• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament: Nominations-Minigame

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Some characters in anime - whether heroes or villains - just have something going for them that others don't, some combination of intrinsic quality and demonstrated action which causes other characters (and viewers) to respect, admire, and want to emulate and hang out with that character. In whatever they do, they have style and/or class that is a step well beyond the norm. They could be suave ladies' men who can manipulate the heartstrings of the ladies around them like a maestro playing a harp, bad-ass action figures who combined puissant combat prowess with indomitable attitude, dashing heroes/heroines who win the hearts of the opposite sex with their daring deeds, or the laid-back character who always has her act together and isn't fazed by anything. These are the Coolest Characters in anime.

NOTE: The rules for the minigame can be found here.

NOTE #2: The bracket showing the full pairings (and other updates) can be found here.

Eligibility Standards
All of our forum tournaments have a certain element of subjectiveness to them, but this one may have more than most. For that reason, I ask that voters and nominators carefully consider each character's qualifications rather than just nominating someone who seems cool at first impression. Each candidate must meet at least two of the following criteria, with the strongest candidates having three and being that way consistently over the course of his/her title:

1. Should have a distinctive sense of style and/or class.
2. Should be respected, admired, and/or adored by other characters.
3. If a Bad-Ass, should be a combination of impressively powerful/skilled, tough, brave, and full of attitude.
4. If not a Bad-Ass, must have some other aspect typically associated with being cool (e.g. popular and effective with members of the opposite sex, not easily fazed or agitated, gallant, etc.)

Also - and this is an important change from past tournaments - this time around, to assure that the tournament isn't dominated by a single character type, the field will be divided into Bad-Ass and General Cool sections. Most likely this will mean 64 candidates of each type, with two Groups for each, but I may adjust that depending on how much we're struggling (or not) to fill up the non-Bad-Ass side.

Nomination Standards
1. Any forum member in good standing (i.e. not currently banned) may nominate, vote for, and/or vote against any number of candidates.
2. Each nomination or vote in favor scores one point. Each vote against scores -1 point. Top 64 scorers in each of the Bad-Ass and General Cool categories make the tournament, with negative votes used as tiebreakers. (High scores may also be used to help determine seeds for the bracket, but that is not a transparent process.)
3. A list of active candidates and their scores will be updated on this post at least once per day. Candidates with a score of 0 on an update will be moved to the Cut List if their scores have not improved in 24 hours; candidates in this condition will be shown in red. Candidates with a negative score on any update will automatically be moved to the Cut List and won’t return to the active list until they get a positive score.
4. A voter/nominator must state “Nominate,” “Vote For” or “Vote Against” (as appropriate) in bold when taking any of these actions or the vote/nomination will not be counted. Using one of these as a heading before listing multiple votes of the same type is acceptable.
5. Every nomination must be accompanied by a write-up (see below) and a link to a picture for that character or that nomination is not considered valid. Also, for this tournament, every nominee must be specifically identified as being Bad-Ass or General Cool.
6. Votes in favor can be justified but don't have to be. Votes against must be justified or they will not be counted.
7. Nominations and voting will continue for ten days (i.e. through the end of Dec. 20th) or until 64 candidates in each category have multiple positive votes, whichever comes first.
8. No more than three characters from the same title/franchise can make the cut, so be selective in picking only the strongest possible choices from a particular series, movie, or franchise. This rule may be restricted further if it seems like a small number of series are dominating the nominations.
9. Only series which have had at least one full season (typically 12-13 eps) released, or movies or OVAs which have been released in their entirety, by the end of 2010 are eligible for consideration. (Yes, that means that series from the Fall 2010 season are eligible.)

