• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Midnight Opera

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes my band sounds a lot like Throbbing Gristle, sometimes we sound a lot like Funkadelic, sometimes we sound pretty No Wave...

What the f*ck...sounds interesting to say the least.

I'm talking early Funkadelic. The really freaky, Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow-type stuff. Goes better than you'd think. And for the record I also find Optic Nerve to be somewhat repetitive, I just picked it as an example since it's a fairly representative indie comic.

Vampires and werewolves need not be cliche. Anyone who thinks so really needs to read Preacher (also proof of gritty American comics, if any more was necessary), just for Cassidy, the hard-drinking Irish vampire. There's a great scene where he faces down a whole herd of goths in the sewers of Paris that always brings tears to my eyes...but anyways. Cliches are only cliches because people have that attitude that you can't do anything new with them, and there will always be a Jean-Luc Godard to make gangsters interesting, an Alan Moore to revitalize superheroes, a Garth Ennis to make vampires not lame, a Fugazi to make punk musically interesting, etc.

And really, I have no symapthy for OEL manga artists. You aren't being discriminated against for living in America. It's all in your head, you just need to remember that "manga" means "comics" means "bande desinee" and it's my opinion that anyone who can't grasp the basic terminology of their chosen profession doesn't deserve to make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
redcomet15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, an A-? I was gonna stay out of this debate, but you'd give the art for this graphic novel an A-?! Personally, I haven't read this title. In fact, I don't read any Amerimanga. I read manga because it comes from Japan. But that's besides the point. Maybe an F is a bit harsh for the art, but from the scans I've seen so far (yours included) this graphic novel's art by no means merits an A. I read a lot of manga, and my favorite titles include those that splice together enjoyable stories with amazing artwork. I'm not an expert, but I have a fair idea of what A+ artwork looks like:
Example #1, courtesy of Berserk, by Kentaro Miura

The attention to detail alone makes me nerdgasm. Everything about this picture is done right: The pose is anatomically correct, there are no faults with the positioning and angling, it's obvious that the swordbearer is in the midst of an action... I'm getting shivers. Next example.

Example #2, courtesy of Tenjho Tenge, by Oh! great

What I really like about this example is that, despite the extremely difficult nature of the positioning and angling of the subjects, everything comes off looking natural. The centerpiece of the picture, the car, just blows me away with its realism. It's so well done I can't stand it! I'm a college student studying for a major in art, and I can't help but be envious of Oh! great's and Miura's talent. They, along with every other professional mangaka and comic book artist out there that churn out quality work, are so good at their profession all I can do is feel dwarfed by their greatness.

To say that A Midnight Opera's art is worthy of an A would be putting it on the same level as the examples I've just provided. I honestly don't feel A Midnight Opera can be compared with Berserk or Tenjho Tenge in any way, shape or form. To give something an A means it is near or has achieved perfection. A Midnight Opera is defenitely not perfect, as the artist obviously has much room for improvement. He certainly has talent, but like was said before, that talent means nothing if it isn't refined.
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
You're saying an A- is on the same level as an A+? I'm not. But I also wouldn't give either of those an A+. I'd give the TenTen an A across the board, but the Berserk...whoa, I don't like his drawing style at all. B at best for that spread. In my totally subjective view. If you think those both deserve an A+, that's your prerogative--you know what art pushes your buttons and what art doesn't.

But to me A doesn't mean perfect. A to me means 90% or better.

Last edited by Peter Ahlstrom on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
redcomet15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you think those both deserve an A+, that's your prerogative--you know what art pushes your buttons and what art doesn't.

I suppose so. To each their own, then.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
Wow. That page from Tenjou Tenge is crap, if I do say so myself.

Super-realistic cars and clouds do NOT go well with super-cartoony human figures. Never mind that I'm not sure how Mr. Spikey-hair can walk, given the weird directions his legs are contorted in. At least Mr. Spikey-Hair Cripple is half-flying, it makes that one anorexic chick's amazingly gravity-defying breasts somewhat more believable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Treeloot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
[quote="Peter Ahlstrom"]
Zac wrote:

[EDIT: And you just now said he can draw adequately. So what is it, adequate art, which would equal a C, or something else? If you give something an F, you're saying it's not only inadequate (D grade) but a complete failure.]

The font in that above picture is practically unreadable. I'd be marking down in the art department for that kind of crap.

