• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Actually, at the beginning of every preview guide I routinely see people practically begging Zac for his sarcastic reviews. Then he does, and gets another group of guys (who are probably the same guys every time) who think that Zac went out of his way to insult them personally, even though he was really just responding to the requests of the first set of people. Its messed up for him no matter what he does. Confused

This begs the question: Is Zac's role on ANN that of a clown who struts his stuff out every preview guy for the laughter and merriment of the circus audience or is he a professional editor for a reputable website?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

This begs the question: Is Zac's role on ANN that of a clown who struts his stuff out every preview guy for the laughter and merriment of the circus audience or is he a professional editor for a reputable website?

This too.

Also, it would really help if his "Sarcastic" reviews were...well, sarcastic. The only one that fits is Sengoku Collection, which actually was pretty funny, assuming you know his taste. Again I feel it was wasted on that show.

His Upotte and NnKX reviews were not sarcastic by any stretch of the imagination. This has nothing to do with my opinion of his opinion or how he expressed it, but a simple statement of objective fact. They were not sarcasm.

To go back to a point I made earlier, my issue isn't with Zac so much as it is with how his position here at ANN gives him a large soapbox. Someone mentioned Zero Punctuation earlier, and that is a similar situation. Those reviews may or may not be Yahtzee's real opinions, I don't know and honestly I don't care, he's funny. But there is a big problem of people using his reviews unironically to bash things they don't like, or have decided they shouldn't like because of his reviews.

As for the "Moe Money, Moe Problems" podcast, it boils down to that Zac doesn't like what the majority of anime output is these days. Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for those who do like that output, that is what is selling. Whining that Japan isn't making the type of anime you personally like is incredibly unmoving to me. Hell, they aren't really making the anime I'd like, though last season was getting really close...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP I COME BACK 24 HOURS AND 10 PAGES LATER AND YOU ARE STILL FIGHTING OVER ZAC'S REVIEW OF MGX?!?!?

*grabs a drink*

Well, at least the focus seems to have shifted from "ANN is an evil organization trying to bury all good anime behind an anti-good anime agenda" to "Zac is just a jerk and we hate him yet insist on reading his reviews."

Seriously: Don't read his reviews! I don't understand why this is so hard. Is the mere existence of a person disagreeing with you offensive to your sensibilities? Do you think that by screaming in this forum you're going to change what some of us happen to enjoy reading?

And for those of us responding, myself included Embarassed , do we really think that at the end of the day they're going to shut up? So let's just ignore it from now on.

I know that's never going to happen, but it's what I'm going to strive for personally.

In the meantime, Zac, you have my support, and I think the support of the majority of readers. Don't get discouraged by the haters, for as one of our great poets put it, they gonna hate. Smile

Jormungand comes out tonight (in Japan, where I am right now), and I'm interested in whether that's any good, so I have that to look forward to. And... two more days until noitaminA! Kids on the Slope! Woohoo!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Actually, at the beginning of every preview guide I routinely see people practically begging Zac for his sarcastic reviews. Then he does, and gets another group of guys (who are probably the same guys every time) who think that Zac went out of his way to insult them personally, even though he was really just responding to the requests of the first set of people. Its messed up for him no matter what he does. Confused

No. It just illustrates that Zac is not only an employee of this site, but is also is part of an established community here. Most of us are familiar with the way he does things. You wouldn't know that because you fall in to the second category I mentioned. You basically only show up here during the preview guides, and then disappear until the next preview guide.

....Well, maybe not you personally, but the nature of your commentary and post count follow the predictable pattern.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
I notice some people seem to be mistaking "negative" for "sarcastic". Guys, so far the only sarcastic review I've seen from Zac is the Sengoku Collection one.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
SO, I know absolutely nothing about H.P Lovecraft. For those who've seen it, will that negatively affect my viewing of Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos?

I'm just wondering whether there would be any point in me watching the first episode :]
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

No. It just illustrates that Zac is not only an employee of this site, but is also is part of an established community here. Most of us are familiar with the way he does things. You wouldn't know that because you fall in to the second category I mentioned. You basically only show up here during the preview guides, and then disappear until the next preview guide.

....Well, maybe not you personally, but the nature of your commentary and post count follow the predictable pattern.

I apologize for being new, not spamming the forums with trolls and other post count padding devices so prevalent in this community. I wear my small post count as a badge of shame. Are you happy now?

And to those so fixated on MGX, its not JUST about that particular preview. It is just that that is a pretty darn good example.