Write-Up
Requiring this last time was both a massive time-saver for me and simplified organization for Guide entries, so this will continue as last time. (For those new to these tournaments, each character will have a write-up to assist those who may not be familiar with certain participants. An example of one from our Best Supporting Character tournament can be seen here.) Each write-up must include the following:

1. Character's proper name in English order, plus any commonly-used nickname;
2. The source title/franchise, and what series/movies within that franchise the character does appear in if it isn't all of them (use the official or commonly-accepted English title here if one exists);
3. An identification of the character as Bad-Ass or General Cool (other classifying comments may optionally be included);
4. A 1-2 paragraph description of what makes the character cool (please minimize spoilers here and do not use spoiler tags);
5. A link to a .jpg format picture which either shows the character solo or has the character isolated from a crowd/pairing.

Two examples of the format expected are given below; these should also be considered official nominations. Please adhere as closely as possible to the formatting style shown, including the capitalization standards.

Quote:
Dark Schneider, Bastard!! pic*
Type of Cool: Bad-Ass
Why He's Cool: As the most powerful and manly-beautiful sorcerer in his fantasy setting, Dark Schneider's arrogance knows no bounds, but he has the skill, power, and seductive looks to back it up. This is a man who can defeat a fire spirit with fire magic, seemingly get destroyed only to come back because he concentrated his essence in an arm which got blown off earlier, and win over into his service people intent on killing him. He also holds an almost irresistible charm for the ladies and will go to jaw-dropping extremes to protect/save women he cares about. While be may be every ounce the bastard referenced in the title, his style, attitude, and ability well more than make up for that.

*-This is the pic I happen to have on file for him. I will find a better one for his official Guide entry.

Akira Takizawa, Eden of the East pic
Type of Cool: General Cool, Dashing Charmer
Why He's Cool: Despite starting the series with no memories (and no clothes!), Akira (which may or may not be his real name, but it's the identity he assumes) doesn't freak out, instead maintaining a cool, cheery composure as he attempts to sort out why he erased his own memories and how he fits into the scheme of things as a Selecao. His natural charm is almost irresistible, drawing co-star Saki to him and quickly winning over most other people he meets. He is an easily-likable character with an unusually strong screen presence for an ordinary-looking guy.

Let the nominations and voting begin!