As for adequate drawing I believe the reviewer probably meant that this guy can draw better than most people - BUT he still needs a lot of work on things like perspective, anatomy, and other things.

As for the grading scale, if this was a high school art project it might be A material, but when compared to all the other stuff out there it's probably below average. Most published comics don't have glaring artistic errors on many of the pages. I don't think the art you posted really shows a lot of the problems like the characters not looking consistent through out the whole thing.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Peter Ahlstrom wrote:
You're saying an A- is on the same level as an A+? I'm not. But I also wouldn't give either of those an A+. I'd give the TenTen an A across the board, but the Berserk...whoa, I don't like his drawing style at all. B at best for that spread. In my totally subjective view. If you think those both deserve an A+, that's your prerogative--you know what art pushes your buttons and what art doesn't.

But to me A doesn't mean perfect. A to me means 90% or better.

You do realise the entire sum of your arguments and posts in this thread equate to "Well, I like what I like, and you like what you like!" and then exploding your own head whenever someone says otherwise. Infact, if you're going to post an opinion as some kind of formulated argument and then tack on "to each his own", and THEN come back and cry foul whenever someone doesn't like the art, then don't bother, because it comes off more like a loyalist whine than an actual argument.

I've looked at this, and the art deserves an F, being that it is a commercial product with bad scaling, lack of depth, overall pretenciousness and it's just plain ol' bad. Want to give it an A- Peter? Go and write a review, and submit it.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
You know why they're publishing American "manga"? THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY. They don't try publishing something if they don't think the can make a profit. That's how a business works. I would call this an attempt to cash in on the popularity of manga because t's manga styled and they're trying to make money off of it.

Let me rephrase that. Of course Tokyopop wants to make money. OEL certainly will make profit, in that money coming in will almost definitely be more than money going out, simply because with the way they pay creators, most OEL mangaka can barely buy groceries (I exaggerate, but they ARE generally poorly paid). But NET profit is, quite frankly, probably tiny, no matter what some TP rep will tell you.

From TP: "...Furthermore, we've published a few manga that, quite bluntly, have failed commercially—but we continue to publish additional volumes because we believe in the creator's message, expression, and talent."
Yes, this is a bit of a marketing ploy to make you think that TP is awesome and wonderful, but it is partially true. TP plans an OEL series to be three volumes long, and extended if it's successful. Out of the 10 OEL out there (Princess Ai doesn't count because it IS drawn by a Japanese), only one, I believe, has gotten this extension (Shutterbox). The others might never be popular enough to even sell well past volume 1, but TP IS going to be continuing those series (according to contracts).
The idea is that of course OEL isn't going to popular now. For one thing, most creators are very amateurish now, having worked previously solely on non-sequential art, webcomics, or American style, but TP EXPECTS OEL creators to get better. Another obstacle, of course, is the fan perception that OEL is no good because it's not Japanese, which is totally biased and hypocritical because the manwha has the exact same scenario, yet it's still respected. (And just so you know, if you think that the "spirit of manga" comes solely from nationality, you really don't understand sequential art and the differences between manga and "western" comics at all.)

OEL mangaka Rivkah noted that "[Stu Levy of TP] told his editors that even if he doesn't quite like a series, if THEY feel passionate about a certain creator and their work, he'll back them. How often does THAT happen?" Again, I'm not saying TP is God because TP does suck in very many ways, but it's probably the only way for west-born manga lovers to create. Indie comic publishers have no quality control whatsoever, and with self-publishing you really can't learn anything. If you ever attend a portfolio review, you might see what I mean; in general, editors have a strong grasp on sequential art and "manga" art and storytelling style--possibly a stronger grasp than some OEL mangaka.

Quote:
True, but in Japan there's a MUCH larger talent pool with higher standards in such contests.

...which is what I said. The problem isn't approach, it's environment. Plus there are very few mangaka to assist. moving on...

Quote:

Im my opinion, when we eventually start seeing professional OEL manga (No one here is saying that it can't happen, it just hasn't happened yet.) , it will most likely be from art-college/art-major graduates who've been fans of the style from their youth and learned proper art skills over the years.

