• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] This really makes me disgusted with this country

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:00 pm Reply with quote
It's just like what happened with the Japanese Americans during WWII. I really hate how just because they're of the same race as those who attacked the Twin Towers and such, people think every Muslim is a terrorist! "It's just a precaution" they say, mean while some OTHER terrorist group in Africa or Russia or something could be plotting something as we speak. (Keep in mind I'm just tossing stuff into the air here, no intended bigotry intended!)

But, que sera sera. I too am kind of sick of how this country has been acting since the attacks and everything. Unfortunatly, I mentioned that Guiliani wasn't a hero somewhere, and the attacks came from all over the place. Can't I have my opinion?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Technically, the people who hit the Twin Towers were mostly of Saudia Arabian descent, not Afghani, not Iraqi, not Iranian, and not even Syrian. Saudi Arabian. But because they have the oil, guess who we side with? Oh, and Giuliani was just in the right place at the right time. I'm surprised mroe New Yorkers weren't outraged at the fact that he looked the other way when his police force got out of hand.
~squeak.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:57 pm Reply with quote
According to this article, some of them were also arrested because they were wanted for crimes.

However, assuming that most of them were just overstaying their visas (but went willingly to the immigration offices), cold showers and crowded cells do sound a bit harsh treatment.

I'm kind of surprised how bluntly this thing has manifested itself. Sounds almost as if the authorities were caught with their pants down.

GATSU wrote:
This really makes me disgusted with this country

Hotaru wrote:
I too am kind of sick of how this country has been acting since the attacks and everything.

/me agrees partially. I am willing to give a benefit of doubt to the Americans because of 9/11, though I never expected them (the authorities) to go this far.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:50 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*

http://www.dubyadubyadubya.com
(i support/agree with the sentiments found in the above website)

PS: Is anyone else miffed at the whole Trent Lott thing?

If not... well, I've gotta bit of a rant that I need to let out.

*rant*

A simple comment Lott made during a happy occasion has now forced him to resign as republican leader. Whether or not he had the credentials to be leader of the republicans in the senate, I'm not sure.. but it wasn't his stance on politics that got him in trouble, it was an offhand comment made, attempting to celebrate the life of an old man.

The comment itself was made at a social gathering, nothing more, but the media whipped it into such a frenzy he had no alternative but to step down.

When the news reported the comments, I was under the impression that Lott was referring to the issues of today -- that is, terrorism and war... not the civil rights issues of years past.. but the media disagreed.

We live in an era where the media, even the news, is heavily biased, and fueled by their own political agendas. In this case, we can clearly see the liberal force they display.

Had no one reported on the comment made, Lott would still be in his position as Republican leader.. and let's not forget that Senator Byrd, a former KKK recruiter, is still in office.

Byrd's said some pretty nasty things, like last year on Fox News... and if you did hear that, you almost certainly didn't hear his meagerapology for it.

.. but since Byrd is a Democrat, and the Republicans didn't push the issue, Byrd is still a senator. Would the media have even mentioned if the Republicans had pushed the issue? Or would the media have played them as a bunch of whiney toddlers who have better things to do than argue over offhand comments?

Probably the latter, if at all. "We have terrorism to fight!" the news reports would say, "Not time for arguing over silly comments about politics 50 years ago!".

I could believe it. The media's half the reason why we "have" to go to war in the first place.. and I don't like it.

What's worse is that with all these mergers, there will soon be only one place to hear news, and any news sites outside of that one mega-news corp will be considered even less relevant than they are today.

And what's worse is... Fox News, CNN, ABC.. they're really all basically the same. You have to go outside of the US to get a less-biased view of internal US poltics.. like the BBC.

It just astounds me that such an offhand, non-specific comment, with NO political bearing, said in a jovial manner at a birthday party could be turned into such a powerful force that would push the man who spoke them out of his position.

*end rant*

Yes, Lott is still a senator. But it's still a step down from his position as republican leader.

It... just amazes me that something like that could happen. The resignation didn't come as unexpected.. but the fact that the process even got off the ground is amazing, and is a testament to the power the media holds in our everyday lives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know... David Frum has an interesting bit in the print version of National Review (which I read and agree with) points out that in 2001, there were only 554 "hate crimes" against Muslims reported to police in the United States compared to 1196 against Jews... I think America on the whole has been pretty damn tolerant considering the circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Cookie: "Whether or not he had the credentials to be leader of the republicans in the senate, I'm not sure.. but it wasn't his stance on politics that got him in trouble, it was an offhand comment made, attempting to celebrate the life of an old man."

