• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
purpose of raws?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halostryke

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
a few months agp i dl'ed a gundam seed special and it turned out to be pure japanese, it would be great if i could understand their language. Anyways i believe a fan sub group named [EDIT - No names, please. -C] releases such things and my questiin is why? please dont take my comments as a bashing, but i want to know what the purpose or intent of releasing a raw title that very few will be able to understand is for?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
halostryke wrote:
a few months agp i dl'ed a gundam seed special and it turned out to be pure japanese, it would be great if i could understand their language. Anyways i believe a fan sub group named [EDIT - No names, please. -C] releases such things and my questiin is why? please don't take my comments as a bashing, but i want to know what the purpose or intent of releasing a raw title that very few will be able to understand is for?

because some do understand it, and some like to also have the genuine article without all the fansub logos written all over it. they also come out faster, cause isn't as much work involved.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
halostryke wrote:
what the purpose or intent of releasing a raw title that very few will be able to understand is for?

Please don't post names of groups here, raw or otherwise.

Anyway, raw groups exist for a number of reasons..
Some provide raws for Japanese fans who don't pay for TV, or who missed an episode and forgot to record it.
Others feed a small audience of fans who speak Japanese to a high degree, and have no need for subtitles.
A few raw groups act as sources that other groups then turn into their subtitled works.

Some fans download them, even if they don't understand them, just to be able to boast that they've seen the show before their (fansub-downloading) friends!

They're all a part of the "fansub" scene, and they fill the very same role that fansubbers and fansub distros do.. of course, their audience is a tad smaller, and probably more fluent in Japanese than the average fansub viewer.. but it still boils down to video piracy via the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:58 am Reply with quote
With live-action Sailor Moon, I found I actually preferred watching raws, since it's already cheesy fun, but it's even more fun if you only understand maybe a quarter of what's being said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:08 am Reply with quote
I only know a few basic Japanese words, so I'm in the "download them, even if they don't understand them" category. I just don't do it so I can boast. I do it because I want to see the next episode of the show and I don't want to wait on the fansubbers.

Anyway, when a show has a giant cliffhanger you just watched, and you HAVE to know what happens next, and you know the fansub won't be out for another 5 days, and you know you can download it without fansubs NOW... you download it. Once you get used to it being raw, it's not that hard to enjoy the show.

Another added bonus is for those trying to learn Japanese. Not depending on subtitles to understand the story actually makes you use your ears more, as well as the actor's body language, and you start picking up the words and recognizing them. If you watch nothing but raws for a long period of time, it's actually possible to learn a language. It's how my grandmother learned Spanish from watching the Spanish channel all the time.

I'm with you Tenchi on watching raws of live-action Sailor Moon. That show has way to many good cliffhangers for me to not wait for the fansubbers to get it out 6 days after the next ep is released. I'll take the raw to get some understanding of what happens then just wait and go nuts for days with no idea. Course lately they've been stepping away from the cheesy fun and getting into long serious conversations that make it hard to understand what's going. But still, nice to get the main idea of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1