Oh man, I agree with you totally. But the only problem is that in the US, while you certainly can learn how to draw, it's very difficult to actually learn comics (the only school that teaches comics in the nation is SCAD, I believe), and even so, creators won't be able to grasp MANGA seqart. Like, look at Rivkah or Queenie Chan; these two artists were influenced SOLELY BY MANGA and have learned proper art skills, but their seqart is still flawed (not that I can do better) because they don't have the kind of environment to learn and self-discover that the Japanese have.

As for Midnight Opera, yes the art is bad. I've seen worse; I would probably give it a D, not an F, because F is reserved for select pathetic Indie comics. OEL has a ways to go, but that's the thing--it's not going to stay stationary, it WILL get better.
VML

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Let me tell you something, people.

TokyoPop is doing the same thing Japan does: they hold contests for mangaka to get a chance to have their own original manga published. Some of those winners made really popular anime/manga (such as Naruto). Its really hard for people to get into the manga industry in Japan, especially with so many publishers holding contests and letting readers choose which manga they like the best and rejecting the other manga. One of the reasons why that neat manga anthology, Robot, was published was to showcase amazing work by mangakas who've had so much trouble getting into the manga business.

I believe TP wants the same manga stuff happening in Japan to happen in America. What they are doing is bringing the manga industry into America. In other words, they want America to have their own manga industry, just like Japan. Pretty soon, we might be seeing more manga magazines, doujinshi, and anime here in the US. Can you imagine America having as much anime, manga, and fandom as Japan?

Yes, maybe TP wants us to turn Japanese! Laughing (Sorry, cheesy joke!) Not only TP, but also other publishers and animation studios!

Well, from what I said, you can either consider it bad or good.

I do have respect for OEL. I don't see OEL as a cheap attempt to making more money (as for American cartoons that look like anime, that's a different story). I see it as a way of letting America's manga industry grow. I also see OEL as a chance for manga fans to showcase their art and their own stories, of course.

(I think the same stuff is also happening in other countries, but I don't know that much about the anime and manga industries there. I live in the US, what do you expect?)
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the reasons why that neat manga anthology, Robot, was published was to showcase amazing work by mangakas who've had so much trouble getting into the manga business.

Robot isn't a collection of artists who "can't get published", it's a collection of artists generally from mediums outside manga. I'm sure many of these people could easily get work considering how well known they are.
Quote:
I believe TP wants the same manga stuff happening in Japan to happen in America. What they are doing is bringing the manga industry into America. In other words, they want America to have their own manga industry, just like Japan. Pretty soon, we might be seeing more manga magazines, doujinshi, and anime here in the US. Can you imagine America having as much anime, manga, and fandom as Japan?

America will NEVER have as much manga published as Japan: the culteral gap is simply too large for sequential art to penetrate every level of culture like it has in Japan.
Secondly, calling their American products "original english manga" is a marketing ploy. People seem to think that the term manga describes a genre of comic originating from Japan. It's simply the Japanese term for graphic fiction (I'm sure they call American comics manga in Japan, just like manga people still refer to manga as comics in America). While it's not nessisarily wrong to refer to TP's line as OEL manga, it is pretty much a marketing ploy to appeal to a certain audience.
milcor1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:23 am Reply with quote
I don't mind seeing in an F, in fact I think reviews such as the ones on AOD could use something broader than just the limited range of the letter grade. I mean everything there seems to be A-, A, and A+ for art in mangas and vice versa for story or B-, B, B+ that I really refuse to believe they could be all so close considering the wildly varying styles manga can bring. The small range of the letter grades to me doesn't convey what I need to know considering there is so much manga out there. Everything these days seems to churn out B's and A's to the point where they've all lost their meaning to me. So hey, bring on the F's, it's something I can actually make a decision on.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:32 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
(I'm sure they call American comics manga in Japan, just like manga people still refer to manga as comics in America).

Actually, they just call them "comics" (komikkusu). They also very often call manga "comics".
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Treeloot wrote:
You know why they're publishing American "manga"? THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY. They don't try publishing something if they don't think the can make a profit. That's how a business works. I would call this an attempt to cash in on the popularity of manga because t's manga styled and they're trying to make money off of it.

Let me rephrase that. Of course Tokyopop wants to make money. OEL certainly will make profit, in that money coming in will almost definitely be more than money going out, simply because with the way they pay creators, most OEL mangaka can barely buy groceries (I exaggerate, but they ARE generally poorly paid). But NET profit is, quite frankly, probably tiny, no matter what some TP rep will tell you.