Final Participant List (as of 3:20 a.m. EST 12/242/10)
Akira Tokizawa, Eden of the East, GC
Alberto, Giant Robo, BA
Allen Schezar, Escaflowne franchise, GC
Alucard, Hellsing franchise, BA
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!, GC
Amon, Witch Hunter Robin, GC
Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise, GC
Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika, GC
Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask, GC
Balalaika, Blue Lagoon, BA
Balsa, Moribito, BA
Batou, GITS franchise, BA
Black, Tekkonkinkreet, BA
Black Jack, Black Jack, BA
Brandon/Beyond the Grave, Gungrave, BA
C.C., Code Geass, GC
Captain Harlock, various, BA
Celty Sturluson, Durarara!!, BA
Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam, Either
Chouji Suitengu, Speed Grapher, Either
Claire Stanfield, Baccano!, BA
Cobra, Space Adventure Cobra, BA
D , Vampire Hunter D (both), Either
Dark Schneider, Bastard!!, BA
Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara, BA
Deunan Knute, Appleseed franchise, BA
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half, GC
Duke Togo, Golgo 13, BA
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO, BA
Erin, Beast Player Erin, GC
Faye Valentine, Cowboy Bebop, GC
Fee Carmichal, Planetes, GC
Firo Prochainezo, Baccano!, BA
Gene Starwind, Outlaw Star, BA
Genkai, Yu Yu Hakusho, BA
Gennosuke Kouga, Basilisk, Either
George Koizimi, Paradise Kiss, GC
Ginko, Mushi-Shi, GC
Guts, Berserk, BA
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL, BA
Hei, Darker Than BLACK, BA
Hideo Kuze, GITS franchise, BA
Hitagi Senjourgahara, Bakemonogatari, GC
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With. . ., Either
Ichiro Miyata, Fighting Spirit, GC
Izumi Curtis, FMA, BA
Jin, Samurai Champloo, BA
Johannes Krauzer II/Soichi , Detroit Metal City, BA
Kakashi Hatake, Naruto franchise, GC
Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld, Code Geass, BA
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7, BA
Kamina, Gurren Lagann, BA
Kanako Watanabe, Star Driver, GC
Kazuma, sCRYed, BA
Ken Washio The Eagle, Science NT Gatchaman, Either
Kenji Harima, School Rumble, GC
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach, BA
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin, BA
Kenshiro, Fist of the North Star, BA
Kino, Kino's Journey, GC
Kirika Yumura, Noir, BA
Kisuke Urahara, Bleach, GC
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho, GC
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach, GC
Kyouya Ootari, Ouran HS Host Club, GC
Kyuzo, Samurai 7, BA
Ladd Russo, Baccano!, BA
Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke, GC
Lelouche Lamperouge, Code Geass, GC
Letopanyu Spoor, Crest/Banner of the Stars, GC
Lucy, Elfen Lied, BA
Maka Albarn, Soul Eater, BA
Marco Pagot/Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso, GC
Master Asia/Tohofuhai, Mobile Fighter G Gundam, BA
Maximilen Jenius, SDF Macross, Either
Medicine Seller, Ayakashi, Mononoke, GC
Michiko Malandro, Michiko e Hatchin, BA
Mikura Suzuki, Mezzo DSA, Mezzo Forte, BA
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir, BA
Motoko Kusanagi, GITS, BA
Mugen, Samurai Champloo, BA
Nana Osaki, NANA, GC
Nanashi, Sword of the Stranger, BA
Nanoha Takemachi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, BA
Naomi Armitage, Armitage III franchise, BA
Nicolas Wolfwood, Trigun, GC
Nov. 11, Darker Than BLACK, GC
Oscar Francois de Jarjayes, Rose of Versailles, GC
Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, GC
Reki, Haibane Renmei, GC
Revy, Black Lagoon, BA
Rin Tohsaka, Fate/Stay Night, GC
Roger Smith, The Big 0, GC
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece, BA
Roy Focker, SDF Macross, GC
Roy Mustang, FMA franchise, BA
Ryoji Kaji, NGE, GC
Saber, Fate/Stay Night, BA
Saeko Busujima, High School of the Dead, BA
Sai Jounouchi, Angelic Layer, GC
Sawa, Kite, BA
Scar, FMA, FMA Brotherhood, BA
Sebastian Michaelis, Black Butler, GC
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise, Either
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari, BA
Shigure Sohma, Fruits Basket, GC
Shiki Ryougi, Kara no KyoKai, BA
Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!!, BA
Simon, Gurren Lagann, BA
Soldier Blue, Towards the Terra franchise, GC
Sophie Forrester, Last Exile, GC
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop, Either
Suzuka, Outlaw Star, BA
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton, GC
Taisou, Giant Robo, BA
Takuto Tsunashi, Star Driver, GC
Teresa, Claymore, BA
The Count, Gankutsuou, GC
Tomari Kurusu, Kasimasi ~Girl Meets Girl~, GC
Toshio Oozaki, Shiki, BA
Triela, Gunslinger Girl, BA
Tsume, Wolf's Rain, BA
Twenty Faces, The Daughter of Twenty Faces, GC
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena, GC
Xellos, Slayers Next, Try, BA
Yang Wen Li, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, GC
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game, GC
Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic, Tsubasa: RC, GC

Bad-Ass (BA) Count: 66
General Cool (GC) Count: 53
Either Count: 9
Total Candidates: 128