Except the old man campaigned on a platform for segregation.

"The comment itself was made at a social gathering, nothing more, but the media whipped it into such a frenzy he had no alternative but to step down."

When you're in a position of power which affects other people's lives, you better be careful to separate your private life from your public life. (Or do we need to be reminded of the Lewinsky scandal? Yes I know it was just an excuse to try to nail him for Whitewater, but it was still wrong the way Clinton abused his power.)

"When the news reported the comments, I was under the impression that Lott was referring to the issues of today -- that is, terrorism and war... not the civil rights issues of years past.. but the media disagreed."

The fact that Lott has said that at least 3 times in his 20 years of political campaigning doesn't exactly make it look like it's just about terrorism.

"We live in an era where the media, even the news, is heavily biased, and fueled by their own political agendas. In this case, we can clearly see the liberal force they display."

Yeah, their coverage of the War on Terrorism is pretty liberal. :)

"Had no one reported on the comment made, Lott would still be in his position as Republican leader.. and let's not forget that Senator Byrd, a former KKK recruiter, is still in office."

And Bush's father was the reason for Hussein's rise to power, while Reagan was the reason we have Osama Bin Laden. Americans really have a short attention span when it comes to history.

"Byrd's said some pretty nasty things, like last year on Fox News... and if you did hear that, you almost certainly didn't hear his meagerapology for it."

Well Byrd was from the party which originally supported slavery. The problem is Republicans are just bad at hiding their intolerance. :) Personally though, I've been voting Green, because both parties are corrupt.

"What's worse is that with all these mergers, there will soon be only one place to hear news, and any news sites outside of that one mega-news corp will be considered even less relevant than they are today."

Yeah, they're fighting over whether to relax the old FCC standards which were instituted 13 years ago, about how many stations could be owned.

"And what's worse is... Fox News, CNN, ABC.. they're really all basically the same. You have to go outside of the US to get a less-biased view of internal US poltics.. like the BBC."

I recommend www.michaelmoore.com or www.thismodernworld.com myself.

Tenchi: "David Frum has an interesting bit in the print version of National Review (which I read and agree with) points out that in 2001, there were only 554 "hate crimes" against Muslims reported to police in the United States compared to 1196 against Jews... I think America on the whole has been pretty damn tolerant considering the circumstances."

You know, I'm Jewish, and I can't justify any hate crimes, regardless of race, religion or lifestyle. It's like saying, "Stalin killed more people than Hitler." You can't quantify morality like that.
Case

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Following the 9/11 attacks, President Bush told us that we were going to have to make sacrifices in order to proetct ourselves. When news like this crops up, I can't help but wonder if people really consciously registered and understood what he was saying.
Confused

If the articles I have seen are accurate, the only standard by which these people are being mistreated is the Democratic liberal standard - a standard under which a person can be impoverished and still subscribe to cable television.

Our government allowed these men to enter our country for a specific amount of time. They ignored that condition, overstayed their welcome, and now they are paying the consequences. By violating the conditions of their visas, these people have broken the laws of our land. They could have left when they were supposed to and avoided this whole mess. But they didn't, and now they're paying for it.

So they may well be locked up, crowded, and one or two of them may get hosed down for one reason or another. But they are still being fed, clothed, and housed as best the justice system can manage under their strain. And with a little bit of luck, they'll probably be home in a week and suffer no long-lasting effects. That's more than fair, if you ask me.

It really doesn't matter that some of them stayed under honorable circumstances. If someone gets caught stealing food because they can't afford it, they'll be punished regardless. If someone kills a man for kidnapping their daughter, that person will still go to jail. If you've broken the law, you've broken the law. Excuses don't change that. Being morally justified is not the same as being legally justified.

As for the fact that these people are of Middle-Eastern descent... I think that's really not relevant. People scream racism like our government is purely interested in hurting Middle Easterners as much as possible, and that's simply not the case. It's not like we're rounding up innocent civillians. We're investigating suspicious persons.

As much as many of us would like to forget about it, there are still a number of Middle-Eastern organizations openly threatening our country and citizens. These organizations tend to act through agents who blend into the crowd. Unless we keep an eye out for people who have links to our agressors - and in this situation, all we really have to go on is Middle-Eastern descent and Islamic ties (even though that it not an entirely accurate qualifier) - we can't protect ourselves from these agents.

