• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Evangelion Discussion. ( Spoilers, so be warned)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
llwtflll wrote:
What I'm concerned about is whether one of these two sets contains any cuts or censorship that the other doesn't. Are they both completely uncut and uncensored or is one "inferior" in that respect?

Both are uncut and neither is inferior to the other in terms of actual show content. Both include the New Production Cuts (or "Director's Cuts") along with the remainder of the series.

Also, if you can track down a copy, The End of Evangelion is also necessary viewing.

tehwexxl0rz wrote:
Ughhh, all this talk about Anno's alleged ulterior motives annoys me to no end. If you don't want to support the guy then just don't buy his work!

What the hell does this have to do with anything?

Oh, wait I get it: because I point out that Anno is likely doing this for monetary reasons -- not that I really care, as long as the end product is good -- I'm a cheapskate. What a brilliant display of logic.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. I don't care that he's trying to make money because he usually comes out with something good anyway. I mean all those fan service figures of Rei and Asuka, those are high art right?
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Well aside from the fact that evangelion was never about money in the beggining for anno. It was about him exploring what he wanted to explore via anime. I got this impression with KareKano aswell. Of course evangelion is going to make lots of money as it became very popular but that isnt a reason to claim that he is simply doing it for the money. Just wait and see. From watching the trailer it definatly seems that anno isnt just dishing up yesturdays leftovers. There is new content, new story and hopefully some new character dynamics. The last point is rather scary for me as the character dynamics were very pivitol to the last series and I dont particularly want them upset too much, but like I said, Anno seems to have a natural talent for this in the first place so I'm looking forward to see his new character ''mari'' in action.

Quote:
Everything that Anno does is motivated by ego -- whether it's artistic intent or a grab for more money. The fanatics are only there to be toyed with or disregarded.

QFT, Theres nothing anno likes better in my mind than toying with his fanbase and sometimes going out of his way to give them the two finger salute. He is a bit of a troll really.

I also should point out that I really hate arguments that begin with '' If you dont like it, dont watch it'' so I'm just going to ignore this if I see it.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Right, I've only just had a chance to see the new 2nd Rebuild of evangelion you can [not] advance trailer in all it's direct feed glory so im posting it up for all of you who missed it in the news section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhMFs61-R4

http://geofront.ru/img/evmha_zsi92hp8pk_1000k.wmv

Dean
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Rebuild 2:0 You can not advance, has been out a couple of days now. Im planning on putting up a review(courtesy of Ornette over at EvaGeeks) on here for all those that want to read up on the movie before they see it. I'm not going to put the review in Spoiler tags but I will put plenty of Warnings at the top of the page.

Cheers

Dean.

Last edited by Ikari1 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ornette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I gave a review of it here: http://www.evageeks.org/2009/06/my-spoilerless-evangelion-2-0-review/

No spoilers.

And a full detailed review of it here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=250258#250258

Tons of spoilers, don't read that if you don't want to have the movie ruined for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kichigai_Usagi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
OK folks i hate to say this but i just watched EVA 2.0 in Tokyo today!
You're going to love the second installment, it's got some new and very different twists!

I will only say this.......Asuka gets the same just out of the shower exposure that shinji got on his first day at Misato's home.

The only difference is that they used a straw instead of the toothpick can! And ol Shinji gets a real eyeful of Auska, followed by a kick to the face, Haiya!

I'll never complain about ticket prices again, i paid $18.50 for my seat in the nose bleed section, and they are all reserved seating, no first come first seated.

10 stars out of 5 from this old Sith !
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Hey, just wondering if anyone here saw the dubbed version, and if so, what did you think of it. The nearest showing for me was a 2-hour flight, and will be a 3-hour one in Sept unless the schedule changes.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
How nice for you, though some people are really picky about being spoilered so you may want to use the proper tags in the future.
Kichigai_Usagi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree that spoilers are bad. However, what i posted has absolutely nothing to do with the plot or general story, it was just a funny reversal on the original gag!
Now if you want a spoiler; #############and then.,,,,.