Cut List
Airs Blue, Infinite Ryvius
Chirin, Ringing Bell
Cleo Corbielle, Glass Fleet
Count D, Pet Shop of Horrors
Gorobei Katayama, Samurai 7
Haruhi Fujioka, Ouran HS Host Club
Jack Vesalius, Pandora Hearts
JP, Redline
Kanbuto Kouji, Mazinger Z
Masaomi Kida, Durarara!!
Nabeshin, Excel Saga
Nagi, Kannagi
Priss Asagiri, BGC 2040
Rinrin, Koihime Musou
Riza Hawkeye, FMA
Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo franchise
Sachiko Ogasawara, Maria Watches Over Us
Sheryl Nome, Macross Frontier
Shun Mitaka, Maison Ikokku
Soul Evans, Soul Eater
Suzaku Kururugi, Code Geass
Taiga Asaka, Toradora!
Tamaki Kawazoe, Bamboo Blade
Tony, Towards the Terra franchise
Toushiro Hitsugaya, Bleach
Vegeto, DBZ
Yoko Nakajima, Twelve Kingdoms
Zolf Kimblee, FMA Brotherhood

Last edited by Key on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 am; edited 15 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Nominating
Erin, The Beast Player Erin pic
Type of Cool: General Cool, Prodigy
Why she's cool:Her charm lies in her calm and collected attitude. Being quick on the uptake, Erin makes Joun, who quiclkly realise she is intelligent, teach her about breeding, other people are surprised by her extensive knowledge. Her compassion allows her to get close to animals and people. She achieves a lot despite racial discrimination, her mother was of the Mist People and people believe that she succeeded because of the Mist People's tricks. When she is involved in political struggles, she tries not to act contrary to her beliefs.

Reinhard von Lohengramm Legend of the Galactic Heros pic
Type of Cool: General Cool, Strategist
Why he's cool: Being a nonpareil strategist and a charismatic person, Reinhard is universally respected among the soldiers and civilians of his country, even some enemies respect him, as they understand he is a gifted individual. Courageous, ambitious and tenacious, he gets promoted at a rapid rate, and eventually becomes a ruler in spite of obstacles put by his enemies in hope that they will kill or at least hinder him.

Jack Vessalius Pandora Hearts pic
Type of Cool: General Cool, Mysterious Hero
Why he's cool: Jack is a well-known and respected hero from 100 years ago. His cheerful and pleasnt personality draws the main heroine, Alice, to him. He saves Oz, the main hero, when he, Oz, is in difficult situations and helps him to save Alice in Cheshire Cat's dimension. Whenever he appears, crucial information is revealed.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Nominations are only going through the 20th? Might I suggest perhaps extending this if necessary, a lot of us are going through or are about to go through fall semester finals and might not be able to find the time this upcoming week to do nominations.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Seconding Akira Takizawa of Eden of the East. Anyone who can talk a complete stranger out of his pants in a matter of seconds after meeting them has got to be a smooth operator.
Opera Floozy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Nanoha Takamachi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha pic
Type of Cool: Badass
Why She's Cool: Nanoha first saw deployment during the Jewel Seed incident. She quickly proved highly effective against these units. However, once the enemy fielded the more experience Fate, Nanoha was outmatch. She received an upgrade through grueling training and managed to beat Fate, starting her career of befriending girls through superior firepower. Nanoha received another upgrade during the Book of Darkness incident. It is here that she stepped through fire to befriend another girl of apparently her age in the same way as she did fate, thus earning her the nickname "the white devil."

Triela, Gunslinger Girl pic
Why She's Cool: As one of the older anti-terrorist weapon prototypes, Triela is the most level headed and competent of the girls. With a preference for her shotgun, she is constantly at the forefront of the skirmishes. Triela is highly adept at hand-to-hand combat, being trained by the military elite with both knives and fists. With no signs of wearing out, she will be a terror to the Italian terrorists for the indefinite future.

Rinrin, Koihime Musou pic
Why She's Cool: At the Battle of Touka Village, the exhausted and sick Rinrin rode out alone on the Touka Village Bridge to hold off the pursuing army of bandits. He glared and pointed his spear, shouting, "I am Rinrin of the Rinrin Bandits, and anyone can come and challenge me to fight to the death," which was so powerful that it was said to have frightened and held off 10,000 bandits. Several leaders even fell off their horses and died. None of the bandit army dared to proceed and even upon the arrival of the bandit boss himself they were still wavering.