Those of you who mention the existance of non-Middle Eastern terrorists should consider the flipside of your arguement. Terrorists are indeed not very easy to pick out of a crowd. They can be any race, gender, age, and from any walk of life. That is why, when we know of a connection between a group of them, we have to do what we can to follow that lead. Even if that connection is a racial, religious, or nationalistic one; and we seem anti-equality by following it. If we don't follow the leads we have, we're sitting ducks.

As long as I don't hear news of civillian roundups or executions on questionable grounds or other things of that sort, I won't worry about it. We're just doing what we can to keep ourselves and our neighbors safe.

The truth is, the same thing could happen to any of us. This is just how the law works sometimes. If a serial rapist who looked exactly like me was seen hanging around my neighborhood, I might be thrown in jail for a few days until the authorities could determine otherwise. I might not like it, but it's better for society as a whole.

Cookie wrote:

PS: Is anyone else miffed at the whole Trent Lott thing?

Definitely. We should be discussing our government's withdrawl from peace-promoting missle treaties and our threats of nuclear weapon deployment. Not the personal policies of a single elected official.

Lott has denied being a racist, and those close to him agree. And as far as I know, he never specifically said that Thurmond's pro-segregation stance was the quality that would have made this country a better place. So who really CARES what Daschle, Clinton, and any number of newspaper editorialists say? They're not in a position to know his personal beliefs for certain, and since he doesn't seem to have broken any laws their opinions aren't even really relevant.

This is precisely why I hate scornful ex-political leaders and modern racial equality lobbyists.

GATSU wrote:

And Bush's father was the reason for Hussein's rise to power, while Reagan was the reason we have Osama Bin Laden. Americans really have a short attention span when it comes to history.

Jesus Effing Christ. Evil or Very Mad

GATSU, I want you to read this website right now. All of it. Because you embody just about everything it teaches.

Stephen's Guide to the Logical Fallacies

I'm not even going to bother trying to tell you how wrong you are. Suffice it to say that you are far more inattentive and ignorant than any American I've ever met, and that you are a hypocrite to the nth degree when you accuse other people of being stupid.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:34 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:
I'm not even going to bother trying to tell you how wrong you are. Suffice it to say that you are far more inattentive and ignorant than any American I've ever met, and that you are a hypocrite to the nth degree when you accuse other people of being stupid.

Oh, and you say that he is wrong based on... what? Your own belief that your government is all nice and good? In accusing Gatsu of being inattentive, ignorant and hypocrite without attempting to offer the slightest shred of intelligent argument, you are in fact demonstrating that you could use a good read of that link you posted yourself (See "Attacking the Person" under "Changing the Subject"). This kind of behavior is really not acceptable in any civilized debate, nor is it acceptable at ANN.

Shameful, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:47 pm Reply with quote
"Following the 9/11 attacks, President Bush told us that we were going to have to make sacrifices in order to proetct ourselves. When news like this crops up, I can't help but wonder if people really consciously registered and understood what he was saying."

Yes, and Auschwitz and Manchuria were sacrifices which had to be made for the sake of the German and Japanese economies.

"Our government allowed these men to enter our country for a specific amount of time. They ignored that condition, overstayed their welcome, and now they are paying the consequences. By violating the conditions of their visas, these people have broken the laws of our land. They could have left when they were supposed to and avoided this whole mess. But they didn't, and now they're paying for it."

And if people who are of Muslim/Arab descent who are citizens are shipped out because of their ethnic/religious backgrounds, what crime have they committed other than being born?

"So they may well be locked up, crowded, and one or two of them may get hosed down for one reason or another. But they are still being fed, clothed, and housed as best the justice system can manage under their strain."

You know the Jews were hosed down right before the gas chambers right?

"And with a little bit of luck, they'll probably be home in a week and suffer no long-lasting effects. That's more than fair, if you ask me."

I'm sure that's what some people said about the Japanese-Americans.

"It really doesn't matter that some of them stayed under honorable circumstances. If someone gets caught stealing food because they can't afford it, they'll be punished regardless."

But if someone gets caught stealing millions of dollars from their employees' savings, it's just a slap on the wrist huh?

"If someone kills a man for kidnapping their daughter, that person will still go to jail."

But if you issue sanctions against Iraq, killing 500,000 children a year, who goes to jail for that?