Save us shinji, the Gundams have now officially invaded TOKYO !
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Kichigai_Usagi wrote:
I agree that spoilers are bad. However, what i posted has absolutely nothing to do with the plot or general story, it was just a funny reversal on the original gag!
Now if you want a spoiler; #############and then.,,,,.

Save us shinji, the Gundams have now officially invaded TOKYO !

While I don't happen to think this way, I do know quite a few people who hate spoilers regardless of the content. Think of it like this: If you're told about a gag before seeing said gag then the gag won't be as funny when you see it because you're expecting it. Just saying you might want to use tags in the future or edit your original post to include them, y'know as a courtesy to others.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reviews, Ornette. Only skimmed through the spoiler-ridden one, but the changes seem interesting.

Also, replying to a post from here.

vashfanatic wrote:
Like I said, the staff has said that most of this is not heavily symbolic, that they settled on many of them because they looked neat.

Tsurumaki, who served as an assistant director, has stated this, not Anno. He also stated that it has no Christian meaning -- I completely agree with this. And given that Anno came into contact with psychoanalysis during his breakdown, I'd be surprised if he hadn't read Jung. (I'm also not arguing that all of the religious references aren't arbitrary, either.)

Quote:
At best, the connections between Evangelion and Kabbalah are tenuous and superficial. The human quest for knowledge of God? Sure, but they only picked the Kabbalah tree because it was neat and exotic. A Shingon mandala would've expressed the same thing and been as equally vague.

That would just make it a strict allegory, as well as a different story.

Quote:
And the idea that you can read Jung into this series? Evanglion is Freudian, all the way.

Freud is hardly the only influence.

Quote:
Nobody is encountering their male/female doubles

Not having one aspect of the totality of one's theories does not mean that there is not influence elsewhere.

Also, on a mostly inconsequential note: Shinji actually has a short vision of himself as a female in one shot during The End of Evangelion.

Quote:
and grasping with their shadows

Huh?

The four main characters -- Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Misato -- all directly deal with this. Anno devotes episodes and most of the final two episodes to Jung's shadows; he takes it to such literal extremes that an angel in episode 16 resembles a shadow, takes Shinji in, where the angel then assumes the form of Shinji and starts talking about his shortcomings and grievances that our clinically-depressed lead doesn't want to confront. I shouldn't even have to mention the past incarnations of Rei and her numerous monologues.

Quote:
while trying to find individuation and union with a universal subconscious

Carl Jung wrote:
Access to the collective psyche means a renewal of life for the individual, no matter whether this renewal is felt as pleasant or unpleasant. Everybody would like to hold fast to this renewal: one man because it enhances his life feeling, another because it promises a rich harvest of knowledge, a third because he has discovered the key that will transform his whole life. Therefore all those who do not wish to deprive themselves of the great treasures that lie buried in the collective psyche will strive by every means possible to maintain their newly won connection with the primal source of life. Identification would seem to be the shortest road to this, for the dissolution of the persona in the collective psyche positively invites one to wed oneself with the abyss and blot out all memory in its embrace. This piece of mysticism is innate in all better men as the "longing for the mother," the nostalgia for the source from which we came.

See: Seele's plot, Gendo's yearning for Yui, the Evangelion pilots, humanity's desires of easy comfort, the whole concept of Lilith, et cetera.

vashfanatic wrote:
And lastly: it has two meanings, you say? And what are those meanings?!?! This is my point: it doesn't matter that in other circumstances crosses have significant meaning, unless you can tell me what crosses are supposed to mean in Evangelion itself, they are a motif, not a symbol.

That was my point with the displaced metaphor.

