• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Face

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcy2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this title, and if so if there are any rumors or any news floating around it getting licesned. Considering it ran in shonen jump I guess viz has first dibs on it. I think it ran for 50 or 60 chapters. I'm a big fan of it, but I would love to see it in the states.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there was a short article in Shonen Jump about Pretty Face. It summed it up and showed some pics of it.

Unfortunately, the Shonen Jump article was highlighting it as a manga that was "too weird" for America.

My sister loves it anyway and I might read it too.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of it...it sounds interesting, but have yet to see it...
Aqualung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:39 am Reply with quote
Pretty Face ran for 52 chapters, and is currently being scanlated by [EDIT - No Scanilation Groups, please. -C], with chapter 34 being released not too long ago. You can either d/l it directly from them, or you can get it on the [EDIT - No Scanilation Groups, please. -C], with several other good manga scanlations. You do have to register and post, but it's worth it. The people there are very friendly, and it's free from flame wars. Be sure to tell them that Aqualung sent you!

Aqualung
wcy2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Aqualung wrote:
Pretty Face ran for 52 chapters, and is currently being scanlated by [EDIT - No Scanilation Groups, please. -C], with chapter 34 being released not too long ago. You can either d/l it directly from them, or you can get it on the [EDIT - No Scanilation Groups, please. -C], with several other good manga scanlations. You do have to register and post, but it's worth it. The people there are very friendly, and it's free from flame wars. Be sure to tell them that Aqualung sent you!

Aqualung

whats funny is I know who you are talking about, look up chapter 10 and you will see why. I was wondering about liscensing cause even scanlators want to see the manga brought over here. Thats what makes it so awesome. I was thrilled when naruto, one piece, nuku nuku and all the others came.
wcy2003

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:37 pm Reply with quote
so no one knows anything else about the series?
Cerberus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I read the Manga Explorer article from SJ on it and it seemed like it would be a funny manga to read. Unfortunately as molloaggie said, it's probably too weird to be released in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Now, I'm not too sure about this. Some time has passed since the last post, but they have series like Duck Prince now, which is technically the same as Pretty Face: Guy gets into accident (?) and gets plastic surgery and ends up completely different.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if something like Pretty Face did get released, and I would very much look forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The reason I think Pretty Face won't come out here is because of the pseudo-homosexual elements that it exudes. There are a lot of sexy pinups and panty shots of Randou as a girl, even though he's a guy, and that is definately considered "weird" by US standards even though japanese male otaku have been lusting after guys who look like girls since Ranma 1/2.

At the very least, Viz, which only publishes mainstream manga, would not touch it.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Diedrupo wrote:
The reason I think Pretty Face won't come out here is because of the pseudo-homosexual elements that it exudes. There are a lot of sexy pinups and panty shots of Randou as a girl, even though he's a guy, and that is definately considered "weird" by US standards even though japanese male otaku have been lusting after guys who look like girls since Ranma 1/2.

At the very least, Viz, which only publishes mainstream manga, would not touch it.

And how is Pretty Face not mainstream? Sure it starts a transvestite, but other gender-bending manga have been successfuly released in the US. I could see Viz putting PF under their new "Mature" shonen line. And while nowadays they stick to mainstream stuff, Viz used to be great about publishing lesser known matterial, even going so far to put out an underground anthology. It's a shame that they stick to only a couple of demographics now.
I've read the first volume of PF, and I found it enjoyable. It's well drawn and despite the unoriginal concept, it's suprisingly funny. I haven't read any more of it since then, but I'd consider picking up a couple of volumes if it ever came out in english.
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Diedrupo wrote:

Right...Viz would never publish a comic with gender-bending themes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a shame that they stick to only a couple of demographics now.
I've read the first volume of PF, and I found it enjoyable. It's well drawn and despite the unoriginal concept, it's suprisingly funny. I haven't read any more of it since then, but I'd consider picking up a couple of volumes if it ever came out in english.

Gotta thank Tokyopop for artistically ruining the manga industry in the states. Sure it means that more and more people are getting introduced to comics this way, but the quality of the material hitting our shores sucks... :(

Genderbending is clearly mainstream, DMP announced 5 new titles that are Yaoi.... 5 new titles! Not to mention its a common theme in Rumiko Takahashi's work and a plethora of Shoujo... which guess what? They are the source of this current manga craze - teenage girls.

Its not like Satoshi Kon's manga is getting published here, or Yoshiharu Tsuge, hell even popular authors in japan that fall outside of the otaku subculture aren't published here like Iou Kuroda or Kyoko Okazaki....

When I see these people published is the day that I'll actually have respect for the american manga market... for now I'll just keep being envious of the french... :P
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1