Last edited by Opera Floozy on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATE
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop (TV), Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (movie) pic
Type of Cool:General Cool
Why He's Cool:This guy definitely straddles the fence: On the one hand, he was able to take out a vicious antagonist and always comes out on top of any engagement that he continues (even if he does sometimes get severely battered because of his hard-headedness); but (but, BUT!) this is the same dude who, in the middle of a shoot-out in the middle of a bar, will take a partially-made drink that was made by a now-dead bar tender and critique it: "Too much vermouth." That, there, is a combination of bad-assery and laid-back coolness.

So why am I going with Generally Cool? Because (in my opinion, at least) Spike is the very apotheosis personification of a soundtrack that is in itself the very apotheosis personification of coolness. Just listening to it makes me want to go to a bar and light a cigarette; and I'm neither a drinker nor a smoker!

Last edited by nobahn on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Astro Boy, Astro Boy pic
Type: General cool
Why He's cool: He's a super powered robot with seven varying super powers. He often has a machine gun coming out of his rear end. He beats up bad guys, can stop a satellite from crashing into the Earth, and be a general inspiration for fans of every generation. His super strength might make him badass, however, his attitude about using them and his interactions with other characters lend him to be more on the general cool side.

Black Jack, Black Jack pic
Type: Badass
Why He's cool: Ok, I'm really hoping someone who has seen the anime and not just read the manga here can help me on this one, but his list of badassery is long: operates to remove a parasite from his own intestines in the middle of the Australian outback while surrounded by ravenous dingoes, operating in the dark, and removes a parasitic twin then fashions the removed twin into her own body (thus creating Pinoko). Every volume is just Black Jack operating in more badass conditions.

Eikichi Onizuka, Great Teacher Onizuka pic
Why He's cool: Onizuka goes to great lengths for his students to help them with problems in their life. He also leads a gang on the side and feels free to employee them in teaching some of his more stubborn students a lesson. He will also fight through having seen shot or severely wounded for the sake of his students and sometimes because he's a bit of a brainless badass.

Cleo Corbielle, Glass Fleet pic
Why He's cool: Cleo leads the glass battleship in the series with a carefully picked crew of incredibly talented people on the run. He's an expert sword fighter and serves as an inspirational hope to the People's Army fighting against the aristocracy in the series. He is ruthless to his enemies but defends anything he's decided to keep to the very end. He also engages in piracy with his glass battleship.

Alberto, Giant Robo pic
Why He's cool: Suave, cool, smokes a badass cigar and wears a badass eyepatch device, Alberto is one of the top guys of the evil group of the show Big Fire. Single handedly he is able to hold off the near equally badass forces of the International Police Organization (IPO) and their incredible group of fighters. He attacks using electricity.

Taisou, Giant Robo pic
Why He's cool: The man who caused Alberto to lose his eye, Taisou is also an excellent fighter who makes use of breathing fire (with the aid of sake) and other incredible fighting moves. He is also inspirational to other International Police Organization members.

Kino, Kino's Journey pic
Type: General Cool
Why She's cool: Kino is a traveler who will never stay in more than one place for three days. She also has great skill with a pistol, but her fearless attitude in the face of any situation is what really makes her cool.

Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton pic
Type: General Cool
Why He's cool: Brains are certainly one of his cooler aspects, but it's also how he uses his brains and his resourcefulness to come out of any situation alive and well. Hostage situations, bomb threats, stuck out in the desert, he can get through any of them. This is the type of man whose sheer brilliance garners a type of respect you wouldn't rarely give out.