From TP: "...Furthermore, we've published a few manga that, quite bluntly, have failed commercially—but we continue to publish additional volumes because we believe in the creator's message, expression, and talent."
Yes, this is a bit of a marketing ploy to make you think that TP is awesome and wonderful, but it is partially true. TP plans an OEL series to be three volumes long, and extended if it's successful. Out of the 10 OEL out there (Princess Ai doesn't count because it IS drawn by a Japanese), only one, I believe, has gotten this extension (Shutterbox). The others might never be popular enough to even sell well past volume 1, but TP IS going to be continuing those series (according to contracts).
The idea is that of course OEL isn't going to popular now. For one thing, most creators are very amateurish now, having worked previously solely on non-sequential art, webcomics, or American style, but TP EXPECTS OEL creators to get better. Another obstacle, of course, is the fan perception that OEL is no good because it's not Japanese, which is totally biased and hypocritical because the manwha has the exact same scenario, yet it's still respected. (And just so you know, if you think that the "spirit of manga" comes solely from nationality, you really don't understand sequential art and the differences between manga and "western" comics at all.)

OEL mangaka Rivkah noted that "[Stu Levy of TP] told his editors that even if he doesn't quite like a series, if THEY feel passionate about a certain creator and their work, he'll back them. How often does THAT happen?" Again, I'm not saying TP is God because TP does suck in very many ways, but it's probably the only way for west-born manga lovers to create. Indie comic publishers have no quality control whatsoever, and with self-publishing you really can't learn anything. If you ever attend a portfolio review, you might see what I mean; in general, editors have a strong grasp on sequential art and "manga" art and storytelling style--possibly a stronger grasp than some OEL mangaka.

Quote:
True, but in Japan there's a MUCH larger talent pool with higher standards in such contests.

...which is what I said. The problem isn't approach, it's environment. Plus there are very few mangaka to assist. moving on...

Quote:

Im my opinion, when we eventually start seeing professional OEL manga (No one here is saying that it can't happen, it just hasn't happened yet.) , it will most likely be from art-college/art-major graduates who've been fans of the style from their youth and learned proper art skills over the years.

Oh man, I agree with you totally. But the only problem is that in the US, while you certainly can learn how to draw, it's very difficult to actually learn comics (the only school that teaches comics in the nation is SCAD, I believe), and even so, creators won't be able to grasp MANGA seqart. Like, look at Rivkah or Queenie Chan; these two artists were influenced SOLELY BY MANGA and have learned proper art skills, but their seqart is still flawed (not that I can do better) because they don't have the kind of environment to learn and self-discover that the Japanese have.

As for Midnight Opera, yes the art is bad. I've seen worse; I would probably give it a D, not an F, because F is reserved for select pathetic Indie comics. OEL has a ways to go, but that's the thing--it's not going to stay stationary, it WILL get better.

Eh, I would ignore this Treetop guy. No matter what you say, he already has it in his mind that TP is out to make tons of money on OEL manga and he simply block out every other logic that comes his way.

And I'm sure there are tons of bad manga that end up getting cancle in japan. It just so happen that manga is a really huge market over there, so most US pubilsher will pick up the good ones and bring them over to the U.S. Thus we see most of the above average manga over here. Plus I see titles like Hellsing and X being way overrated.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
minakichan wrote:
Treeloot wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Eh, I would ignore this Treetop guy. No matter what you say, he already has it in his mind that TP is out to make tons of money on OEL manga and he simply block out every other logic that comes his way.

And I'm sure there are tons of bad manga that end up getting cancle in japan. It just so happen that manga is a really huge market over there, so most US pubilsher will pick up the good ones and bring them over to the U.S. Thus we see most of the above average manga over here. Plus I see titles like Hellsing and X being way overrated.

TOKYOPOP IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY WITH AMERIMANGA. HOW THE fudge CAN YOU NOT GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD? That's how a god damn business works. They do what they think can make them money.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
DO YOU DARE CLIMB THE QUOTE ZIGGURAT

MMmmmm, capitalism is yummy.

Editor's note: please do not summon the quote zigurrat. Check what you're quoting first! Thanks!

Haru: Sorry, I should have shortened it!

Last edited by Haru to Ashura on Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4