• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Universal Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
about the Index/Railgun series:

It is really strange to license the spin-off and not the original even though the two shows tie in together. It would make more sense if you license them both together in one. I do understand that Misaka Mikoto is the most popular character in the series.

But I hope someone will mention the license of the Index/Railgun series along with a dub. I really want to hear Johnny Yong Bosch as Accelerator, spoiler[the best anti-hero in anime].
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was in the room. It's very clear that their titles will be dubbed if the company that licenses them for distribution in the US wants to dub them. Geneon is not bringing back their DVD production and distribution business; they don't even have a US office here anymore (I asked the company rep about that at the panel).

So if Funimation licenses their titles, and Funimation continues to dub everything, those titles will be dubbed. That's how this is gonna work.

I wasn't sure if this meant Funimation was licensing or simply distributing these titles for Geneon. Thank you for making that clear.
jwood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
More funimation confirms via twitter:

Quote:
@lockmastah we can confirm Black Lagoon the third series and Railgun too but act surprised when we say it at our panel later. Smile
http://twitter.com/funimation/status/17604141969
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Awesome on Railgun being licensed - my brother will like hearing this when he gets home tonight (as far as I know, he's only watched Index but has plans on watching Railgun so this will be interesting).

And I can just imagine the Gaia AMC blowing up in excitement over the Hellsing announcement, particularly a few people on there who are crazed Hellsing fanatics. Anime hyper I may have to spend an hour or so on there tonight enjoying the fun.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hrrm. =_= It still feels weird that they're prioritizing Railgun over Index...
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're saving Index for the actual panel. I hope they're saving something for the panel at least.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

I think the reason Funimation passed on Index but picked up Railgun was because Railgun is more character oriented, has a simpler story, and more fan-servicey. While Index has a rather confusing, convoluted story, and a less likable protagonist plus a lot less fan-service.

Hopefully if Railgun sells well for Funi it'll motivate them to swoop up Index too.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Yeah, this brings more questions than answers. The storyline in the Index series is very interesting (particularly when you get to the Last Order arch spoiler[where someone like Accelerator is seen as a most feared person by others ends up having some redeeming qualities, thus effectively makes him an anti-hero]).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about Railgun/Index whatever, but I am happy about the Hellsing confirmation. I am even happier to see that Geneon is letting loose some of these titles. I had begun to think that they were holding back their catalog out of some perverse sort of spite.

I would really love the rest of Saiunkoku, but I know I am probably in the minority on that one.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited at the prospect of Hellsing Ultimate getting dubbed again. Hellsing has one of my favourite dubs of all time. Very Happy

Last edited by Sima Yi on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Railgun instead of Index, I wonder if the fact that Index has a lot of religious connotations (including The Church) made Funi more cautious about picking it up?

I like Misaka a lot, too. But to me, she is the ONLY reason to watch Railgun, and frequently that's not a strong enough reason. I pretty much dropped Railgun mid-season because the main supporting characters didn't do anything for me.

Yeah, Index had its weaknesses, but it was overall a deeper, more moving series. I especially remember the scene with Touma and Misaka, and Misaka is terrified that the Accelerator is going to kill her the same way he has killed all of her clones. I don't recall anything in Railgun that had that sort of impact, certainly not on me.

But, I guess I should be happy: if they're willing to license Railgun, then maybe Index itself will be in the offing at a later date.

Edit: Ha! Looks like Funi did pick up Index (and a bunch of other stuff), so that's that. Now please excuse me while I go do my happy dance.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, Index got licensed by FUNi. No need to make the tons of question marks about Index anymore. Anime smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

So if Funimation licenses their titles, and Funimation continues to dub everything, those titles will be dubbed. That's how this is gonna work.
But if Nodubi gets them you're right stuffed mate. Wink
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
According to Mania's article on this Geneon claims that they don't want to dub their stuff.
Quote:
When talking about Black Lagoon, Hellsing and Railgun, the panelists said (paraphrased), “by these.. we're not sure... but we think they will be distributed by FUNimation”

Q: Are any of the series you are releasing going to be dubbed into english
A: For the dubs, we will discuss those with funimation but we don't want to

I hate to say it but if Black Lagoon and Hellsing aren't dubbed with the original English cast I'm probably not going to buy them. Railgun I'm perfectly fine with it being sub-only.

As Zac already said, this would be massive typing fail on my part. That should read:
A: For the dubs, we will discuss those with funimation but we do want to
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Regarding Railgun instead of Index, I wonder if the fact that Index has a lot of religious connotations (including The Church) made Funi more cautious about picking it up?

Ah, so that explains why they passed on Trinity Blood, Chrono Crusade and Hellsing ;P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4