Within the story, the cross explosions by the angels either signal an attack or an end to the battle. Likewise, it is a common association thanks to Christianity that the cross is not only associated with death, but also martyrdom -- a means to progress a cause. The cross that Lilith is on takes this meeting as both reverence and a tool by those in Seele and the higher-ups in Nerv; same deal for when Shinji's psyche is destroyed, as the story's Illuminati see EVA-01 and its occupant akin to a sacrificial lambs. And, incidentally, Misato's cross necklace signifies direct relation to the angels and an incredibly traumatic event; yet, for Shinji, it becomes a symbol of hope and an attachment to reality, consequently leading him to redemption through Misato's sacrifice and words. You can apply this to other parallels, such as the humanist subversion of a supposed Eden being rejected for a painful yet potentially fulfilling life. Hell, the concept of returning to the beginning goes back to the earliest developments of Abrahamic religions, where Aristotle's God, Its aspects and the notion of "returning to the source" all had a tremendous impact on those religions.

BUT!

None of this is not to state nor imply that Evangelion is a Judeo-Christian allegory, or has any religious meaning. Easy way to differentiate between this is how the mythos of the Sumerians and Zoroastrians were taken and made into their own importance in Abrahamic religions -- meanings may be similar, but they are still removed from their original context.

Quote:
I'm not saying Evangelion doesn't have merit or depths or anything, just that people read way too much into the various mythological flourishes that are mostly there as window dressing for an existentialist psychological piece.

I'm also not stating that application of Jung is warranted to understanding the narrative of Evangelion -- certainly not any more than just recognizing how Freud is applied as the base to create a bildungsroman and allegory for mecha, and anime in general -- nor am I stating that each and every one has some secondary meaning to the audience. I'd also like to further emphasize that I'm not stating that Evangelion is a Christian story; it's very humanist in its ideals. The main messages of Evangelion are very upfront. These analyses are separate from that, where they may engage in subtexts that may or may not have relevancy to the narrative thrust. Thematically, Evangelion is a mess (hell, the story itself is really messy, but that's part of its charms), and I do not view it as the "deepest anime ever" or whatever nonsense some fans see it as; however, it's just as reductive to just dismiss the psychoanalytical elements pertaining to religion.

I've never engaged in some drawn-out interpretation of Evangelion from that perspective because I don't find it terribly useful, and just see whatever is there -- as I do with the Freud and other Jung references -- as simple reinforcements of the ideas already there (which any well-done story with at least a few layered-concepts has). Still, I find a self-aware discussion about superficial parallels between Yui as God and Rei as Jesus to at least be more interesting (and thusly relating this to an examination of their character; i.e. Yui's inaction in EoE; Rei's acceptance of her fate and allowance of Shinji's free will) than a lame "Shinji is such an emo" assertion, or some Anno-fellatio by fans who like to think that it's all a perfectly-constructed puzzle, and those who do not understand this are idiots.
wizardz199

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion was quite the series. It held several views on religion including christianity, islam, and kabbalah. What people fail to realize is that Evangelion is beyond just simple religious topics, it delves into metaphysics as well dealing with transcendental mind tricks as well as schizophrenic tones withing the psyche of Shinji. It was quite the mind trip.

People usually call this anime a jumbled mess, but when one analyzes it carefully, then it could be seen as a philosophical work with several of the aspects that make anime the great artform that it is; such as the fighting robots, angsty teens, and the moe female characters. Not to mention that Hideaki Anno (Correct me if I am wrong) went into a mental institution while he was creating this series. So of course it would be a bit weird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
wizardz199 wrote:
Evangelion was quite the series. It held several views on religion including christianity, islam, and kabbalah.

When did it *ever* offer a view on any of these religions? (particularly, "Islam" seems to have come out of left field here)
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When did it *ever* offer a view on any of these religions? (particularly, "Islam" seems to have come out of left field here)

V - . Whilst evangelion doesnt present us with it's views on religion, there are a number of ideas or images that can be said to have taken influenence from certain religious images and ideas. Bearing in mind again however that the staff and Anno still maintain that in the series and EoE, they only included certain images becasue they simply ''looked good''. Thier presence in the film isnt supposed to reflect on the story in anyway but rather be there as pretty visuals. I do think that it terms of the series and EoE however, there are a number of coincidences however that could or could not have been intentional references to religious ideas. The Adam and Eve 'image situation' created right at the end of EoE is one such point of contest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 23