Gene Starwind, Outlaw Star pic
Why He's cool: Owner of the spaceship the Outlaw Star, Gene and his crew often have to take on dangerous missions just to keep themselves and the massively expensive ship fueled. Gene's favorite weapon is the caster gun (as seen in the picture), a gun that uses magic infused bullets. However, the Outlaw Star also attracts many dangerous pirates and official government agencies that Gene fights off with his skills with guns and with the unique grappler arms on his spaceship during space combat.

Suzuka, Outlaw Star pic
Why She's cool: A member of Gene's crew aboard the Outlaw Star, "Twilight" Suzuka is an ultra class A assassin who uses a simple wooden sword capable of slicing an oncoming fully loaded semi truck in half due to the way she harness her skill and energy. When the Outlaw Star stops for a refueling somewhere, Suzuka often goes off on her own to find and capture the man with the biggest bounty on his head in the area with seemingly little effort. Her skill with the sword is unmatched and even at close range she can easily stop a barrage on oncoming bullets.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm seconding Suzuka from Outlaw Star and Kino from Kino's Journey. These characters definitely impressed me when I saw their respective series. Kino's stoicism and gun play is a fearsome sight; Suzuka's sword skill lead to some great "wow" moments.
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Nomination: Guts from Berserk
Why he's Badass: He wields a sword named "Dragonslayer" that's twice as large as he is. He cut off his own arm to save his woman, and now uses said arm's metallic replacement as a dual repeating crossbow/cannon. He can't sleep at night because he is mercilessly pursued by demons after dusk. He even goes toe-to-toe with "immortal" demons and beats them (even after losing an eye). He's fought so many battles that his entire body is consumed by scar tissue and has almost no unscratched skin.
Respect: During his tenure as a commander in the Band of the Hawk he was well respected by all of the soldiers, second only to the leader Griffith.

http://images.absoluteanime.com/berserk/guts.jpg

[EDIT: This picture is not acceptable because it is from the manga and not the anime. - Key]

Sorry about that, I found a good one from the anime.

Last edited by Scormio on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
This competition reminded me of the main reason why I love anime – the female characters are so cool. Here are the first four of my favourites.

Mireille Bouquet
, Noir pic
Type of Cool: Bad-ass, Queen of Kuudere
Why She’s Cool: Mireille lives in a groovy garret in the centre of Paris, flits around on her motorised scooter shopping and cafeing, flies off to Tokyo, New York, Vienna, St Petersburg, the Middle East or Sicily on a whim and is the heir to a fallen Corsican crime syndicate. Just don’t get between her and her next contract. Mireille is so cool she verges on frosty, practically defining the term kuudere.

Atsuko Chiba / Paprika, Paprika pic
Type of Cool: General Cool, Dream Queen
Why She’s Cool: Awake, and as Dr Chiba, she is cool, totally in control and the smartest and clueyest scientist at the research academy. But don’t be fooled by her icy exterior. Asleep she becomes Paprika, entering your dreams to solve all your problems and bring some weirdness at the same time. Paprika is savvy, sexy and fearless. Dream terrorists are no match for her infectious zest.

Rin Tohsaka, Fate / Stay Night pic 1 pic 2: "Do it, Rin, do it!" pic 3
Type of Cool: General Cool, Goddess of the Zettai Ryouiki
Why She’s Cool: Rin Tohsaka is Harry Potter’s Hermione with more smarts, less nerdishness and a droll, sardonic sense of humour. The series would be lost without her: by half way she is the only one with any clue about what's going on. Mind you, she did commit the almost unforgivable sin in episode 2 of resuscitating Shirou Emiya, the hero that no-one could possibly like. Rin is the smartest, most admired student in her school and, despite her best efforts at being evil (dare I say, bad-ass) her true nature wins through.

Zettai Ryouiki? The Zone of Absolute Terror, that space between the top of thigh-high socks and the hem of a skirt.

