• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, maybe his tastes are a bit more well rounded then what I just said... I just remember the stuff he gives higher scores to are typically anime aimed at older school fans (like Lupin and Space Pirates), while he bashes anything aimed at otaku.

I'm sorry if I seem kinda confrontational about his style, but it just kind of annoying as a big fan of otaku anime. He constantly makes fun of every otaku show he can, while at least the other reviewers give the shows a chance and say why they dislike it... like his whole review for Haganai was complaining about why these shows are made instead of actually focusing on the show itself.

I should really just try to ignore the reviews he posts, since its probably just done to upset people who like those shows to begin with.

But even self-identifying otaku who love otaku shows have complained that Sengoku Collection is rubbish. I think Zac is only echoing the general consensus for once. It really is that bad.

Edit: Eagerly awaiting Zac's review of Is This a Zombie? of the Dead!

Last edited by dragon695 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, maybe his tastes are a bit more well rounded then what I just said... I just remember the stuff he gives higher scores to are typically anime aimed at older school fans (like Lupin and Space Pirates), while he bashes anything aimed at otaku.

I'm sorry if I seem kinda confrontational about his style, but it just kind of annoying as a big fan of otaku anime. He constantly makes fun of every otaku show he can, while at least the other reviewers give the shows a chance and say why they dislike it... like his whole review for Haganai was complaining about why these shows are made instead of actually focusing on the show itself.

I should really just try to ignore the reviews he posts, since its probably just done to upset people who like those shows to begin with.

Why should he give his reasons it is basically the same thing that pops up every year.It is just a bunch of boobs being thrown at your screen along with yell-a-lot-and-it-will-be-funny jokes,and his reviews are not meant to piss you off they are meant for the other side of otaku community you know the one that actually likes shows which are good

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2."Is This a Zombie? of the Dead:"I don't really have a problem with harem series. Some are good,some are bad. Since I haven't seen "Is This a Zombie?" or it's sequel series,I can't comment on it. From what I've read about it,it seems like a retread of "Rosario + Vampire" except they kept the action scenes in there. Maybe I'll see it one day,who knows?

Please don't put Rosario + Vampire on the same level as Is This a Zombie? Is this a Zombie? is a cleaver and funny parody that pokes fun of stupid supernatural harem shows, Rosario + Vampire is just a stupid supernatural harem show.

Anyways I was hoping that crunchyroll was going to pick up Is this a Zombie? of the Dead since they had the first series, but maybe Funimation is working on getting the rights to release it so maybe Nico Nico will pick it up? I don't really care as long as someone does.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Quote:
2."Is This a Zombie? of the Dead:"I don't really have a problem with harem series. Some are good,some are bad. Since I haven't seen "Is This a Zombie?" or it's sequel series,I can't comment on it. From what I've read about it,it seems like a retread of "Rosario + Vampire" except they kept the action scenes in there. Maybe I'll see it one day,who knows?

Please don't put Rosario + Vampire on the same level as Is This a Zombie? Is this a Zombie? is a cleaver and funny parody that pokes fun of stupid supernatural harem shows, Rosario + Vampire is just a stupid supernatural harem show.

Anyways I was hoping that crunchyroll was going to pick up Is this a Zombie? of the Dead since they had the first series, but maybe Funimation is working on getting the rights to release it so maybe Nico Nico will pick it up? I don't really care as long as someone does.

they are both the same thing it's just how they are adapted/handled from the source material. Gonzo went with a safety net route to get the generic fan-base. Is this a zombie is being handled a-lot better by studio deen since they know how to do poke fun and do decent comedies "in my opinion" hell that's why higurahsi kira file two was so much fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Since it's already been reviewed by one of the rest of us (namely, me), he probably won't do it. His schedule is so hectic during these Preview Guides that he usually only reviews stuff himself if he's the first to get to it or he has a particular interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Damn you Zac. The review made me curious enough to check out Sengoku even though I had no intention of doing so.... I feel deceived. Even though I was expecting it... but a bit deceived again since the intro was kinda well done. And you were so right. That hamburger scene was a big deciding point for the series. "Wait... that's it?..."
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Since it's already been reviewed by one of the rest of us (namely, me), he probably won't do it. His schedule is so hectic during these Preview Guides that he usually only reviews stuff himself if he's the first to get to it or he has a particular interest.

Well, please save Upotte!! and Queen's Blade: Rebellion for him, since his review of Sengoku Collection was absolutely hilarious!!! Laughing This pure comedy gold only comes once a season, you know...

Last edited by dragon695 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:

Funny. I watched 5 or 6 episodes of Zombie and I didn't see any sort of parody that pokes fun of stupid supernatural harem shows. The only thing resembling parody that I saw was the main character parodying the mahou shoujo genre by becoming a masou shoujo. However, the show is still a stupid supernatural harem show. If it's funny for you, that's great, enjoy it, but it's pretty much around the same as R+V for me.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
050795 wrote:

Funny. I watched 5 or 6 episodes of Zombie and I didn't see any sort of parody that pokes fun of stupid supernatural harem shows. The only thing resembling parody that I saw was the main character parodying the mahou shoujo genre by becoming a masou shoujo. However, the show is still a stupid supernatural harem show. If it's funny for you, that's great, enjoy it, but it's pretty much around the same as R+V for me.

maybe but how many shows can you say are about zombie that crossdress as magical girl and wields a chainsaw to kill bad-guys?? I am willing to let that aspect slide becasue it's so over the top suda 51 crazy type of materiel. You know the type where you need some really decent pot, pen and paper to come up with these ideas.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised you can't see the parody in Zombie Descarr, Meggido. It's hilariously obvious to me. I loved the first volume, one of the funniest manga volumes I read in a long while.

Also, it's a shame that Sengoku Collection sucks balls. Fem!Nobunaga is frickin' CUTE. That design should've been used in another anime.
joecoolhascome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
@ZacBertschy Though I sometimes find myself disagreeing with a few shows you review (every once in a while it's good to have a show where you go brain dead and enjoy it), you have always provided a humorous preview guide and I thank you for that.

Should I ever run into you at the local Fry's I will gladly shake your hand.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Sengoku - I really hope that's sarcasm. X3
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Well, that's just the garden variety cognitive bias that haunts us all. We tend to reshape our perception and memories of the world in ways that conform to our expectations and prejudices.

RyanSaotome wrote:

Oh, don't think that. I think that they're meant more to entertain people like... well, me, who find 'otaku shows' more than a little exasperating, so it's cathartic for us to read him throw metaphorical acid in their faces. The shows that get treated that way tend to be almost review-proof. So, why not have some fun with them? Nobody's mind was likely to be changed either way and at least the nay side gets a laugh out of it.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Zac is a comedy genius. In fact, he should be writing for Letterman or the Daily Show. The US anime industry is holding him back. The way he zinged that anime was outrageous! I don't know what he'll write next.but I 'm sure it'll be shocking and extreme.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
You know, one of the things that bugs me most about shows like Sengoku Collection, is that the gender-swapped people never even look slightly like the person they supposedly are.

If you looked at Pink-Hair!Nobunaga from that anime there, not knowing a single thing about the anime, would YOU know that she was gender-swapped nobunaga? Hell no, you wouldn't. I mean, at least take SOME defining feature about the historical figure and use it. It doesn't have be from their physique/facial structure/whatever either: Strike Witches simply had the striker units resemble the planes they were based off of, for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 69