@Yorozuya Yes, not having knowledge of basic Cthlulu mythos will impact you, but a quick run through the wikipedia article will give you enough information to survive with most of your sanity points intact.

Last edited by 誤称 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
SO, I know absolutely nothing about H.P Lovecraft. For those who've seen it, will that negatively affect my viewing of Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos?

I'm just wondering whether there would be any point in me watching the first episode :]

Not really, its honestly just window dressing.

Just enjoy Asumin on speed.
opn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
I notice some people seem to be mistaking "negative" for "sarcastic". Guys, so far the only sarcastic review I've seen from Zac is the Sengoku Collection one.

he did a sarcastic review of clannad after story way back too thats about it i think unless someone knows a couple more.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:

Well, since Carl kept calling Nyarko "the Cthulhu" of the series instead of Nyarlathotep, I wonder how much he knows about Lovecraft...

"What his fate would be, he did not know; but he felt that he was held for the coming of that frightful soul and messenger of infinity's Other Gods, the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep." (Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath)

"And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished; for the small hours were rent with the screams of a nightmare." (Nyarlathotep)

So, is this series meant to be a parody of how everything gets turned into cute girls (and boys; see Hetalia), so why not messengers of the Outer Gods? If not, this sounds awfully dumb, and if so, how far can you stretch that joke? I am probably not the right person for this series, since I take Lovecraft way too seriously.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

So, is this series meant to be a parody of how everything gets turned into cute girls (and boys; see Hetalia), so why not messengers of the Outer Gods? If not, this sounds awfully dumb, and if so, how far can you stretch that joke? I am probably not the right person for this series, since I take Lovecraft way too seriously.

The show has a lot in common with Keroro Gunso, if you are looking for a good comparison in terms of the comedy.

The Cthulu Mythos was just a convenient framework to hang things on, though its obvious the people involved are quite familiar with it, and having a lot of fun.

Also, Gundam references.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
HOLY CRAP I COME BACK 24 HOURS AND 10 PAGES LATER AND YOU ARE STILL FIGHTING OVER ZAC'S REVIEW OF MGX?!?!?

*grabs a drink*

Wait, is ANN a bar now? I'll take a glass of scotch, neat. Oh, I'd better start practicing my pickup lines while I'm at it.

*achem*

Hey, baby, I'm the guy who ate the guy you wanted to give your number to. How 'bout you write it down so I can swallow and pass it along?

Remarkably, that actually sounded even worse in my head.

vashfanatic wrote:
Jormungand comes out tonight (in Japan, where I am right now), and I'm interested in whether that's any good, so I have that to look forward to. And... two more days until noitaminA! Kids on the Slope! Woohoo!

I'm not sure if there'll be previews for Jormungand because FUNImation has the streaming rights for it, but probably won't begin to stream it until after the guide has ended. I think that ANN policy for these guides disallows using fansubs for something that has been licensed. I hope that I'm wrong or that there's a way around that, because I'm interested in Jormungand.

I can't hardly wait for Thursday. Half of me is worried that the almost ludicrous expectations that so many have for Kids on the Slope won't be met. If naught else, I feel pretty comfortable having high hopes for the music and it'll be interesting to find out if I can detect anything of the Kyūshū dialect that's reportedly used in it. Whatever the case, Thursday is definitely the 'big day' so far as I'm concerned.

I almost want there to there to be a scathingly sarcastic review of Kids on the Slope, just to contrast the ongoing nightmare reaction to the treatment of Mysterious Girlfriend X. I mean, brass instruments do have spit valves.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Wait, is ANN a bar now? I'll take a glass of sotch, neat. Oh, I'd better start practicing my pickup lines.

Hey, baby, I'm the guy who ate the guy you wanted to give your number to. How 'bout you write it down so I can swallow and pass it along?

Laughing One can only imagine the stunning success that line would bring you should you ever decide to deploy it in the field.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Imagine if dtm24 wasn't banned... Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Hey, I may be an anime fangirl, but that doesn't mean I'm into yaoi!

...Oh, you mean the other kind of "ate." Wink

Quote:
I'm not sure if there'll be previews for Jormungand because FUNImation has the streaming rights for it, but probably won't begin to stream it until after the guide has ended. I think that ANN policy for these guides disallows using fansubs for something that has been licensed.

Funimation has said they'll "simulcast" Jormungand on NicoNico, and while that sometimes means a little bit of a delay, even if it's a week the preview guide sometimes stays up that long. Obviously it'll be up to the reviewers to decide whether they want to keep working on it that long.

dragon695 wrote:
Imagine if dtm24 wasn't banned...

Yeah, what was the final straw for that one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 69