• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Canadian Cosplayer Arrested in Japan on Suspicion of False Marriage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:17 am Reply with quote
Thinking about she was intending to stay in Japan to marry Japanese person and even doing something illegal stuff.

Hey there, i wonder how Japan will ever start accepting immigrants? There are some people who loves anime/manga and video games fans who wants to live and work in Japan, because Japan has a population declining in recent years. Japan's government should lets immigrants who are obessed with Japanese culture, why Japan wants to keep their country as a homogeneous for no reasons.

Also, Japan needs to be more multicultural in many ways, accepting large foreign cultures to the other countrries and accept these foreigners in to their society.

References:
https://www.quora.com/Will-Japan-ever-become-multicultural
http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2016/10/13/a-japanese-multicultural-society-still-far-off/
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2014/06/18/voices/japans-immigration-principle-looking-solid-ever/
https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/01/asia/japan-migrants-immigration/index.html
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Also, Japan needs to be more multicultural in many ways, accepting large foreign cultures to the other countrries and accept these foreigners in to their society.

I don't disagree with the logic behind that at all, but you're confounding "this makes the most sense from my viewpoint" with "[they] need to do that".
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

I don't disagree with the logic behind that at all, but you're confounding "this makes the most sense from my viewpoint" with "[they] need to do that".

I am just letting a little something on what is going on to Japan today.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Thinking about she was intending to stay in Japan to marry Japanese person and even doing something illegal stuff.

Hey there, i wonder how Japan will ever start accepting immigrants? There are some people who loves anime/manga and video games fans who wants to live and work in Japan, because Japan has a population declining in recent years. Japan's government should lets immigrants who are obessed with Japanese culture, why Japan wants to keep their country as a homogeneous for no reasons.

Japan are starting to accept more emigrants, but is more on a student visa, high skills immigrants and low skills emigrants with limited duration visa.

Japanese-language abilities are not necessary for highly skilled workers wanting visas, but only a handful of companies work in English

Low skills workers, must pass a Japanese exam, and are not allowed to bring their families and will not be able to under the “designated-skills” visa.
In June the government announced that it would create this “designated-skills” visa in order to bring in 500,000 new workers by 2025, in agriculture, construction, hotels, nursing and shipbuilding.
This "designated-skills" are what Japanese search at when are looking at low skill immigrants.
There are limited time visas for workers that are needed for a specific work,.

The opinion of having more immigrants are changing but the majority opinion is that if they come to Japan they should respect Japanese culture and obey Japanese customs.

Is a policy of assimilation on the Japanese society. They are afraid that integration don't work because of the big problems that are happening in the western world that they see as failing of multiculturalism and failed integration policies.

So they prefer assimilation.
Is like, If there will be immigration to Japan, is OK as long as they adopt the Japanese culture.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
If only they'd lived separate lives in the same house, they'd have passed as a legit, happily married couple.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:20 am Reply with quote
@Jonny Mendes

I knew about the change on Japan's immigration policies through the news outlet, but these types seems to be pretty all lie to me. Because Japan always tend to let these foreingers stay at least 5 years before leaving. Japan policy makers are even rectulant to use the word "immigrant", instead they use the word "entrants" or "guest workers".

I am hoping for new generations to take the political measures and accept immigrants, since the newer generations are more opened to foreigners then the older generations are. Sad

I know there is a one foreigner who works for the Pokemon based in Japan is James Turner, an graphic designer from UK works for The Game Freak, the video game company responsible for the Pokemon franchise.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
@Jonny Mendes

I knew about the change on Japan's immigration policies through the news outlet, but these types seems to be pretty all lie to me. Because Japan always tend to let these foreingers stay at least 5 years before leaving. Japan policy makers are even rectulant to use the word "immigrant", instead they use the word "entrants" or "guest workers".

I am hoping for new generations to take the political measures and accept immigrants, since the newer generations are more opened to foreigners then the older generations are. Sad

I know there is a one foreigner who works for the Pokemon based in Japan is James Turner, an graphic designer from UK works for The Game Freak, the video game company responsible for the Pokemon franchise.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2018/06/22/editorials/take-steps-attract-foreign-workers/

Quote:
Under the decision featured in the outline of the government’s economic and fiscal policy, the new status will be accorded to those who will work in sectors suffering from acute domestic manpower — including agriculture, construction, shipbuilding, lodging services and elderly nursing care — after passing skills tests in each sector and Japanese language exam. The maximum term of their residence will be five years.

