• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Some People Can't Carry iTunes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

The top 2 anime (Girl Und Panzer, and Love Live!) that are selling right now, it's moe. I stopped watching moe since it's getting out of control and finding those usually sell in Japan, yeah that's not a surprise.

First of all I think those aren't the top two anime selling right now. The list just shows you that a series has changed position on a list.

Second of all I don't like "moe" either but that has absolutely nothing to do with the state of the anime industry in Japan. Your personal likes and dislikes do not say what is going on with the industry.

And while I haven't watched either of those series I know quite of few people who are also not into "moe" who liked both those series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I get it now. mdo7's position on the decline of the anime industry has nothing to do with sales or amount of series produced, both of which appear robust right now, it's just it's not the anime he likes that are coming out constantly. I think that also rings false because there's been a ton of that content as well. What do you want, another Cowboy Bebop every season? That's not only being unreasonable, that's being ridiculous, as if that sort of thing actually occurred in the 90s. That also ignores other successes like Fate/Zero, Yamato 2199, Gundam Unicorn, Break Blade, Shingeki no Kyojin, and Psycho-Pass, as well as shows the women enjoy like UtaPri, Free!, KuroBas, and Magi. Pointing out the biggest sellers is entertaining, but a show is still going to get into the black if it comes out in the 4-5k range, which a lot of them do. Maybe when everything goes the way of C3-bu and Aku no Hana, then you can panic.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
With well over 1400 songs of many different genres by over 100 artists and counting. I guess one could say vocaloid music is my heroin like addition to my ears. To anyone who thinks that Hatsune Miku is the only vocaloid singer you couldn't be more wrong. Miku alone now has 8 different voices including one in English. and the others also have different voice tones called "appends" now too.

It doesn't matter which vocaloid it is, it the the tech itself that I don't get on with. I can't stand to listen to even live human voices if too much processing is used, which seems to be becoming the standard in music these days (why everyone wants to sound like a drowning robot I really can't figure). The extreme example is back when we had kids around the house and we had a voice changer megaphone that they loved shouting into and it made me want to stab fountain pens in my ears.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
With well over 1400 songs of many different genres by over 100 artists and counting. I guess one could say vocaloid music is my heroin like addition to my ears. To anyone who thinks that Hatsune Miku is the only vocaloid singer you couldn't be more wrong. Miku alone now has 8 different voices including one in English. and the others also have different voice tones called "appends" now too.

It doesn't matter which vocaloid it is, it the the tech itself that I don't get on with. I can't stand to listen to even live human voices if too much processing is used, which seems to be becoming the standard in music these days (why everyone wants to sound like a drowning robot I really can't figure). The extreme example is back when we had kids around the house and we had a voice changer megaphone that they loved shouting into and it made me want to stab fountain pens in my ears.
Ah, Parental Post Truamatic Stress. I feel your pain there mate, but for me listening to the music from vocaloid artist was a form of therapy. I can't put my finger on it except to me it acts like an opiate on my brain. Not all mind you and I do have many living artists and bands that i've listened and still play now and again, but mostly all of them now are either retired, doing other thing that don't appeal to me, are sick, dying, or dead. My discovery of vocaloid, and the artists that have been exposed because of it, has truely brought music back into my life again.

jymmy wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
But

In grammar, a conjunction (abbreviated CONJ or CNJ) is a part of speech that connects two words, sentences, phrases or clauses. A discourse connective is a conjunction joining sentences. This definition may overlap with that of other parts of speech, so what constitutes a "conjunction" must be defined for each language. In general, a conjunction is an invariable grammatical particle, and it may or may not stand between the items it conjoins.

The definition may also be extended to idiomatic phrases that behave as a unit with the same function, for example as well as, provided that.

Many students are taught that certain conjunctions (such as "and", "but", "because", and "so") should not begin sentences. But authorities such as the Chicago Manual of Style state that this teaching has "no historical or grammatical foundation.
Butt, but weeever mate! Laughing

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought that Horriblesubs would have been shut down by now, but it seems that they're being left alone because they discourage fansubbers. If older fansubbers quit and newer fans don't get into it, it's likely to just fade away. And it seems it may be harder to find translators. A good translator can get paid work so they don't need to do it for free.

I think one factor in the reduction of fansubs is that so much of the older material has already been done, whereas before it was old and new material that was getting fansubbed. It's just the newer material and anything with even moderate interest tends to get picked up by companies. It's not that there's old material that could be done, but just not so much of it now.