"If you've broken the law, you've broken the law. Excuses don't change that. Being morally justified is not the same as being legally justified."

And not all laws can be justified in the moral sense. (Slavery, for example.)

"As for the fact that these people are of Middle-Eastern descent... I think that's really not relevant. People scream racism like our government is purely interested in hurting Middle Easterners as much as possible, and that's simply not the case. It's not like we're rounding up innocent civillians. We're investigating suspicious persons."

As I said earlier, if that's the case, then we should be targeting Saudis, since they were the ones responsible for 9/11. Hell, Bush just let Yemen have missiles shipped from North Korea(part of the "axis of evil"), even though the bombing of the U.S.S. Cole was in Yemeni waters.

"As much as many of us would like to forget about it, there are still a number of Middle-Eastern organizations openly threatening our country and citizens. These organizations tend to act through agents who blend into the crowd."

And many of them are sponsored by the CIA.

"Those of you who mention the existance of non-Middle Eastern terrorists should consider the flipside of your arguement. Terrorists are indeed not very easy to pick out of a crowd. They can be any race, gender, age, and from any walk of life."

Like Timothy McVeigh, or that sniper, both of who were veterans under the U.S. army. Makes you wonder why we aren't investigating what's going on with them.

"Even if that connection is a racial, religious, or nationalistic one; and we seem anti-equality by following it. If we don't follow the leads we have, we're sitting ducks. "

See my comment on Saudis.

"As long as I don't hear news of civillian roundups or executions on questionable grounds or other things of that sort, I won't worry about it. We're just doing what we can to keep ourselves and our neighbors safe."

Those who choose safety over liberty deserve neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

"If a serial rapist who looked exactly like me was seen hanging around my neighborhood, I might be thrown in jail for a few days until the authorities could determine otherwise."

But sketches shouldn't be the only factor. You should also look for patterns of the rapist, the car of the rapist, etc. Witness testimony is the weakest source of information on apprehending a suspect. (Just ask the 5 men in N.Y. who were released from their prison sentence for rape, after DNA testing proved they weren't responsible.)

"And as far as I know, he never specifically said that Thurmond's pro-segregation stance was the quality that would have made this country a better place."

Well if you're going to go by "state's rights", then that's symbolic of Plessy vs Fergusson in which the Court interpreted the 14th and 15th Amendment to mean no "state" shall discriminate, leaving the federal government out of the loop, and forcing them to amend the Constitution, just so discrimination would be ended.

"This is precisely why I hate scornful ex-political leaders and modern racial equality lobbyists."

Yeah, I know, black people would have it much easier, if they'd get off their lazy asses, instead of asking for welfare for their crack habits. Racism no longer exists now that segregation is no longer legal. And yet they expect to be compensated at the expense of hard-working people like yourself who walked 20 miles in the snow to school when you were ten. If those people in South Carolina want to keep their Confederate flag up, it's their God-given right! It's people who want to burn flags who should be thrown in jail! America's always been about individual effort and love of your country, and if you don't like it, you can go back to where you came from.

"GATSU, I want you to read this website right now. All of it. Because you embody just about everything it teaches."

As I said in another thread, I don't support either party.

"Suffice it to say that you are far more inattentive and ignorant than any American I've ever met, and that you are a hypocrite to the nth degree when you accuse other people of being stupid."

I didn't say Americans are stupid. I said they don't think. It's easier to bomb another country so you can continue to drive your gas-guzzling SUV than it is to support alternative-fueled cars. (They have one which runs on hydrogen right now!) Now I don't exactly see what's wrong about the truth, because Reagan's CIA operatives used Osama's forces to fight Soviet expansion in Afghanistan. Iraq got our weapons of mass destruction from us when we needed them to stop Iranian expansion. Politics in general is like 1984. You just come up with a new scape-goat when the public shows discontent.
Grive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:47 am Reply with quote
I being from outside of the US of A *waves from the southern neighborhood*, can't have too much internal insight, but from what I've seen, there are so many aspects of the way the post 9/11 problems have been handled that seem inherently wrong to me.

Hotaru wrote:
"It's just a precaution" they say

Well, it IS a precaution. It's probably the most inefficient, biased and downright moronic precaution they could take, but a precaution nonetheless Wink

GATSU wrote:
Politics in general is like 1984. You just come up with a new scape-goat when the public shows discontent.