Quote:
The government maintains that its decision on the new visa status is not a policy to accept immigrants — against which opposition remains strong within the ruling Liberal Democratic Party. Along with the maximum five-year limit on their stay, the workers under the planned visa status will not be allowed to bring family members to Japan — although the government is reportedly considering giving workers on such status a chance to gain the status for workers with professional expertise — who will be free from such restrictions — if they have obtained higher skills.

You are right about they don't call them immigrant because of policy but the limits i talked about are true. Only if the worker obtain higher skills and become a high skill worker they will lift these limits.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Sheriru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
Why is this News worthy? Just because some Girl faked Marriage? Has Japan nothing else to report? Is she famous? Rolling Eyes
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
@Jonny Mendes

Well, that's alright though. I wonder whenever Japan will began its large scale immigration, i hope it will impact through 2020 Summer Olympics.

Here is some articles from Quora:
https://www.quora.com/Do-you-think-the-2020-Tokyo-Olympics-can-cure-Japans-xenophobia-disorder
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
@Jonny Mendes

Well, that's alright though. I wonder whenever Japan will began its large scale immigration, i hope it will impact through 2020 Summer Olympics.

Here is some articles from Quora:
https://www.quora.com/Do-you-think-the-2020-Tokyo-Olympics-can-cure-Japans-xenophobia-disorder

That probably never going to happen even with the Olympics.

This are not only in Japan. Other Asian countries like South Korea and China are also very ethnically homogeneous nations and not very receptive to immigration.
And have many restrictions also.

The policy pass by including technology and robotics substituting the aging workforce and measures like the ones we talked before if the technology can't still work.

Also measures to increase the birthrate but that ones are not working so far.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
@Jonny Mendes

Well yeah, i know that. But i've heard an article from the World Politics Review that Japan is ending rivaling with South Korea and China/Taiwan for its major destionation for migrants.

Here is the link:
https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/trend-lines/25127/japan-says-yes-to-foreign-workers-but-no-to-immigration

And i'll quote here:
Quote:
Even as it takes this new step, however, the government faces competition from other advanced economies in the region with similar demographic profiles. A 2014 report by state broadcaster NHK found that many prospective guest workers from Vietnam and Myanmar preferred to go work in either South Korea or Taiwan because those countries’ guest worker visas allow more flexibility, with longer stays and the possibility of returning for a second time.

So i'm thinking that Japan could follow the same footsteps as Korea and China to allow more migrants, mostly from African countries, where the birthrate in African is higher than any countries and also known to have the youngest population in the world.

And i don't know if robots can solve the labor shortage in Japan, because robots can't do anything tasks that humans can do.
青白

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
She looks so ugly.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

This are not only in Japan. Other Asian countries like South Korea and China are also very ethnically homogeneous nations and not very receptive to immigration.
And have many restrictions also.

Also measures to increase the birthrate but that ones are not working so far.

Technically, Japan has two indigenous people, these are: Ainu, the original inhabitant in Hokkaido and Ryukuyan, an indigenous people who hail from Okinawa, in which Okinawa was once part of an Ryukyu Kingdom until Japan annexted them in 1872 and turned them into an prefectural Japan.

China has some 55 minorities living in the country, in which Chinese goverment recognize them as ethinc minorties.

South Korea, on the other hand, still remains homogeneous to this day and the country never had indigenous people that time.

References:
http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p315341/pdf/book.pdf?referer=1188
#sukkar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
Sheriru wrote:
Why is this News worthy? Just because some Girl faked Marriage? Has Japan nothing else to report? Is she famous? Rolling Eyes

It's not super common in Japan and Japanese society already has a tenuous relationship with foreigners integrating.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

So i'm thinking that Japan could follow the same footsteps as Korea and China to allow more migrants, mostly from African countries, where the birthrate in African is higher than any countries and also known to have the youngest population in the world.

And i don't know if robots can solve the labor shortage in Japan, because robots can't do anything tasks that humans can do.

That's why they use this recent "designated-skills" program for task that machines can't do so far.

This is been looked as a means to have the workforce they need and don't have the problems that Europe have with integration of immigrants and families that are bringing out the worse kind of xenophobia that are appearing in European countries because of backlash against immigrants.

Japan will have the flexibility to decide how many foreign workers they will need for certain tasks and how long they will stay. Also if some of them are exceptional ,they will keep them as high skill workers.

Also for the foreigners that means that after the others return from Japan at the end of the 5 years, more people will be able to have the opportunity to apply to the program.

And probably most people under this program will come from other Asian countries like Philippines, Vietnam, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3