However, we are seeing an increase in the subbing of live action shows.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I would have thought that Horriblesubs would have been shut down by now, but it seems that they're being left alone because they discourage fansubbers. If older fansubbers quit and newer fans don't get into it, it's likely to just fade away. And it seems it may be harder to find translators. A good translator can get paid work so they don't need to do it for free.

Whats the deal with Horriblesubs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Jave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

It was my understanding HorribleSubs does what they do because they dislike Crunchyroll and people downloading their rips means people who aren't using Crunchyroll's service. Why they aren't shut down, well, maybe companies don't care enough or it's more trouble than it's worth Laughing Fansubbers still exist plenty it's just most usually go for the shows Crunchyroll doesn't get or people who don't like their translations or they don't pick up the OVAs and movies associated with a series.

If Crunchyroll went away fansubbers would return just fine. I just think they're in a state of hibernation because there isn't as much demand for them.. but if the world ever needs heroes again, they'll answer that call Laughing I like to think of it as some kind of Cold War.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Horriblesubs are basically just light crunchyroll/funimation edits. seems extremely pointless
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Okay, I get it now. mdo7's position on the decline of the anime industry has nothing to do with sales or amount of series produced, both of which appear robust right now, it's just it's not the anime he likes that are coming out constantly. I think that also rings false because there's been a ton of that content as well. What do you want, another Cowboy Bebop every season? That's not only being unreasonable, that's being ridiculous, as if that sort of thing actually occurred in the 90s. That also ignores other successes like Fate/Zero, Yamato 2199, Gundam Unicorn, Break Blade, Shingeki no Kyojin, and Psycho-Pass, as well as shows the women enjoy like UtaPri, Free!, KuroBas, and Magi. Pointing out the biggest sellers is entertaining, but a show is still going to get into the black if it comes out in the 4-5k range, which a lot of them do. Maybe when everything goes the way of C3-bu and Aku no Hana, then you can panic.

I'll admit I lost touch with anime for a while due to some lack of good shows and I was also studying in college (alongside internship) so I didn't have time to see other good anime out there. Strike Witches and Rio: Rainbow Gate was the last anime I watch before I lost touch. But I can see there are a lot of moe anime out there and a little less innovative anime I like. However, I got chance to watch Jormungand yesterday and that anime is quite interesting. I am planning to watch Attack on Titan, Ace of the Diamond, and Space Brothers. Heck I got a lot to watch this month(K-dramas, horror movies, American TV shows like Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D, Revolutions, Law & Order: SVU, etc....), and including playing video games on my PS3. So yeah it's going to take me a while to catch up on my anime again since I'm busy with other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
But if the world ever needs heroes again, they'll answer that call Laughing I like to think of it as some kind of Cold War.

Bad translations and plastering your name over an anime is not "heroic." It's bullshit and idiotic. Just watch shows that have a PROPER subbed home video release. Or watch Crunchyroll. Or something.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Horriblesubs are basically just light crunchyroll/funimation edits. seems extremely pointless

Not if you live outside the US where some shows slip through the streaming net.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Seriously? There are people that are still going on about how "the anime industry in Japan is dying"? Yeah, it's on the verge of collapse. I mean look at the facts: more and more shows are created, more and more show are selling past 10.000 units per volume... wait...

While the total net worth of the anime industry may be down, the sales are NOT. There's tons of stuff being made, and I don't think it's some sort of swan song, since it's been going on for 2 years now. This season alone, there are 30 new anime being made that are not for children, and that's not counting sequels. How can you say it's in decline when more and more is being produced?

As for Horrible-Subs, they are an interesting bunch. I will say that Crunchyroll was the best thing that could have happened for fansubs. Before CR, getting translators was a pain in the ass, and now, you don't have to. CR has, in fact, made downloading anime much easier. Ironic, isn't it?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

If Crunchyroll went away fansubbers would return just fine.
Crunchyroll will never go away. They'll just revert back to being fansubbers themselves again, as will all the other now reputable streamers, with a dubiously dodgy past. Laughing
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever had issues with Crunchyroll's player lagging or buffering excessively. I've used it for streaming to my PC, iPad, and Android phone. Looked and performs great on everything.

I did drop my Funi subscription a few years ago because I was irritated with their player, but I haven't gone back to check it out since then.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I don't think I've ever had issues with Crunchyroll's player lagging or buffering excessively. I've used it for streaming to my PC, iPad, and Android phone. Looked and performs great on everything.

I did drop my Funi subscription a few years ago because I was irritated with their player, but I haven't gone back to check it out since then.

Same here. I have been able to stream Crunchyroll perfectly fine in fullscreen on a 8 year old PC, so I am not sure the issues people are having. I have not had any buffering issues in years unless it comes to the Roku app.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9