No.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies. - Groucho Marx

:p
Case

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yes, and Auschwitz and Manchuria were sacrifices which had to be made for the sake of the German and Japanese economies.

Both are IRRELEVANT. Civillian roundups, precisely the thing I said would change my mind, was the reason for Auschwitz's existance. Manchuria was a target for imperialist conquest, and had NOTHING AT ALL to do with defending the mother nation.

I'll restate my point: To catch terrorists, the rights of the individual will have to be imposed upon. Your response doesn't even address this, much less counter it. Wny did you even bother to respond to it?!

GATSU wrote:

And if people who are of Muslim/Arab descent who are citizens are shipped out because of their ethnic/religious backgrounds, what crime have they committed other than being born?

Visas, GATSU. Broke the law. In country illegally. Did you even read my post? We're not shipping them out because of their backrounds, we're doing it because they no longer have a right to be here. Their ethnicity is only an issue because A) the media likes to throw around the word Racism and B) Middle Easterners are being watched a little more closely by the whole country right now.

GATSU wrote:

You know the Jews were hosed down right before the gas chambers right?

They're not executing these people GATSU. They're running them through the deporation process just like any other illegal immegrants. The very article you liked to acknowledges that they are being released!

GATSU wrote:

I'm sure that's what some people said about the Japanese-Americans.

Until they started working them. But these people are not being put in camps, GATSU, they are being processed and sent home. Read into the articles beyond the whimpering emotional appeals. That's where the real learning is to be done.

GATSU wrote:

But if someone gets caught stealing millions of dollars from their employees' savings, it's just a slap on the wrist huh?

No, GATSU, embezzlement is punishable by YEARS in prison. Not four days in jail while your paperwork is set straight. The only ones who get off are the ones who don't turn themselves in and can't be tracked down. These Middle Easterners turned themselves in.

GATSU wrote:

But if you issue sanctions against Iraq, killing 500,000 children a year, who goes to jail for that?

Iraq is not the United States, GATSU. They are a soverign nation. That means that the highest authority controlling their actions is their own. They don't have to go to jail if they can convince themselves not to force eachother.

Just one more reason why you should complain so much about the country you live in.

GATSU wrote:

And not all laws can be justified in the moral sense. (Slavery, for example.)

Slavery is justified in a moral sense, GATSU. It just takes a certain moral standing. 200 years ago a majority of people in our own country believed it to be a moral practice, and so it was. Some societies still feel that way today.

But that's really irrelevant. Your comment only goes to support my assertion. It doesn't matter whether you and your friends think you acted appropriately. If you break the law, you pay the consequences just as these men are.

GATSU wrote:

As I said earlier, if that's the case, then we should be targeting Saudis, since they were the ones responsible for 9/11.

The government and citizens of Saudi Arabia cannot be rightly named at fault for the 9/11. Period. See the section of Stephen's site regarding Post Hoc.

GATSU wrote:

And many of them are sponsored by the CIA.

No. Our government funded Bin Laden sympathizers in the past, among the many hundreds of other groups and countries we have played Mommy for. "Many" does not apply, the CIA is a red herring, and that no longer applies when groups attack us.

GATSU wrote:

Like Timothy McVeigh, or that sniper, both of who were veterans under the U.S. army. Makes you wonder why we aren't investigating what's going on with them.

Because we have no basis upon which to seek such people out beyond the metal detectors and armed guards that are already in place! That was my point in that paragraph!

GATSU wrote:

See my comment on Saudis.

Your comment on the Saudis is totally off-base, just like all of the other nitpicks you're throwing at me. What good is there to refer to previous comments? You offer nothing but dozens upon dozens of conspiracy thories! There is no consise opinion for me to be persuaded to!

GATSU wrote:

Those who choose safety over liberty deserve neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

You are again off-base. Franklin is telling people that they SHOULD act, protect their freedom, and fight to be safe from people who threaten them. (The British, in this case.) Being "safe" in this context means no taking charge. It doesn't mean we should leave ourselved open to danger. It SUPPORTS what I am saying.

GATSU wrote:

But sketches shouldn't be the only factor. You should also look for patterns of the rapist, the car of the rapist, etc. Witness testimony is the weakest source of information on apprehending a suspect. (Just ask the 5 men in N.Y. who were released from their prison sentence for rape, after DNA testing proved they weren't responsible.)

Here you directly contradict yourself. How can you say that witness testimony is not relied upon when people are being released from prison in groups at a time when more objective evidence comes forward?! It happened to them. Hence, it happens. Hence, it can happen to anyone.

