a few years ago?

Funimation has said that the last release for any series is going to be either as part of the SAVE line or the classic line so I guess that everything that sold well the first time around is going to be in the classic line, regardless of how old/young it is.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Well I just preorded Darker Than Black season one from the classic line and didn;t that series come out just a few years ago?

Funimation has said that the last release for any series is going to be either as part of the SAVE line or the classic line so I guess that everything that sold well the first time around is going to be in the classic line, regardless of how old/young it is.
Yeah, they say that sales, fan following(as well as looking at the actually quality of the series, regardless of that being subjective) contributes to what becomes a Classic Line or becomes a S.A.V.E. title.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well I just preorded Darker Than Black season one from the classic line and didn;t that series come out just a few years ago? Anyways its just an excuse for me to pick up a newer version of the series that I forgot to pickup in the first place.

It doesnt matter. More people just need to pick up Darker than Black. Awesome series. The second series, not so much, but Im going to get it for completeness sake AND for hope they will do a new DtB and actually make it good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1