• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Gets Gurren Lagann TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SomeVito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
GregZor wrote:
Steve Blum as Kamina
Michael McConnohie as Lord Genome
Johnny Yong Bosch AS EVERYONE ELSE

HELL YEAH GO BANDAI

I think you mean Crispin Freeman as Kamina.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, what have we learned here?

Sticking your thumb in your ass and not releasing a show leads to that show geting taken from you and given to someone who will actualy do it.

Now if sunrise would just take the rights of Keroro Gunsou off thier swetty hands already. I think ADV needs to learn the lesson.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
GregZor wrote:
Steve Blum as Kamina
Michael McConnohie as Lord Genome
Johnny Yong Bosch AS EVERYONE ELSE

HELL YEAH GO BANDAI

Johnny Yong Bosch as Yoko too ? Very Happy

I think I would prefer Wendee Lee in that role, hehe.
SomeVito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else concerned about Bandai trying to rush out a subtitled version quickly since they have a history with disc problems like that DVD recall back in January, and subtitles like with Zeta Gundam.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
nooneofconsequence wrote:
ADV going out of business would be a significant blow to the industry as because not only ADV is one of the more innovative companies, but it's also a company run by fans for fans. I still don't see it happening just yet.

We seem to forget that we're currently in a recession, filled with rising prices on gas and food. So what ADV may be doing is making sure they're still able to put food on their collective table.

Also; ADV's been juggling an anime magazine and an all-anime cable channel.

Finally; "by fans, for fans." But at the end of the day, those "fans" who run ADV are still people who are running a business. And it's the same "fans" who had been battling against both the fansub communities and the "free Free FREE" communities.

So, unless you're a hardcore anime fan, ADV doesn't have many friends.

ADV going out of business "would be a significant blow to the industry." But not as significant a blow if a company like Funimation went out of business. Since Funi's being run by people more mature and with better (upcoming) titles than ADV, they now have "the monkey" ADV used to have.

And Gurren Lagann; its garbage.

Gainax is a company filled with hypocrites; cussing out people on 2chan during GL's run (and making Simoun's face look like a rear-end on episode 4) yet having as much fanservice as every other pretentious animu that's out there.

I'm waiting patiently for Claymore and Host Club. Cool
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
oh man... Shocked

this is NOT good news for ADV. i don't know what they could possibly say at this point. it's beyond embarrassing.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, what a strange release schedule...

But I like it. I only watch subs anyway, so getting the discs so cheaply and so quickly (presumably because they're sub-only) is fine by me!

Well, I do still want a Blu-ray release, but I'll take what I can get.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Don't really care about the rest of the English cast, but I really hope they keep Brett Weaver as Kamina.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

And Gurren Lagann; its garbage.

Gainax is a company filled with hypocrites; cussing out people on 2chan during GL's run (and making Simoun's face look like a rear-end on episode 4) yet having as much fanservice as every other pretentious animu that's out there.

Heh, I find it funny you think you can hold such a criticism with not only a pretty much inconsequential argument but also empty misinformation.

As for Gurren-Lagann's future in America; it has the potential for becoming a huge hit if, and only if, it gets aired on TV.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Wow, that's pretty unexpected. Has anything like this ever happened before?

Yeah ADV Films had Tactics and even dubbed it before they dropped it, and gave it to Manga Entertainment

[/img]
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh be still my heart.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a strange turn of events indeed. I'm not going to get into whether or not ADV does better dubs than Bandai or vice versa or anything, but I guess the way I see it it now has a lot higher a chance of getting on TV now, and that's all I care about. Wink

So far Bandai hasn't been all that impressive though. I'm still looking for them to license Kekkaishi (c'mon, we all know it'll be Bandai that gets it, being a Sunrise series and all Wink ) but I guess the weekend's not over yet, huh? Wink
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd still stay Gurren Lagann would take priority. If they had done research into who will buy, they'd see it was more sought after than any of the other shows, even among people who rarely buy anything. Huge loss for them, I'll be glad to see them die.

Except that, according to accounts I've heard, the first volume of Devil May Cry is the top-selling volume of anime so far in 2008 from any U.S. distributor. It has a strong video game connection that TTGL doesn't and probably was a cheaper license, hence it's a more sure-fire money maker. As others have noted, 2007's "hot amongst fans" series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was not the sales blockbuster everyone expected, and unless it gets on TV TTGL feels like it's in the same position.

I must say that I am not happy about this development, especially the dub being delayed for several months, and like others, I'm very curious about what, exactly, happened to bring this about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
SomeVito wrote:
and subtitles like with Zeta Gundam.

As I recall, the problem there was that instead of proper subtitles that had "dubtitles". (subtitles of the script from the dub rather than a translation of the Japanese track.) That seems like a non-issue here since for the first time, the Dub won't even exist yet when these sub only DVDs come out.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting license news, I'll give it that. But people seriously need to be slower to start "the sky is falling" routine. It was old a few months ago.

I mean, come on people. We knew something was going on at ADV, but of all the titles in question, this is the only one that didn't come back, IIRC. So clearly ADV is still alive and kicking and then some.

I also question how big of a hit this anime would be. Don't mecha anime generally not do so well in North America? I know the Gundam series has never really been that big, except maybe Wing and Seed, since they were on television.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9