GATSU wrote:

Well if you're going to go by "state's rights", then that's symbolic of Plessy vs Fergusson in which the Court interpreted the 14th and 15th Amendment to mean no "state" shall discriminate, leaving the federal government out of the loop, and forcing them to amend the Constitution, just so discrimination would be ended.

What in Pete's name does that have to do with Lott not referring to Thurmond's segragational policies??

Lott said that the country would be a better place if we had more people like Thurmond. to the best of my knowledge, that is all he said. That being the case, he could have been talking about Thurmond's cooking at the 2002 Rotunda Cookout. It just happens that he used to be pro-segragation, and mass media likes to make anything they can look like a scandal.

GATSU wrote:

Yeah, I know, black people would have it much easier, if they'd get off their lazy asses, instead of asking for welfare for their crack habits. Racism no longer exists now that segregation is no longer legal. And yet they expect to be compensated at the expense of hard-working people like yourself who walked 20 miles in the snow to school when you were ten. If those people in South Carolina want to keep their Confederate flag up, it's their God-given right! It's people who want to burn flags who should be thrown in jail! America's always been about individual effort and love of your country, and if you don't like it, you can go back to where you came from.

Uhm... I am initially moved to say "Oh my god! We actually agree on something!!!" But you step on your own feet when you say that flag-burners should be thrown in jail, and from that point the line between sarcasm and honest opinion blurs your point into oblivion.

GATSU wrote:

As I said in another thread, I don't support either party.

Logical fallacies have nothing to do with political parties. Just read the site.

GATSU wrote:

I didn't say Americans are stupid. I said they don't think.

Yes. And you also present at least a dozen unrelated mostly-illogical criticisms and conspiracy thoeries which indicate a total lack of a point on your part. Net effect, you prove your own point. But by doing so you defeat your point of reference, and you make your post seem invalid. You come across as a living paradox. This is why I lost my temper after reading your comments, and why at least one person has objected to your posting habits in the past.

I'm aplogize to everyone for my loss of composure. I should know better than that, indeed. But I ask that you please try to understand my situation. When I come here and spend so much time writing out a detailed resolute arguement superior to anything I have written in furtherance of my education or career in the past six months, and return to find my opinions belittled with irrelevant tangent items, it's not easy to keep my cool. It's not that I can't handle contrary opinions. I invite those. You can find proof enough of that in the thread from a while back where Saxton and I discussed the future of the Anime Network. What I can't handle is this rediculous, trollish behavior like this. It's no better than swearing at and/or attacking a person as I have just done.

In all honesty, I think that a lot of future problems would be prevented it GATSU was faced with an ultimatum to shape up or be banned. Call me what you will for that - shameful, uncivilized, insubordinate, overlording - it doesn't make me any less convinced.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:24 am Reply with quote
sailormech: "Civillian roundups, precisely the thing I said would change my mind, was the reason for Auschwitz's existance."

And why isn't this considered a "civilian round-up"? The least that could be said is that this is just a new generation of McCarthyism, where Muslims and Arabs will replace communists as enemies of the state, and most likely executed for their beliefs, rather than their actions.

"I'll restate my point: To catch terrorists, the rights of the individual will have to be imposed upon. Your response doesn't even address this, much less counter it. Wny did you even bother to respond to it?!"

Actually, my response from one of our founding fathers, Ben Franklin, does address this.

"In country illegally. Did you even read my post? We're not shipping them out because of their backrounds, we're doing it because they no longer have a right to be here.Their ethnicity is only an issue because A) the media likes to throw around the word Racism and B) Middle Easterners are being watched a little more closely by the whole country right now.

Then why did they ask for people specifically from Middle Eastern countries, as opposed to immigrants in general?

"They're not executing these people GATSU."

Just sending them to countries where they're more likely to be executed. :)

"The very article you liked to acknowledges that they are being released!"

Shakib told Reuters that after talks with the INS, officials had promised to try to process the detainees more speedily and get more of them out on bail.

Emphasis on the "try".

"But these people are not being put in camps, GATSU, they are being processed and sent home."

Much like the people at Guantanamo Bay.

"No, GATSU, embezzlement is punishable by YEARS in prison. Not four days in jail while your paperwork is set straight. The only ones who get off are the ones who don't turn themselves in and can't be tracked down."