Faye Valentine, Cowboy Bebop pic
Type of Cool: General Cool
Why She’s Cool: Although I suspect Spike Spiegel is going to walk away with this competition, who would you rather spend an evening at the opera with? Just make sure Vicious isn't waiting for you in the box, though. Faye is sassy and smart, with her own agenda and is much craftier than Spike in trying to achieve that agenda. Able to wheedle her way out of many situations, you know she’ll be a survivor even if she is too often the victim of her own misguided actions.

By the way, I'm also voting for Spike Spiegel.

Last edited by Errinundra on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:44 pm; edited 10 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
VOTE FOR:
  • Rin Tohsaka ("Fate/Stay Night")
  • Faye Valentine ("Cowboy Bebop")
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Next four:

Kirika Yumura, Noir pic 1 pic 2 pic 3
Type of Cool: Bad-ass, Death is a Softly Spoken Schoolgirl
Why She’s Cool: Using only a weapon where you can kill one person at a time, is there anywhere in TV a character with a higher kill count per episode? She's not only deadly with a Beretta, her resourcefulness with ties (for breaking necks), eye-glass frames (stabbing) popcorn (has to be seen to be believed), ID cards (cutting throats), forks (stabbing), toy bus axles (more stabbing) make her the ultimate killer. And when the bullets fly she is utterly nerveless. Yet, Kirika is a schoolgirl who can turn on the most frighteningly moe expressions. The scene on the steps of the Chinese temple is the epitome of killer coolness.

Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke pic
Type of Cool: General Cool
Why She’s Cool: Even though she’s not afraid to kill a god, Lady Eboshi looks after prostitutes and lepers. She has the wit and tenacity to create a city in the wildnerness and then defend it against warlords and wolf-girls. And, all the while, she has a flamboyant style unmatched by any other character in the film.

Izumi Curtis, Full Metal Alchemist pic
Type of Cool: Bad-ass
Why She’s Cool: Izumi is not just a mentor for Ed and Al, she frightens the very bejeesus out of them. Despite lacking guts literally she is the most single-mindedly courageous person in the first series (I haven’t seen Brotherhood). Quirky and wilful, she steals every scene she appears in.

Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise pic
Type of Cool: Bad-ass
Why She’s Cool: Is there anything this woman (machine?) cannot do? She’s smarter, stronger, deadlier, more resourceful than anyone around her. And she does it all with her legendary style. The “Major” is the thinking man’s superhero.

Last edited by Errinundra on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Vote For
Reinhard von Lohengramm Legend of the Galactic Heros
Kino, Kino's Journey
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
JP; Redline Picture
Why he's Badass: JP is driver hell bent on entering Redline, the galaxy's fastest and most deadly race. There are no rules for this race and other drivers use crazy weapons and insane speed boosts in order to win. To make matters worse, Redline is being held on a planet that will do anything (releasing a gigantic bio-weapon) in order to stop the race from happening. Despite all of this, JP races without any weapons and with only his insane drive to win.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Some nominations for me:

Tsume, Wolf's Rain pic
Type of cool: Badass
Why he's cool: While he starts off a bit grating, once Tsume adjusts to his role as "beta wolf" in the pack he proves his badassness not just in his ability to destroy all enemies in his path but also has snarky comments about almost everything and just screams cool (belly shirt and all). This package comes complete with an appropriately angsty, guilt-ridden backstory.

George Koizumi, Paradise Kiss pic
Type of cool: General Cool, Ladies' Man, Potential Winner of Project Runway
Why he's cool: Not only can he basically talk anyone into anything but he'll make sure they look fabulous while doing it. A true fashion visionary, he also has the ability to make his creations reality (or get people to do it for him). He also makes ice blue hair look cool.

I will also vote for the following:
- Akira Takizawa
- Triela
- Spike Spiegel (I also agree with him being general cool rather than badass, mainly because of his style of fighting generally being so laidback it doesn't look like he's even trying)
- Faye Valentine
- Lady Eboshi (yes, I am voting for a Mononoke character. It's shocking, I know. But this character does leave an impression on me, unlike the rest of the movie's cast)

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21