• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 2009 Anime Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
I've noticed Envy looking a might bit creepier, but maybe that's just for that particular picture. I don't see the big deal about the color of Winry's bandana, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
i think that was their way of announcing that the new anime is manga based...phew...i was really worried until today..but i think its confirmed now..and i agree with rhymeswithempty ,,scar doesnt look that intimidating..but u do have a point there ,,this new style of drawing has surely made the characters a bit cartoony...but.as long as we have a great anime in the making..i wont mind that..

a new trailer would be the icing on the cake..what say guys....

i didn't even notice winry's bandana
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
Perhaps a new commercial will be aired this week during (or after) Gundam 00. I always watch that night/morning. It seems like a new one comes out every other week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
isnt this gonna replace gundam 00 on the mbs tbs network???
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
cnav wrote:
isnt this gonna replace gundam 00 on the mbs tbs network???

All signs point to yes.

Like it doesn't already have enough in common with Gundam 00! It'll be FMA 2 and then Evening 5 news!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
*Watches the new scans*

*runs around like a fangirl*

And manga storyline it IS! Very Happy

P.S. I read around that Isaac is an original character designed by Arakawa's herself (you can see, the style is hers... and I love it, by the way, EVEN in animation). I guess they didn't want to make a first episode exactly like the old series. Wink

Last edited by Sariachan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
all this new character stuff and all point to one thing,,that the first few episodes will be different from the ones in the previous anime till the pt where the manga diverges..the thought makes me wanna celebrate..next on the line is this month's gangan...
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well FMA 2 is airing in an important time slot, recovering old ground for 10-15 episodes could be ratings suicide.. so I would expect an anime original episode or 2 before they quickly cover how things got to this stage before fully going into the manga. Also with lots of manga material to cover quickly covering some volumes would be needed.

Also while it is disappointing some roles where recast I think it's best to wait until we hear the new roles before whining too much, who knows you might like the new version better... personally liking the recasting of Roy to Shinichiro Miki.. his resume shows he will handle Roy's role with ease...

darcerin wrote:
Kikuko Inoue played Belldandy in Oh! My Goddess! and Ah! My Goddess! TV...I can't imagine her being Lust...that's going to be so weird...I actually don't feel her voice is right for the part, and I'm a fan of hers. Oh well, willing to give it a chance!

She's actually played quite a few villains/tough characters but I guess that's not well known... people who knew this knew straight away about her character in Macross Frontier whereas people who only knew Belldandy had no idea.

She was The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3, she played the villain in Guilty Gear XX fighting game, already mentioned Macross Frontier,
KurobaX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Hm...

I don't know. I might watch this, I might not. I liked the previous Fullmetal Alchemist - even though it deviated significantly from the manga after a while. I had gotten used to the previous cast - they all seemed to fit the characters quite well.

The new cast has me a bit worried. Some of these...I have never heard of at all - and I tend to watch a lot of the same genres with similar voice casts. While I am not familiar with all of them, I must say I am a bit surprised that Shinichi Miki is casted as Roy Mustang. I have never imagined his voice to the type for Roy; I quite like Toru Ohkawa as Roy Mustang...

Ah well. We shall have to wait and see.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Whats this crap about manga Scar not being intimidating.

Does it bother anyone else they didn't change the Star of David.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting non-returning VA's Toru Ohkawa, Yasunori Matsumoto, & Michiko Neya are in Soul Eater. Miki did a 1-shot & Miyake joined that cast as White Star in ep 46. I know some VA's seem happy doing one or 2 titles while others seem to do as much as they can. Or maybe the schedules conflict

KurobaX wrote:
Hm...
I don't know. I might watch this, I might not. I liked the previous Fullmetal Alchemist - even though it deviated significantly from the manga after a while. I had gotten used to the previous cast - they all seemed to fit the characters quite well.

The new cast has me a bit worried. Some of these...I have never heard of at all - and I tend to watch a lot of the same genres with similar voice casts. While I am not familiar with all of them, I must say I am a bit surprised that Shinichi Miki is casted as Roy Mustang. I have never imagined his voice to the type for Roy; I quite like Toru Ohkawa as Roy Mustang...

This site indicates Miki's done about 280 roles.
I counted up Ohkawa's & he's about 100 shy of that number & far more of Miki's have been large roles.
Miki not right for Mustang?
How?
Just because you got used to the last VA?
What aspect of Mustang does Ohkawa possess the ability to portray that Miki doesn't?
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the only one I'm worried about is the guy doing Kimblee. I close my eye listening to Hallelujah and imagining Kimblee saying his words they just don't match. Is Hallelujah the most menacing voice Hiroyuki Yoshino can do?
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I've noticed Envy looking a might bit creepier, but maybe that's just for that particular picture. I don't see the big deal about the color of Winry's bandana, though.

Me neither, I just know some people had been hoping for it.

Sariachan wrote:
P.S. I read arund that Isaac is an original character designed by Arakawa's herself (you can see, the style is hers... and I love it, by the way, EVEN in animation). I guess they didn't want to make a first episode exactly like the old series.

If that's true, then that should hopefully calm a few people down, heh. Any reliable source for that info? I mean, obviously he'd be drawn in her style, they're doing the entire show in her style. But if he really is an original Awakawa character, well, that's very interesting news indeed.

Maybe Arakawa even had a hand in reshaping a lot of the beginning of the story, if they are in fact reshaping it? It sounds like a very smart idea to me - the beginning of the manga wasn't the strongest, and the 1st anime did it a lot of favors, so they've really got to mix it up if they want it to be strong and different from the 1st series. And it makes sense to me that Arakawa might want to revisit it, now that she's grown as a mangaka. But that might just be me being hopeful, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I understand people being sad about the original FMA Japanese dub actors not coming back, but I don't get why people are complaining about the new cast members when we haven't even heard any of them act yet.

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Its because they imagined the previous VAs doing this role.

I mean I can't imagine anyone as Roy other than Travis Willingham, I mean I love Travis gruff military voice that he does as Roy, and Guile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13