Like the politicians behind the Savings and Loan scandals. :)

"These Middle Easterners turned themselves in."

And they should be punished for some arbitrary beauracratic rule, rather than something immoral?

"Iraq is not the United States, GATSU. They are a soverign nation. That means that the highest authority controlling their actions is their own. They don't have to go to jail if they can convince themselves not to force eachother."

Now you're being irrelevant.

"Slavery is justified in a moral sense, GATSU. It just takes a certain moral standing. 200 years ago a majority of people in our own country believed it to be a moral practice, and so it was. Some societies still feel that way today."

Anything can be justified. Not everything can have a moral justification.

"It doesn't matter whether you and your friends think you acted appropriately. If you break the law, you pay the consequences just as these men are."

They didn't break the law. They just turned themselves in to extend their stay here. They "followed the rules" of the law.

"The government and citizens of Saudi Arabia cannot be rightly named at fault for the 9/11. Period. See the section of Stephen's site regarding Post Hoc."

FACT 1)The majority of the terrorists on the plane were Saudi Arabian. FACT 2)Terrorists have been funded by Saudia Arabia's government. Therefore Saudi Arabia has shown economic support for terrorist activities leading to 9/11.

"No. Our government funded Bin Laden sympathizers in the past, among the many hundreds of other groups and countries we have played Mommy for. "Many" does not apply, the CIA is a red herring, and that no longer applies when groups attack us."

You're just making this up as you go along, huh? You think the world is limited to science and logic, and that you can fit any square peg into a round circle.

"Because we have no basis upon which to seek such people out beyond the metal detectors and armed guards that are already in place! That was my point in that paragraph!"

Actually, we COULD regulate weapons by keeping national ballistics records like they have in Maryland. That's how they were able to keep track of the sniper. But then your Second Amendment would be violated. It's better to regulate people than weapons when it comes to safety. :)

"You offer nothing but dozens upon dozens of conspiracy thories!"

It's not a conspiracy theory. The families of the victims have sued Saudi Arabia's government over the 9/11 incident, and Ari Fleischer has asked the Saudis to keep track of the charities they send their money to.

"Franklin is telling people that they SHOULD act, protect their freedom, and fight to be safe from people who threaten them."

Threaten their freedom, not their lives. Give me liberty or give me death.

"How can you say that witness testimony is not relied upon when people are being released from prison in groups at a time when more objective evidence comes forward?! It happened to them. Hence, it happens. Hence, it can happen to anyone."

I don't see your point.

"Lott said that the country would be a better place if we had more people like Thurmond. to the best of my knowledge, that is all he said."

And he said it three times, and Thurmond campaigned for segregation. If you replaced Thurmond with Hitler, would it make a difference?

"It just happens that he used to be pro-segragation, and mass media likes to make anything they can look like a scandal."

Yeah, and Bush's family used to do business with the Nazis.

"But you step on your own feet when you say that flag-burners should be thrown in jail, and from that point the line between sarcasm and honest opinion blurs your point into oblivion."

Man you're vague. :)

"Net effect, you prove your own point. But by doing so you defeat your point of reference, and you make your post seem invalid. You come across as a living paradox. This is why I lost my temper after reading your comments, and why at least one person has objected to your posting habits in the past."

Human beings aren't machines or even organisms which follow a set patten. Not everything makes sense in this world.

"When I come here and spend so much time writing out a detailed resolute arguement superior to anything I have written in furtherance of my education or career in the past six months, and return to find my opinions belittled with irrelevant tangent items, it's not easy to keep my cool."

So the knowledge and experience from your education and career have come to up-staging someone on a message board?
That's not a very rational decision.

"In all honesty, I think that a lot of future problems would be prevented it GATSU was faced with an ultimatum to shape up or be banned."

Shape up for expressing an opinion opposed to yours? :)
Case

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:00 am Reply with quote
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Fine. I'm done. I'm gone. I'm out. I give up. I lose. The End. Whatever.

You defeat an earnest, well-conceived opinion yet again GATSU. I'm defeated. No educated literal strategy I know can defeat your all-consuming selective igorance, inconsistency, and neglect for details. You defeat my opinion, even though you have no unified counter opinion. That satisfy you? Will a little ego stroking make you happy, even if there's absolutely no substance whatsoever to your victory?

Honestly, I don't know why I even bother posting editorial material here anymore.
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:54 am Reply with quote
Can't you all feel the love in this Thread?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2