• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your favorite "kids'" anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodspeed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:12 am Reply with quote
Of the anime considered to be for kids, which are your favorites?

Mine is a toss-up between Ronin Warriors and Digimon, the first two seasons.

Ronin Warriors is the first anime I really got into, it had great characters, and the classic good-vs.-evil storyline with a twist; spoiler[a couple of the bad guys ended up not so bad at the end]. Even though I haven't seen it in years I can still recall the Ronins calling upon their armor and special attacks, and one episode, "Torrent's Evil Twin" stands clearly in my memory.

The first two seasons of Digimon were crammed with imagination; the fantasy of the Digital World made almost anything possible. It was filled to the brim with creativity in the various Digimon and Digivolutions. It was also packed with memorable storylines.

Last edited by Goodspeed on Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:10 am Reply with quote
Right now? One Piece.

I liked Naruto back in Zabuza arc, though.. but then it just became a 1 on 1 tournament thing.

Full Metal Alchemist was nice for the first half, but then they got into alternate demensions and other bogus crap..

Here's hoping One Piece doesn't screw up down the road..
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
I liked Naruto back in Zabuza arc, though.. but then it just became a 1 on 1 tournament thing.

The tournament doesn't really last all that long and the series becomes much more story driven soon after that. If the idea of the tournament bothers you, but you truely enjoyed the series up to that point then you may want to skip right to the last episode of the tournament and restart from there.

Anyway, to answer the question it's Transformers for me, but the series is kinda touch and go in being anime or not depending on the series, but whatever. As far as actual undoubted anime goes, it's Digimon for me as well. It was such a different show at the time. Sure, there was Pokemon, but it was such a different creature really. Where Pokemon had characters going after several monsters and tournament battles, Digimon had characters bonding with only one monster in an attempt to save the world(s) and no tournaments. Not only did it feel more engaging, but it actually explained things much more thouroghly like where the Digimon came from why the exist. It even delt with death in its own way. It was a unique series that never seemed to talk down to its viewers, it was entertaining without being overly episodic.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:18 am Reply with quote
Definitely Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Some actually pretty great action sequences, a great fantasy world, and Pazu and Sheeta are two of the most likeable heroes I've seen so far in anime. This is one I can pull out for the younger cousins but also watch alone.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:52 am Reply with quote
Zoids Chaotic Century and Ronin Warriors. those are aswom.

Whats better than giant robot animils driven by humans in a distant planet called...."Z" fighting a war against other humans?

And ronin warriors.....samurai are just cool............
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm . . . tough choice but:

YU-Gi-Ooooooooohhh!!!!!!! Very Happy
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The first two or three seasons of Pokemon are still great to watch, whether you're a kid or not. (The "death at sea" part of an early first-season episode after they all get stranded on a raft is very funny.)

(It's only after the second season that it becomes a bit harder to watch, since things begin to rehash a lot. I don't know if kids stick around for it anymore...)

Pokemon the Movie 3 also still gets my nod as the best "kids" anime movie, also -- A Pokemon movie with a good self-contained story.
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really stuck between Shaman King and One Piece. Both are really good shows and are even good for a watch on the Fox Box as some of the americanized jokes come out pretty funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I love Dragon Ball Z. So shoot me like how Biggie shot Tupac Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
Well I love Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Cardcaptors, now I'm going to run away incase someone will make fun of me for the last one, oh yeah I can't wait for Mew Mew Power. *Runs away very fast*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Sekushi Cho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
Either Shaman King, because of Tao Ren and HoroHoro *Drool*, Pokemon, because of it's total control of my childhood, Sailor Moon, because of it's sorta spiritual, elemental touch, and Digimon. You don't want to know the reason behind Digimon. >.>;;;
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z. Of course, I'd probably like the original Dragon Ball more, but I haven't seen it all.

So yes, I like DBZ. Why? Because I grew up watching it, and as long and reptitive as it is, I still like it, subbed in Japanese or dubbed by Ocean Studios. I can't stand FUNi's new "dub."

Cliche characters, mindless charging, and intersting aspects on fighting and inner strength make this a worthwhile trip of nostalgia for me.
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
Onmyoji wrote:
I'm really stuck between Shaman King and One Piece. Both are really good shows and are even good for a watch on the Fox Box as some of the americanized jokes come out pretty funny.

Hey,I can understand that,Onmyoji.I find myself enjoying both shows myself.
Very Happy
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:10 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball...i watched that whole series on CN and i liked it. it wasn't as draged on as DBZ and the fights were quick, 1 or 2 episodes.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2